Has my battery had it

Featured Posts

The battery is about 4 years old ( I have inherited it when got the boat hence no new date) it was showing only 11.4v yesterday, it has been on charge since yesterday at about 11am. At this moment in time it is still drawing 4amps on the charger. Am I flogging a dead horse and therefore time to renew.

Thanks in advance

What capacity does the battery label give? What type of battery charger are you using? What is the charging voltage?

What use, if any, had battery been subjected to that caused it to become over discharged?

I suspect you have a cell shorting but on the present information its only a guess. If its an open cell battery look into each cell and if  one or more is bubbling far more than the others then you need a new one. If the ends of the battery are bulging then again its on its last legs so probably needs renewing.

If you do fit a new battery then how do you look after it and will it have enough capacity for the job you ask of it? How much electricity do you take out and then how much do you put back in each day? What form of battery monitoring (if any) do you use? Its dead easy to wreck a new battery in weeks unless you take care and monitor it

3 hours ago, Stuart Maddock said:

The battery is about 4 years old ( I have inherited it when got the boat hence no new date) it was showing only 11.4v yesterday, it has been on charge since yesterday at about 11am. At this moment in time it is still drawing 4amps on the charger. Am I flogging a dead horse and therefore time to renew.

Thanks in advance

If you have to ask the question, then the answer is almost certainly 'yes'!