Best engine room and bilge paint

Troyg

Featured Posts

I am looking at painting my engine room and bilges. 

These areas have been neglected by the previous owner, so there is plenty of rust. I am trying to decide which paints would be best.

Currently I am just thinking to go with standard red oxide primer followed by a top coat of bilge paint such a Danboline or Teamac sold by Midland.

The areas will be prone to moisture and condensation and the engine room has a wet bilge. Apart from being chemical and oil resistance it needs to be hard wearing.

One thing I can say. Don't use a paint with a heavy solvent loading in a confined space unless you have suitable protection. When I repainted my gas locker, the primer had me able to fly out afterwards and walk through walls. The Danboline top coat was fine.

Jen

• Greenie 1

I will be going for a bright type colour. Due to limited access I wont be able to get the surface prepped 100% as I would like so I am looking at something than can tolerate a rusty surface.

I probably really need an active rust converter primer that can handle immersion?