Help on the Rochdale Canal

Nick D

Featured Posts

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but wonder if any kind folks out there are able to help on Sunday with a bit of lock keeping on the 20 or so locks going into Manchester.  We did have some help booked with the volocky for Friday, but the trip is taking longer than anticipated so we couldn't make it on time as the locks and paddle gear are so stiff and heavy on this canal!  Refreshments will be amply provided.

Alternatively, if you are already cruising the canal and are going down shortly, perhaps we can double up?

Did you get any help in the end Nick?

I was really lucky as I  travelled from Castleford to Manchester with a fantastic couple - did find the Rochdale quite hard work with gates that wouldnt open and empty pounds on the way up and overflowing ones on the way down!

Yes Paul, we can down into Manchester today (Sunday) with the help of a great volunteer called Ian who knew the stretch really well.  Took us five hours in total from the Rose of Lancaster but would have been almost double that without him.  

As you did, we found the Rochdale in general to be hard work with just the two of us - would have been great to share with another boat. Looking forward to the lock free Bridgwater.!

Alan, in the first instance you are supposed to contact the CaRT at this e mail address with date etc. that you require help

enquiries.manchesterpennine@canalrivertrust.org.uk

they will respond and also post the request on the volunteer forum and a volunteer will contact you direct.  If there are only two of you I would definitely recommend that you ask for help.  If you have a larger crew, you will probably be ok.

1 hour ago, Nick D said:

Alan, in the first instance you are supposed to contact the CaRT at this e mail address with date etc. that you require help

enquiries.manchesterpennine@canalrivertrust.org.uk

they will respond and also post the request on the volunteer forum and a volunteer will contact you direct.  If there are only two of you I would definitely recommend that you ask for help.  If you have a larger crew, you will probably be ok.

I got a volunteer last year, when I contacted CART I was told to phone  a lady called Mez Hellard, on 0161 220 2960.

She contacted a volunteer who got back to me to sort out the details. 

Of course arrangements may have changed since then, it was about a year ago.