Brick attack on the Macc

Gareth E

Featured Posts

A couple of hours ago I was having my daily kayak. Passed under bridge 10, near High Lane park. A few seconds after 'kadoosh' something big landed in the water about 3 feet to the side of me. I stopped, heard a couple of people laughing but didn't see anyone.

Might pay to keep your eyes open and be aware, if you're going through this area.

I thought about contacting the police, but decided a post on here might have more practical value. 

• Greenie 1

We had a similar occurrence at this exact location a couple of years ago, but with a rather different conclusion. Going north through the bridge on a very windy day, there was a loud crack and a tree on the off towpath side fell down right across the cut and  onto  the towpath , a few yards in front of the boat. I got off the boat to see what could be done and took a rope round the trunk to try and drag the tree out of the way. At that moment three teenagers came out of the park and helped me pull the tree to the side , which we managed after a bit of a struggle. I thanked them and we went our way. So, they aren't all bad in High Lane Park. :)

If we had been half a minute earlier, that tree could have been on our heads or worse than that it  could have damaged the boat!

I remember having bricks lobbed at us, as we  paddled canoes ( they weren't called Kayaks then)  through Macclesfield in 1968, nothing new on earth is there?

Bill

5 hours ago, Gareth E said:

A couple of hours ago I was having my daily kayak. Passed under bridge 10, near High Lane park. A few seconds after 'kadoosh' something big landed in the water about 3 feet to the side of me. I stopped, heard a couple of people laughing but didn't see anyone.

Might pay to keep your eyes open and be aware, if you're going through this area.

I thought about contacting the police, but decided a post on here might have more practical value. 

It’s an odd one, but I do think the majority of stone throwers don’t aim to hit. More of a bravado thing with mates. 

However, I have been hit by stone throwers. The little f######. 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We will see who knows what a Fletton is now

No Flettons  in High Lane, there was  a local brickworks (for local people) . They were lighter than normal, being made of fly-ash from Power Stations  so you could chuck 'em further.

44 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

According to Google...

Fletton is a residential area and electoral ward of the city of Peterborough

and according to the dictionary a fletton is:

a type of relatively soft and porous brick made from Oxford clay, of which a large amount comes from near Fletton in Cambridgeshire.

On 4/15/2018 at 08:30, Jerra said:

and according to the dictionary a fletton is:

a type of relatively soft and porous brick made from Oxford clay, of which a large amount comes from near Fletton in Cambridgeshire.

There won't be many of those in Macc, then. Traditional bricks don't have frogs around here.

Many years ago I worked with a guy from Saint Helena, he had not been in this country very long, so was not aware of all the regional accents

One day he was sent to the builders merchants by the cockney foreman to get some Common Flettons.

You can imagine the look on the faces of the counter staff when he asked for some common flat ones............