Morris Morendo Diesel Fuel Treatment

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Hi,

When we had the 3L2, the previous owner had used Morris Morenedo fuel additive (as well as Soltran for diesel bug etc). We continued to add this each time we filled up and the engine has always been in tip top condition. We're collecting our next boat in a few weeks with a 3LW in and rather than just continue to use this, thought I'd get your valued opinions/experiences on this or indeed any other product.

For quick reference, the product and information is here: http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/morendo-dd-diesel-fuel-treatment.html

Thanks

Mark

This subject comes up quite often on this forum. Speaking from my own experience I believe the bug is all down to in the main under useage of the engine. I have never had bug and never paid a penny out for " additives " I have owned this particular boat for just over three years and it runs faultlessly but I thought I ought to change the fuel filters so last week I checked the water trap and it was completely clear and removed the spin off filter attached to the engine for the first time in my ownership and that was completely clear and clean I of course replaced with a new one as it takes seconds on a modern engine. If the fuel is used within a couple of weeks and replaced/ topped up every two weeks as mine always is then I feel that and the use of a big turn over supplier is key to clean fuel. Just sayin like.

There is very little independent info about Morendo on the internet. Stanadyne Performance does all the same things and always get good reviews, including from people who know what they are talking about. It works out more expensive than the Morendo and is not easy to get, though you usually find it on eBay. Check prices carefully. I conclude Morendo is OK but Stanadyne is very likely better.

.................Dave

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

This subject comes up quite often on this forum. Speaking from my own experience I believe the bug is all down to in the main under useage of the engine. I have never had bug and never paid a penny out for " additives " I have owned this particular boat for just over three years and it runs faultlessly but I thought I ought to change the fuel filters so last week I checked the water trap and it was completely clear and removed the spin off filter attached to the engine for the first time in my ownership and that was completely clear and clean I of course replaced with a new one as it takes seconds on a modern engine. If the fuel is used within a couple of weeks and replaced/ topped up every two weeks as mine always is then I feel that and the use of a big turn over supplier is key to clean fuel. Just sayin like.

Thanks but Morendo is not for diesel bug/water in fuel. It's a treatment for the engine. Full spec from the link I sent.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

There is very little independent info about Morendo on the internet. Stanadyne Performance does all the same things and always get good reviews, including from people who know what they are talking about. It works out more expensive than the Morendo and is not easy to get, though you usually find it on eBay. Check prices carefully. I conclude Morendo is OK but Stanadyne is very likely better.

.................Dave

Thanks Dave, but is it actually worth using? I can't seem to find any evidence online as to whether it's effective or if it could actually have any negative impact?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh smashing I am a peelock :blush:

of course you're not, but don't let CRT catch you doing so in a lock!:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The additive does add a not trivial increase to overall fuel price so its not an easy decision. It helps keep the diesel stable but if, as you say, diesel turnover is mostly quite quick then its not an issue. Additives also help keep the injection system both clean and lubricated so a lot depends upon how fussy your injection system and how traumatic it would be if you had to get an injection pump rebuild etc. We have a Stanadyne injection pump which is a fussy bugger so I think the additive is a good investment. Some people pour their old engine oil into the fuel tank, I think Russel Newberry used to say this was fine, so if you have a pump that can drink anything that you give it then its probably not worth paying for an additive.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, dmr said:

The additive does add a not trivial increase to overall fuel price so its not an easy decision. It helps keep the diesel stable but if, as you say, diesel turnover is mostly quite quick then its not an issue. Additives also help keep the injection system both clean and lubricated so a lot depends upon how fussy your injection system and how traumatic it would be if you had to get an injection pump rebuild etc. We have a Stanadyne injection pump which is a fussy bugger so I think the additive is a good investment. Some people pour their old engine oil into the fuel tank, I think Russel Newberry used to say this was fine, so if you have a pump that can drink anything that you give it then its probably not worth paying for an additive.

................Dave

Just did some sums although didn't look for the lowest price online:

Based on a 500ml bottle
Morendo - 0.053 p/litre
5 litre can equates to 0.021 p/Litre

Stanadyne - 0.054 p/litre

Edited by Markinaboat
never was good at maths!

