Oak processionary moth

tree monkey

Featured Posts

I know this is a canal forum and not a tree geek site but as some of you lot boat in the south and surroundings and tend to an outside lifestyle it might be worth watching out for this.

Plus of course if you see any a report to the FC would be much appreciated

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/oakprocessionarymoth#outbreak stage

It can be nasty to human health so take care if you see it

• Greenie 3

Interesting read.

I heard about this last year. Our house in Cardiff has lots of mature Oaks so one to watch out for if they ever get this far west. We get a lot of blue/great/coal tits in our trees which IIRC eat caterpillars in the oak trees as the leaves emerge. Will they also eat these moth caterpillars?

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Interesting read.

I heard about this last year. Our house in Cardiff has lots of mature Oaks so one to watch out for if they ever get this far west. We get a lot of blue/great/coal tits in our trees which IIRC eat caterpillars in the oak trees as the leaves emerge. Will they also eat these moth caterpillars?

I don't know tbh, I have heard some anecdotal evidence that there is some predation but thats all

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Interesting read.

You might see a Tiger Moth at the airport.

Interesting stuff.  I was aware of the beasts but had no more info.  Thanks.

The fact that they live on 'The Hereford Weed' makes them of particular interest.

Our biggest local concern is Ash Die Back 'specialy if if you need a new steering stick for a butty.

Have these moths been reading War Of The Worlds? They seem to be targeting much the same area, NE Surrey and SW London. In fact so do those green ring necked parakeets that keep turning up in my garden and eating my cherries. I don't think I've seen these moths yet, although the map shows an infected spot on Mitcham Common not far away, but then I don't have an oak tree and probably wouldn't notice anyway.

23 hours ago, Taslim said:

Interesting stuff.  I was aware of the beasts but had no more info.  Thanks.

The fact that they live on 'The Hereford Weed' makes them of particular interest.

Our biggest local concern is Ash Die Back 'specialy if if you need a new steering stick for a butty.

http://chalaramap.fera.defra.gov.uk

Ash dieback has the potential to be worse for tree numbers, so far it looks like we have sufficient genetic diversity to hopefully keep a healthy population, lets hope emerald ash borer doesn't find its way over here

OPM has a direct effect on human health and its nasty

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Good post Tree personage :)

Fanks :)

• 1 year later...

Well in the interim several of the large ash trees here have now burst into leaf, but not the HUGE one my boat is moored underneath. It looks dead as a dead thing.

The one on the left. Obvs.

image.png.a23c550004278413eb8397d9e660f55b.png

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well in the interim several of the large ash trees here have now burst into leaf, but not the HUGE one my boat is moored underneath. It looks dead as a dead thing.

The one on the left. Obvs.

image.png.a23c550004278413eb8397d9e660f55b.png

There is a huge variability between them as to when they come into leaf, it could actually be dead of course.

Better photos would help :)

5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

There is a huge variability between them as to when they come into leaf, it could actually be dead of course.

Better photos would help :)

Qué?

Better in what way? 

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Showing what Tree Monkey wants to see?

Exactly what I thoutgh too, why is why I asked in what way he would like better photos. Whole tree? Close up of trunk? Or missing buds? Something else?

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Exactly what I thoutgh too, why is why I asked in what way he would like better photos. Whole tree? Close up of trunk? Or missing buds? Something else?

If you don't know it's obvious you need to pay an enormous consultation fee for me to visit and point

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If you don't know it's obvious you need to pay an enormous consultation fee for me to visit and point

I can only afford 1p. Will that be ok?

Will I get time to pay?

55 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Shoving up dollops of stinky  fumes from Mikes collection of antique diesels has had an effect obvs.  ;)

I object M'Lud. The exhaust from my Kelvin is crystal clear!

An old Gardner like Mark's went by the other day though. I can see the church again from here now....

• 1 month later...