No engine, have mains, new battery set up

MartOBeirne

Featured Posts

Been reading this thread and can't help thinking it's a bit of a wind up. I fail to see how anybody can live on a boat for some time and not get a bit of a grip on the basics like battery management or things like knowing what the pump in the bilge is called.

It's as if the OP has been running his boat by magic and had now run out of Faerie dust.

Phil 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Been reading this thread and can't help thinking it's a bit of a wind up. I fail to see how anybody can live on a boat for some time and not get a bit of a grip on the basics like battery management or things like knowing what the pump in the bilge is called.

It's as if the OP has been running his boat by magic and had now run out of Faerie dust.

Phil 

Can I refer you to post #13 ?

For 18 years I ran a boat on a land line with an automatic 12v charger from Halfords, about 8 amps output, goes down to float etc as a battery charger needs to. It had a bit of assistance from a small pv panel. But it needed a battery connected.

It worked well provided that I didn't use the inverter, but you wouldn't when on a land line would you?

Edited by Boater Sam

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Been reading this thread and can't help thinking it's a bit of a wind up

But then again maybe it isn't.

Either way it has elicited  some useful postings which may be of use to others. 

• 2 weeks later...

I won't post on here again. Thanks for the advice, love the very economical caravan/motorhome transformer solution

What a fool referring to the pumps based on their specific location and purpose as opposed using conventional 'bilge' precursor which could mean anywhere. 

Perfectly happy with battery management, having run a full size fridge and ya know a whole life from 12v since 2012. Simply had some questions about the introduction of Mains for the first time, immediately following engine failure

Suggest it's not Phil's fairies that are the problem but smart ass unpleasent trolls. Get a life fellas, must be other ways to boost that ego

43 minutes ago, MartOBeirne said:

I won't post on here again. Thanks for the advice, love the very economical caravan/motorhome transformer solution

What a fool referring to the pumps based on their specific location and purpose as opposed using conventional 'bilge' precursor which could mean anywhere. 

Perfectly happy with battery management, having run a full size fridge and ya know a whole life from 12v since 2012. Simply had some questions about the introduction of Mains for the first time, immediately following engine failure

Suggest it's not Phil's fairies that are the problem but smart ass unpleasent trolls. Get a life fellas, must be other ways to boost that ego

I thought many of the posts, including all the early ones, were helpful.

Really only post no 10 was a bit out of line and even then it couldn't be described as "ego boosting" or as trolling.

You are being too sensitive, it's a very useful forum and worth putting up with the silliness in return for what you learn.

7 hours ago, MartOBeirne said:

You’re welcome :)

No idea why you won’t post again. I thought you had some useful, thought out responses. 

11 hours ago, MartOBeirne said:

What a fool referring to the pumps based on their specific location and purpose as opposed using conventional 'bilge' precursor which could mean anywhere

My reference to bilge pump was for clarification purposes only so that we had a clear idea about what was bring discussed. If you check again I finished by  wishing you well with sorting out your problem. 

I agree that a certain post may of been  a bit out of line. I can understand the genesis of the comment but newcomers may not have the background info to understand it. 

I also see that you posted many years ago and that you have a family waterways history. 

Don't be put if returning by a minor glitch. 

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MartOBeirne said:

Ah you're right, must have been stressed

No problem. 

Nice to see you back, main thing is did you eventually get it sorted? 

Edited by reg