GoWindlass

roggie

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It is interesting - Jobs for women. Mrs Bob, never liked driving. She hated driving cars except for the Porsche Boxster we had. I always drive now. She is much happier driving the boat but prefers to do the locks as the person steering has to climb on the roof to do part of the lock work and Mrs Bob doesnt do boat roofs.

Like mrsmelly and Rusty, I notice around me there are jobs women tend to prefer to do, and other jobs the men tend to do. In the round, blokes tend to steer the boat and women tend to operate the locks. Women tend to have the babies and blokes tend to mend the car and mow the lawn. 

If noticing the existence of these tendencies makes me misogynist and sexist, then add me to the list.

But then I notice there are lots of exceptions to these tendencies, so perhaps take me back off again. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

They all died? Was there Ricin on the handles then? That sounds bad.

I climb off the boat to finish the locking while Mrs Bob is off to set up the next lock. You get to the  pub quicker that way.

mmmmmmmmm well stay on the boat dont get on the roof but tell the missus to run to the next lock to set it up then you still get to the pub quickly but the crew still do all the work :D

• Haha 1

When we are boating I like doing locks and Iain likes steering BUT if he stayed at the tiller all the time we are doing locks, he would soon be looking for a new locking partner :-) . You see them all the time, males who stand at the tiller, in a monarch of all they survey mode while their good lady does all the work. What's to stop him getting off and closing gates and winding paddles, I often think? It amazes me how seldom the "monarch" steps off (in narrow locks) to close the off side paddle as the boat goes in or out of the lock. Where do they think the boat is going to go if they relinquish their post, I wonder? 

Iain likes doing locks too and we share the work and that way we both enjoy it more

haggis

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

When we are boating I like doing locks and Iain likes steering BUT if he stayed at the tiller all the time we are doing locks, he would soon be looking for a new locking partner :-) . You see them all the time, males who stand at the tiller, in a monarch of all they survey mode while their good lady does all the work. What's to stop him getting off and closing gates and winding paddles, I often think? It amazes me how seldom the "monarch" steps off (in narrow locks) to close the off side paddle as the boat goes in or out of the lock. Where do they think the boat is going to go if they relinquish their post, I wonder? 

Iain likes doing locks too and we share the work and that way we both enjoy it more

haggis

You will have us believe he does the washing up next!!

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

Similar with us. Yes I do wash the dishes.:P

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

1 hour ago, haggis said:

haggis

Yes I notice this too. 

I much prefer to work the lock than to steer the boat in an out, which if you ask a woman doing the locks, she will usually tell you too. But failing to get off the boat the shut the gate right next to you is plain weird. 

As a single hander however, I get to do it ALL*. Yay!  

*Except when some interfering busybody turns up and and insists on 'helping'. This is when I get distracted and tend to leave behind a windlass. (Miserable git, moi?)

What is all this nonsense about women being unwilling /unable to steer boats into locks? Jan nearly always steered our boat into locks, whilst I did the lock wheeling, and to be honest she was a lot better than many men who were prepared to let their wives struggle with heavy gates, whilst they were engaged in the "more important role" of stopping the boat from hitting them.

She always preferred to go into double locks second after the first boat had been secured, as that ensured that there was no violent hull bashing which many men seemed unable to avoid. What was more annoying was the condescending "Well done" which she often got when performing the task without collision, as if it was something a woman was not expected to be able to do. Although more women are now taking on the steering role, there still is an unfortunate sexist atttude amongst many men that steering is a "man's job" which women are unable to perform, or even allowed learn how to do.

• Happy 2

11 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

What is all this nonsense about women being unwilling /unable to steer boats into locks? Jan nearly always steered our boat into locks, whilst I did the lock wheeling, and to be honest she was a lot better than many men who were prepared to let their wives struggle with heavy gates, whilst they were engaged in the "more important role" of stopping the boat from hitting them.

She always preferred to go into double locks second after the first boat had been secured, as that ensured that there was no violent hull bashing which many men seemed unable to avoid. What was more annoying was the condescending "Well done" which she often got when performing the task without collision, as if it was something a woman was not expected to be able to do. Although more women are now taking on the steering role, there still is an unfortunate sexist atttude amongst many men that steering is a "man's job" which women are unable to perform, or even allowed learn how to do.

