Keeping the Paint on a Front Deck

Featured Posts

Well its slowly getting round to that time of year when I will be able to do a little Boat Painting , I have the Front Well Deck to do and the Rear Sliding Hatch .

My Boat is a Tug Style and my Main Entrance is through the Front Deck , over the years I have struggled to keep the Raddle Red on the Front Deck for any

length of time and I have been considering placing some rubber matting on top when I next repaint , the trouble of course is that dirt and moisture will no

doubt become trapped and it will turn out to be a futile exercise , does anyone have any thoughts ?

Yes. I have had gloss paint and raddle etc on the front deck over the years. I now once a year use black comastic stuff thats used for hull blacking. No messing about,  looks fine and takes the punishment.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes. I have had gloss paint and raddle etc on the front deck over the years. I now once a year use black comastic stuff thats used for hull blacking. No messing about,  looks fine and takes the punishment.

Thats interesting,someone told me it would walk into the boat leaving a mess on the floor. I considered blacking the gunwales to the cabin edge

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

does anyone have any thoughts ?

Yes. Stop stressing about the paint, you’ll be dead before the deck rusts through. 

Get on with enjoying using your boat. (Unless keeping it immaculate is what you actually enjoy, obvs)

I use the heavy duty rubber (not hard plastic) interlocking matting with holes on it. You do have to lift it perhaps twice a year to flush away the crap. No drama. Also use it on rear deck for grip and its easy on the calf muscles. ;)

8 minutes ago, Peter Reed said:

Where do you get this from please?

Got mine from Midland Chandlers when they had it on offer but I'm sure you can get it elsewhere.

It has worked well on my tug deck (be sure to let any paint under it dry completely before installing it).

If you haven't seen it look for interlocking "carpet squares" but made of tough rubber, mine is green but it comes in various colours.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats interesting,someone told me it would walk into the boat leaving a mess on the floor. I considered blacking the gunwales to the cabin edge

No problems at all. I use comastic it doesnt walk in at all I suppose bitumen might?

You can no longer buy Comastic due to H&S issues, dont paint your deck or gunnels in blacking you will regret it. I use Epifanes Multiforte 

Fast drying, semi gloss, durable paint suitable for decks, walkways and roofs. Provides excellent protection for high traffic areas.

The added acrylic copolymer element gives this paint excellent adhesion to almost any surface.

Use on wood, steel and aluminium, inside and outside of above the water line, in combination with the corresponding primers.

For increased gloss level: add 10% Epifanes Clear Gloss Varnish.

Tough, durable semi-gloss finish

Excellent surface adhesion

Easy maintenance

In my experience if you put solid rubber matting on a deck, (as opposed to something with an open grid that can hopefully drain and dry out), it will remain wet underneath, and any attempt to paint with anything will quickly get damaged and start rusting.

However I agree that standard raddle isn't up to the job either.

On 14/04/2018 at 20:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Stop stressing about the paint, you’ll be dead before the deck rusts through. 

Get on with enjoying using your boat. (Unless keeping it immaculate is what you actually enjoy, obvs)

You are right of course Mike , its just that the rest of the Boat is relatively tidy and this Front Deck just detracts

from it . How come the Plutocracy that own these Hudsons don't have similar issues ?

" Its paint Mike but not as we know it " 

18 hours ago, Chalky White said:

You can no longer buy Comastic due to H&S issues, dont paint your deck or gunnels in blacking you will regret it. I use Epifanes Multiforte 

Fast drying, semi gloss, durable paint suitable for decks, walkways and roofs. Provides excellent protection for high traffic areas.

The added acrylic copolymer element gives this paint excellent adhesion to almost any surface.

Use on wood, steel and aluminium, inside and outside of above the water line, in combination with the corresponding primers.

For increased gloss level: add 10% Epifanes Clear Gloss Varnish.

Tough, durable semi-gloss finish

Excellent surface adhesion

Easy maintenance

Ive got plenty for my  use and now you have posted this will  get another couple of tins for stock!! Its typical that anything that actualy works is no longer manufactured.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ive got plenty for my  use and now you have posted this will  get another couple of tins for stock!! Its typical that anything that actualy works is no longer manufactured.

Absolutely! Leaded petrol, asbestos, countless pesticides, radium toothpaste  - bring it all back! :P

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Absolutely! Leaded petrol, asbestos, countless pesticides, radium toothpaste  - bring it all back! :P

What was that brilliant paint stripper called? I used some about thirty years ago and it actualy stripped paint. I bought some about five years ago and they might as well not sell it anymore as vinigar would probably be more effective :(

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What was that brilliant paint stripper called? I used some about thirty years ago and it actualy stripped paint. I bought some about five years ago and they might as well not sell it anymore as vinigar would probably be more effective :(

Nitromors?  Can’t you buy it now?

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Nitromors?  Can’t you buy it now?

Shortly before I got married, way back in 1977, my future father-in-law bought an MGB and accidentally dropped an open tin of Nitromors onto the front wing.

He went to wipe it off with a cloth and it took it the wing back to bare metal :huh:

34 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... this listing on Screwfix reckons it’s Up to 100% more effective than the old stuff. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nitromors-all-purpose-paint-varnish-remover-4ltr/48440?cm_sp=landingpage-_-azbrands-_-nitromors&_requestid=406393

It used to say OXO on the side of buses but I enquired once and they didnt sell them. Maybe they have again changed it recently though and it works again due to complaints?