Hand Operated Klaxon Horn

Parahandy

Featured Posts

I wonder if I could ask for some advice or thoughts on the following , I recently won an Ebay Auction for a new Hand Operated

Klaxon Horn . Although a couple of Decades old , the item an RS Components Product came Boxed with Papers and attached to

a mounting bracket , I am minded to mount it on the rear sliding hatch perhaps with wing nuts to allow removal thus preventing

theft . An issue which comes to mind is the plugging of the holes when the Horn is removed especially in the winter when the Boat

is moored , anyone any thoughts ? thanks in advance .

A mounting bracket, probably made to suit rather than the one supplied, that bolts permanently to the slide (or even welded on), the Klaxon then bolts to this new mounting bracket, a two part mounting bracket if you like.

............Dave

Hi

The usual practice is to leave the mount screwed to the slide with a suitable bung in the centre to prevent water ingress, removing the Klaxon for safe keeping when not in use. Should you need help with the horn itself, I have the number of a restorer.

1 hour ago, dave moore said:

Hi

The usual practice is to leave the mount screwed to the slide with a suitable bung in the centre to prevent water ingress, removing the Klaxon for safe keeping when not in use. Should you need help with the horn itself, I have the number of a restorer.

Like this.

P1170861.JPG.6b3c948f4555b48ac90a7ab328ee4653.JPG

The klaxon can be removed, leaving the mount on the slide.  I never bothered with a bung.  A bit of silicon at the bottom of the mount protected paint of the slide.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yep, my aerosol horn is the bee’s knees

:)

We kept one on the Notts Princess in case the ooge mains ones we add fitted ever failed. Bloomin great bits of kit I keep meaning to buy one for this boat but keep forgetting.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We kept one on the Notts Princess in case the ooge mains ones we add fitted ever failed. Bloomin great bits of kit I keep meaning to buy one for this boat but keep forgetting.

The first time I went through the Harecastle tunnel I borrowed one from the office because my horn didn’t  work. I thought it a great easy option so bought one. Just haven’t painted the roses and castles on it yet. I do like them claxons though, but a tad costly for me. 

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

The first time I went through the Harecastle tunnel I borrowed one from the office because my horn didn’t  work. I thought it a great easy option so bought one. Just haven’t painted the roses and castles on it yet. I do like them claxons though, but a tad costly for me. 

:lol: Paint Roses and castles on one and you will upset the " Traditional " boaters as you might frighten their horses with it.................oh wait a minute...........horses?

• Happy 1

49 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have a box of about 100 aerosol horns sat here (left over from a weird deal about 7 years ago), all brand new and sealed.

they are near unsellable because of the cost of shipping aerosols

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I have a box of about 100 aerosol horns sat here (left over from a weird deal about 7 years ago), all brand new and sealed.

they are near unsellable because of the cost of shipping aerosols

Can't you sell them to a coal boat?

Sorry to return to the original topic/question and ruin the comic flow but what about common or garden sealant out of a gun - bathroom/kitchen should be watertight.  You drilled the holes in the first place so just use the same drill (by hand even) to remove the sealant when summer comes (!!!).  I find the stuff around the bath stops leaks yet comes away in one piece when needed.