Lister CE

smithwrecker

Featured Posts

Good morning all, it’s been a while since I’ve made any posts and I hope everyone is well.

my question is, has anybody got any experience or knowledge of the Lister CE in any narrowboats?

ive been offered one, I believe it’s a genuine marine version(haven’t picked it up yet but I will post some pics when I do), it’s rated at 16hp but I can’t find any torque figures for it.

power wise I’m sure it’ll be fine(looking to put it in a 60’ boat) but looking at the specs, it’s an over square engine and from experience, I’ve found them to be lacking torque.

I’ve heared rumour of a 70’ boat that has one fitted and it frequently pulled a butty.

any information will be gratefully received.

The Lister CE is a less common engine in narrow boats as it was generally overlooked in favour of its larger cousin the JP. We have a couple of them here in the queue for restoration. A lot of internal similarities with the JP although few transferable parts. Both wet and dry sump marine versions were available. Like the JP range they don't take kindly to be over revved, especially when bearings are becoming worn and will, like a JP, break the very angular crankshaft. Some have reciprocating water pumps which are prone to leak .

They are a smaller engine than the JP but very capable and very reliable if well maintained. Pretty too. Sound good as well

It should be fine in a well propped 60' boat.

In my working days there was a"Josher with a CETrying to remember it's name I've seen it loaded with 20ish tons of Felspar ,Weston Point to the Potteries never knew it to have lack of power problems & as far as I knew reliable, remember helping a guy up the Fradley locks with a shortened "Josher" he was taking it to Warwickshire Fly for work he was strugging a bit having sprained his ankle again no engine problems guess it all depends on mechanical conditions

Edited by X Alan W

There was a boat moored at ashwood marina when my boat was there five or six years ago with one that sounded absolutely gorgeous. This one had twin flywheels iirc so must have  been the industrial version. Very, very slow tickover. An engine i’d love to own. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

T&S Element's Ben still has its original Lister CE.

http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/ben

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/395/ben

Incidentally the engine is a CE , not a CE2, and was produced in industrial "CE" and marine "CEM" versions.  

It has 2 cylinders, but the corresponding single cylinder engine is a CD/CDM. See, for example http://realdiesels.co.uk/listerdata.html

A friend had a CE in his 60ft NB, because it couldn't swing a particularly large prop 18" springs to mind he fitted it with a 1:1 gearbox. The boat (Lexa) went very well for many years until the CE crank broke. can't remember what engine  he replaced it with.

On 13/04/2018 at 12:50, David Mack said:

T&S Element's Ben still has its original Lister CE.

And the W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. built TRENT No.5 is also still as built in 1946 with a Lister CE - good enough for a carrying narrow boat so definitely good enough for a pleasure narrow boat.

On 13/04/2018 at 08:09, X Alan W said:

In my working days there was a"Josher with a CETrying to remember it's name I've seen it loaded with 20ish tons of Felspar ,Weston Point to the Potteries never knew it to have lack of power problems & as far as I knew reliable, remember helping a guy up the Fradley locks with a shortened "Josher" he was taking it to Warwickshire Fly for work he was strugging a bit having sprained his ankle again no engine problems guess it all depends on mechanical conditions

Keith Christie's exF.M.C. Ltd. motor LYNX was powered by a Lister CE from 1966 until about 1968 when it was replaced with a Lister JP2.

edit = and would the shortened F.M.C. Ltd. be VICTORY ?

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

A friend had a CE in his 60ft NB, because it couldn't swing a particularly large prop 18" springs to mind he fitted it with a 1:1 gearbox. The boat (Lexa) went very well for many years until the CE crank broke. 

Not uncommon, I understand. It also seems the engine/gearbox/prop combination is a bit more fussy with the CE

10 hours ago, pete harrison said:

And the W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. built TRENT No.5 is also still as built in 1946 with a Lister CE - good enough for a carrying narrow boat so definitely good enough for a pleasure narrow boat.

Keith Christie's exF.M.C. Ltd. motor LYNX was powered by a Lister CE from 1966 until about 1968 when it was replaced with a Lister JP2.

edit = and would the shortened F.M.C. Ltd. be VICTORY ?

I have a feelng it was 1 of the NW fleet "Lynx " doesn't ring a bell but it was a while back The Fradley boat could well have been " Victory"ISTR it had a partial extension cabin  it was in a bit of a sad state & he said he was on his way to WFBC for work & then it was being put up for sale can't remember the year but it was after my full time boating days

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

Not uncommon, I understand. It also seems the engine/gearbox/prop combination is a bit more fussy with the CE

Yes that's why I mentioned it. Took a lot of thought to get to the 1:1 box its not a common way to go but is the only way with a shallow draft boat and slow reving engine.

11 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I have a feelng it was 1 of the NW fleet "Lynx " doesn't ring a bell but it was a while back The Fradley boat could well have been " Victory"ISTR it had a partial extension cabin  it was in a bit of a sad state & he said he was on his way to WFBC for work & then it was being put up for sale can't remember the year but it was after my full time boating days

Interesting. I have quite extensive records of North Western Division carrying boats but I have none that suggests any were fitted with a Lister CE - a few Lister JP2's and FR2's, a handful of Lister HA2's, several Parsons Merganser's and several that retained a Bolinder :captain:

edit = MENDIP is powered by the same Lister FR2 as fitted by 'British Waterways' when it was in trade.

Edited by pete harrison

On 13/04/2018 at 08:09, steamraiser2 said:

The Lister CE is a less common engine in narrow boats as it was generally overlooked in favour of its larger cousin the JP. We have a couple of them here in the queue for restoration. A lot of internal similarities with the JP although few transferable parts. Both wet and dry sump marine versions were available. Like the JP range they don't take kindly to be over revved, especially when bearings are becoming worn and will, like a JP, break the very angular crankshaft. Some have reciprocating water pumps which are prone to leak .

They are a smaller engine than the JP but very capable and very reliable if well maintained. Pretty too. Sound good as well

It should be fine in a well propped 60' boat.

So, are they very prone to breaking cranks? I’d hate to go to all the trouble of fitting it, only to have to scrap it later because it’s broke the crank and I can’t find one???

54 minutes ago, smithwrecker said:

So, are they very prone to breaking cranks? I’d hate to go to all the trouble of fitting it, only to have to scrap it later because it’s broke the crank and I can’t find one???

On 13/04/2018 at 08:09, steamraiser2 said:

Like the JP range they don't take kindly to be over revved, especially when bearings are becoming worn and will, like a JP, break the very angular crankshaft.

So, neglected CEs break cranks. They do seem to be around, although it's likely most cranks are in the possession of CE owners worried about breaking cranks

We sold an incomplete CE with a crank last year to a CE owner

Richard

CE marine cranks are different to the industrial ones and not interchangeable. Maintain your engine properly and you are unlikely to have a problem. It should not put you off having one in a boat, they are great little engines, different and one of the best sounding twins around. CEs are around so it is always worth keeping your eye out for one as a spares source.

Edited by steamraiser2
typo

• 1 year later...

I have a 1939 CE in my 57'8" narrowboat - India Number 1. It's a superb engine that turns heads with its mellow tone and resonance and is quite able to travel all of the UK's navigable rivers. In the twelve years of ownership it hasn't missed a beat although, like others, I have acquired a 'spares or repair' CE to keep in the garage just in case something gives up the ghost. If you're ok about relaxed cruising- it's obviously not as powerful as a JP2- I personally wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.