GoWindlass

roggie

Featured Posts

Curiously, I saw one of these in use just this morning. Weight wise, it felt about the same as my bog standard twin eyed job. The woman using it said she liked it but didn't think it would have wide appeal. The ratchet allows you to throw your weight down onto the arm without having to drag it on round through the awkward bit but there's no greater mechanical advantage than a standard windlass. It's made of alloy, so doubt that a magnet would pick it up, and my concern would be for the robustness of the pawl in the ratchet.

It reminded me of some of the fancy gadgets that used to be advertised in the back of the motor mags.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Make your mind up, is he being sexist or misogynistic? Different things. 

Insofar as misogyny can be considered to be the moral manifestation of a sexist ideology they’re not actually so much different in themselves, just different approaches to describing the same thing. :P

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

It's made of alloy, so doubt that a magnet would pick it up,

The FAQs section of their web-site says it is made from carbon steel....

Q: What is GO Windlass made of? - Carbon Steel

The GO Windlass is made of #45 carbon steel, it is hardened and tempered during production to provide optimum strength and robustness. It has then been fully chrome plated.

also that it is magnet friendly......

The Ratchet Windlass with attractive qualities..

magnets will love the GOWindlass, even small ones!

43 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The FAQs section of their web-site says it is made from carbon steel....

also that it is magnet friendly......

Ah, right, must admit didn't ask, just noted that it was a) shiny white metal and b ) comparatively light so not stainless. So when the chrome gets scratched, the carbon steel will start rusting, presumably?

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Insofar as misogyny can be considered to be the moral manifestation of a sexist ideology they’re not actually so much different in themselves, just different approaches to describing the same thing. :P

Its all beyond me these big words. During our days boating today the missus did as always all the lockwheeling and I did the driving and she sure as hell had all the babies so whats all this PC crap big word stuff about? I just typed reality.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Its all beyond me these big words. During our days boating today the missus did as always all the lockwheeling and I did the driving and she sure as hell had all the babies so whats all this PC crap big word stuff about? I just typed reality.

All I was saying is to leave the women’s work to the wimmin ;)

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There is a subtle but noticeable difference (perhaps too subtle for you) between typing what your wife prefers to do and suggesting that it is what all women should do.

Incidentally it is quite clear to me you are trolling

Edited by Jerra
to insert a missing )
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Incidentally it is quite clear to me you were joking. 

Mrsmelly, you've got some heavy PC brigade members on your Port Beam, repel borders.

i have absolutely no issues with your humour, well I think it is, I read a couple of posts to my better half, once she had finished cooking,cleaning and washing up, she laughed so much that there was a delay in her getting dogs out on their walk.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jerra said:

There is a subtle but noticeable difference (perhaps too subtle for you) between typing what your wife prefers to do and suggesting that it is what all women should do.

Incidentally it is quite clear to me you are trolling

I dont do subtle, never have never will. Nor do I pussey foot about, I call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Incidentally it is quite clear to me you were joking. 

Thats because you and I have been around and seen plenty of life in our formative years innitt :D

It is interesting - Jobs for women. Mrs Bob, never liked driving. She hated driving cars except for the Porsche Boxster we had. I always drive now. She is much happier driving the boat but prefers to do the locks as the person steering has to climb on the roof to do part of the lock work and Mrs Bob doesnt do boat roofs.

I have a feeling it will suffer the same fate as the one similar introduced in the late 60's/early 70's bought by the few who must have the latest gizmo's odd folk who thought it might ease paddle operation  Few sales & died the death

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It is interesting - Jobs for women. Mrs Bob, never liked driving. She hated driving cars except for the Porsche Boxster we had. I always drive now. She is much happier driving the boat but prefers to do the locks as the person steering has to climb on the roof to do part of the lock work and Mrs Bob doesnt do boat roofs.

Why do you go on the roof Bob?

1 minute ago, X Alan W said:

I have a feeling it will suffer the same fate as the one similar introduced in the late 60's/early 70's bought by the few who must have the latest gizmo's odd folk who thought it might ease paddle operation  Few sales & died the death

They all died? Was there Ricin on the handles then? That sounds bad.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Why do you go on the roof Bob?

I climb off the boat to finish the locking while Mrs Bob is off to set up the next lock. You get to the  pub quicker that way.