Amber boats any thoughts comment views?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No, that is Mrsmelly's 'Just in time for Easter' thread.

5 minutes ago, carlt said:

Exactly!

The Two Ronnies were funny so you instinctively named them first.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So was Two funnier than Ronnie?

:clapping:

Sorry. All greenied out. You will have to settle for the clap instead. 

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

I don't need reminding that this forum is excellent; I've been here long enough. I have nothing against attempts at humour if they are funny, but more often than not, to me, they really are nothing more than senseless remarks that detract from the thread. Perhaps my sense of humour is not tuned in to some. Monty Python works for me though but, sadly, not the Rusty and Bob show. Sorry :D.

It has been said many times that this forum is a fount of knowledge about many aspects of boating, and I absolutely agree with that (although sometimes opinions can be expressed as gospel and you have to use your own judgement about that). I have absolutely no objection to humour; I have even been known to crack a joke myself from time to time, and I think I have as good a sense of humour as anyone else, believe it or not!

However, I do sometimes find the unrelenting, frankly at times puerile, comments that pad out nearly every thread get very wearing. You may say that I don’t have to read them and that is very true, but that also applies to those who may be genuinely seeking help or advice and it would be a great shame if they are put off by the “smart Alec’s” who seem to need the chance to show off. When out and about on the cut I have come across people who have said exactly that, and sometime I think it is overdone to the detriment of the forums reputation.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts on the subject, and I will go back to my hermits cave here in East Yorkshire and keep my head down for possible incoming flak.:D

Howard

• Greenie 3

I do find that the jokes/tangents go on a bit, but it's really not a problem is it? it keeps the thread near the top whilst waiting for more people to come online to offer the advice needed.

Comments complaining about humour that then go on for ages are more tiresome I find. It's always been the same though

In the end of the day this is a forum.  A forum that people come to when in need of advice.

However, those people that provide the advice also have "needs" (some special).  To keep those that can offer that advice here, they must but allowed to crack a joke, go off on tangents and enjoy themselves.

I imagine it would become very boring place for those people if ONLY answering questions.

18 minutes ago, kawaton said:

I do find that the jokes/tangents go on a bit, but it's really not a problem is it? it keeps the thread near the top whilst waiting for more people to come online to offer the advice needed.

This s a very good point.

I have to say, you look like a bit of a comedian yourself.

Edited by Athy

12 minutes ago, kawaton said:

it keeps the thread near the top whilst waiting for more people to come online to offer the advice needed.

A good point. This thread has remained near the top all day.I expect the only people with first hand experience of Amber boats on here are few and far between,and the thread could easily be missed.The OP can quickly filter out the bits they don't require whilst getting the added benefit of the possibilty of attracting more answers. Win, win imo

Edited by rusty69

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

The Rusty and Bob show,touring soon. Two tickets available in the box office for all our fans. 

I claim copyright for that plus 20% of receipts. I could even be your manager; we may be on to something here.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, carlt said:

If they weren't I'd have been banned for life from here years ago (like I was from Just Canals).

I used to be a member of that (perhaps officially I still am) but after a while, it seemed to go for weeks without moving, so I gave up looking at it. Does it still exist?

Just now, Athy said:

I used to be a member of that (perhaps officially I still am) but after a while, it seemed to go for weeks without moving, so I gave up looking at it. Does it still exist?

It exists for me up to this point...

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Beyond that you'll have to ask someone less norty.

I have come across two Amber Boats both at the time Brand New , the finish on both especially the Carpentry was in my humble

opinion pretty exceptional . As far as I remember they were constructed in Gdansk which is a centre of Shipbuilding and Heavy

Engineering in Poland , I believe either Amber or the Importer went into Liquidation

17 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I have come across two Amber Boats both at the time Brand New , the finish on both especially the Carpentry was in my humble

opinion pretty exceptional . As far as I remember they were constructed in Gdansk which is a centre of Shipbuilding and Heavy

Engineering in Poland , I believe either Amber or the Importer went into Liquidation

Our Amber boat at ten years old still looks very good. Paint is still very good. Internal fit out is in excellent nick. They built boats of quality at a pretty fair price. Believe they all came with things like aqua drive, hospital silencer, good quality electrical fittings etc. Maybe lack detail finishes like scrolls in the steelwork and fancy carved wood but what you get is a good solid boat, built to last.