After all that has been said, to be perfectly honest, most boaters, share fair and square, all that has to be done.

Locks, Margaret won't steer the boat if there's people within half a mile of us, she prefers working the locks than steering, for myself, I occasionally insist that I work a lock or two. Margaret is more than capable and proficient at boat handling but prefers not to. It's a matter of choice and preference. I do, if the occasion arises, leap off, (understatement) the boat and close gates and paddles.

Margaret, after 44 years of marriage, is very much aware of my sense of humour, and indeed doeson occasion show her humorous side. 

Not restricted to, but it helps, being ex-service creates a certain twist to PC situations. Everyone to their own. It's all good fun 'innit'.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

*Except when some interfering busybody turns up and and insists on 'helping'. This is when I get distracted and tend to leave behind a windlass. (Miserable git, moi?)

Shh! This is exactly how I source my spare windlasses! :ninja:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Saudi Arabia had things spot on until last year when they finaly allowed women to drive motor vehicles. Standards are dropping everywhere. They will get the vote next!!

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I found Mrs Rusty a nice lightweight aluminium windlass at a lock once. It lasted one lock before it was lost.

I stupidly through it over the lock, missed and it slipped in. Doh! 

We have a selection of alloy ones for the missus but her fave one that she had for years was a Dunton double but she found out it didnt float near a lock on the south Oxford a few years ago and I havnt come across another to buy her.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have a selection of alloy ones for the missus but her fave one that she had for years was a Dunton double but she found out it didnt float near a lock on the south Oxford a few years ago and I havnt come across another to buy her.

Ooops. Bound to happen sooner or later.

Just as well it weren't you. I still haven't heard the last of the one I lost! 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I found Mrs Rusty a nice lightweight aluminium windlass at a lock once. It lasted one lock before it was lost.

I stupidly through it over the lock, missed and it slipped in. Doh! 

I read that as you found a nice rusty aluminium windlass!

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your comments, well perhaps not all of them. My wife hates steering, I did trick her last year into 'doing' one Lock (Hatton top) by pulling the boat into the lock and by the time she noticed we were going down the lock. She exited and enterered the next perfectly but then refused to steer any more. My original question was about the 'new' windlass but I get the idea that not many of you out there thinks it will be too much of a advantage - we have all sorts of windlesses onboard, long ones, unique ones, alu ones and ones with plastic handles. 

Off to the Nene & Great Ouse this year so will obviously use a different one there as well. I'll pass on commenting on washing up, cleaning etc. 

• 1 month later...

GoWindlass: Just come back from three weeks on the boat and I used it all the time. Liked it a lot. Bit more weight than a 'standard' windlass which gave it a bit of 'oomph' and the shaft length is half way between short and long throw. Since I also managed to crash down onto the bank (yes, I slipped on the stern!) and couldn't do the 'all the way round' windlassing, the ratchet mechanism was wonderful. Lots of people had a look and a try when they saw me with it. It's my new favourite!

Women Doing Locks: Almost always I do them, he drives (though he does do rear gates, do the paddles etc.). Reason? If he drives, I'm doing jobs in the boat as we travel - food, cleaning, washing, sorting, writing lists, getting sorted for the evening etc. If I drive, he gets a cup of coffee and stands up beside me. So it's a no brainer. If we both want to get a drink and sit down and enjoy the afternoon/evening when we moor, we both have to do the jobs in the daytime. And I like doing locks 

On 14/04/2018 at 23:22, roggie said:

Has anyone tried one of these new windlasses? £79.99 so would rather some recommendations.

https://gowindlass.co.uk/index.php

The thing that I immediately notice is that it is designed for only on size of spindle.  I need to use my windlass on Hatton and the BCN.

N

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:33, mrsmelly said:

Saudi Arabia had things spot on until last year when they finaly allowed women to drive motor vehicles. Standards are dropping everywhere. They will get the vote next!!

Some years ago I visited  XXXXXXXXXX (a country that shall not be named or the religion mentioned) where the women folk followed a 3 paces behind the men-folk and was told 'they know their place'. I recently re-visited and noticed that the women now walked in front of the men and asked my 'guide' "is this a new freedom for women, do they now have more rights ?" to which he replied "no, but after the war no one knows where all the land mines were planted"

• Haha 2