15 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Based on a 500 Litre bottle
Morendo - 0.53 p/litre
5 litre can equates to 0.21 p/Litre

Stanadyne - 0.54 p/litre

I think (not sure) that the doseage rates might be different in which case you will need to factor that in. The cheapest way to get the Stanadyne is in the 5 litre cans but I worked out that one of these would last me almost 2 years and Stanadyne have suggested a safe shelf life of maybe only one year once opened.

...............Dave

28 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Based on a 500 Litre bottle
Morendo - 0.53 p/litre
5 litre can equates to 0.21 p/Litre

Stanadyne - 0.54 p/litre

Blimey Mark I bet that bottle is a bugger to lift!! :D

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

I think (not sure) that the doseage rates might be different in which case you will need to factor that in. The cheapest way to get the Stanadyne is in the 5 litre cans but I worked out that one of these would last me almost 2 years and Stanadyne have suggested a safe shelf life of maybe only one year once opened.

...............Dave

Of course, I based the figures on 1 to 400 and 1 to 500 respectively. If just a 500ml bottle, then don't see + 0.054 pence per litre an issue. Yep, just editing my the figures as missed out the '0' duh!

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey Mark I bet that bottle is a bugger to lift!! :D

just a tad, good for ballast though! As edited above...

Based on a 500ml bottle
Morendo - 0.053 p/litre
5 litre can equates to 0.021 p/Litre

Stanadyne - 0.054 p/litre

• Greenie 1

Stanadyne is £119 for a 5 litre can, thats £23.8 per litre. A litre treats 500 litres of fuel so the cost is about 4.8 pence per litre of diesel. Diesel is about 75p/litre (ignoring propulsion tax) so its adding about 6% to the fuel cost.

These additives contain a cetane raiser so just might improve fuel consumption so just might pay for themselves. Stanadyne say up to a 9.6% improvement in fuel consumption (I think) and typically 4 or 5%, I reckon these figures are optimistic and may also depend on the cetane rating of red diesel which is another subject debated on this forum.

.............Dave (I hope I got my summs right)

9 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

However, all of these additives state that they increase dispersancy which, as I understand it, with the likes of Morris SAE30 being a low detergent/low dispersant oil would be a bad thing .... I think???

I thought the additives were detergent rather than dispersant, but remember the additives are treating the fuel system and just possibly the combustion chamber, they should have no effect on what goes on below the piston where the engine oil additives are doing their stuff.

................Dave

12 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

However, all of these additives state that they increase dispersancy which, as I understand it, with the likes of Morris SAE30 being a low detergent/low dispersant oil would be a bad thing .... I think???

SAE 30 is a lubricating oil, we are talking about a fuel additive here where if gums and carbon in/on the injectors gets dispersed is a good thing.

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

Stanadyne is £119 for a 5 litre can, thats £23.8 per litre. A litre treats 500 litres of fuel so the cost is about 4.8 pence per litre of diesel. Diesel is about 75p/litre (ignoring propulsion tax) so its adding about 6% to the fuel cost.

These additives contain a cetane raiser so just might improve fuel consumption so just might pay for themselves. Stanadyne say up to a 9.6% improvement in fuel consumption (I think) and typically 4 or 5%, I reckon these figures are optimistic and may also depend on the cetane rating of red diesel which is another subject debated on this forum.

.............Dave (I hope I got my summs right)

I thought the additives were detergent rather than dispersant, but remember the additives are treating the fuel system and just possibly the combustion chamber, they should have no effect on what goes on below the piston where the engine oil additives are doing their stuff.

................Dave

Morendo 5 Litres is £41.58 (just seen that this is ex vat so increase my figures by 20%).

2 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Morendo 5 Litres is £41.58 (just seen that this is ex vat so increase my figures by 20%).

So very roughly the Stanadyne costs twice as much.

Morris are naughty on their website, they say free delivery which always looks really good then hit you with VAT as you checkout. :D

about to send you a PM

.............Dave

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

SAE 30 is a lubricating oil, we are talking about a fuel additive here where if gums and carbon in/on the injectors gets dispersed is a good thing.

I'm confused (not difficult), do modern (non-suitable) oils for our older engines disperse and suspend the bad stuff or is it the opposite?

26 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

I'm confused (not difficult), do modern (non-suitable) oils for our older engines disperse and suspend the bad stuff or is it the opposite?

Old engines usually don't have a proper oil filter so want the crud to fall to the bottom of the sump, hence NO dispersant, new engines do want the crud held in the oil so that it goes through the filter to be collected.

..............Dave