Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
tree monkey

Oak processionary moth

Featured Posts

I know this is a canal forum and not a tree geek site but as some of you lot boat in the south and surroundings and tend to an outside lifestyle it might be worth watching out for this.

Plus of course if you see any a report to the FC would be much appreciated

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/oakprocessionarymoth#outbreak stage

It can be nasty to human health so take care if you see it

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read.

I heard about this last year. Our house in Cardiff has lots of mature Oaks so one to watch out for if they ever get this far west. We get a lot of blue/great/coal tits in our trees which IIRC eat caterpillars in the oak trees as the leaves emerge. Will they also eat these moth caterpillars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Interesting read.

I heard about this last year. Our house in Cardiff has lots of mature Oaks so one to watch out for if they ever get this far west. We get a lot of blue/great/coal tits in our trees which IIRC eat caterpillars in the oak trees as the leaves emerge. Will they also eat these moth caterpillars?

I don't know tbh, I have heard some anecdotal evidence that there is some predation but thats all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Interesting read.

I heard about this last year. Our house in Cardiff has lots of mature Oaks so one to watch out for if they ever get this far west. We get a lot of blue/great/coal tits in our trees which IIRC eat caterpillars in the oak trees as the leaves emerge. Will they also eat these moth caterpillars?

You might see a Tiger Moth at the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stuff.  I was aware of the beasts but had no more info.  Thanks.

The fact that they live on 'The Hereford Weed' makes them of particular interest.

Our biggest local concern is Ash Die Back 'specialy if if you need a new steering stick for a butty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have these moths been reading War Of The Worlds? They seem to be targeting much the same area, NE Surrey and SW London. In fact so do those green ring necked parakeets that keep turning up in my garden and eating my cherries. I don't think I've seen these moths yet, although the map shows an infected spot on Mitcham Common not far away, but then I don't have an oak tree and probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Taslim said:

Interesting stuff.  I was aware of the beasts but had no more info.  Thanks.

The fact that they live on 'The Hereford Weed' makes them of particular interest.

Our biggest local concern is Ash Die Back 'specialy if if you need a new steering stick for a butty.

 

http://chalaramap.fera.defra.gov.uk

Ash dieback has the potential to be worse for tree numbers, so far it looks like we have sufficient genetic diversity to hopefully keep a healthy population, lets hope emerald ash borer doesn't find its way over here

 OPM has a direct effect on human health and its nasty

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Good post Tree personage :)

Fanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it looks that Ash dieback is on my neck of the woods but the OPM has yet to get this far west?

We have 5 oaks with TPOs on the edge of our garden so I will keep an eye out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in the interim several of the large ash trees here have now burst into leaf, but not the HUGE one my boat is moored underneath. It looks dead as a dead thing.

 

The one on the left. Obvs.

 

image.png.a23c550004278413eb8397d9e660f55b.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well in the interim several of the large ash trees here have now burst into leaf, but not the HUGE one my boat is moored underneath. It looks dead as a dead thing.

 

The one on the left. Obvs.

 

image.png.a23c550004278413eb8397d9e660f55b.png

 

 

There is a huge variability between them as to when they come into leaf, it could actually be dead of course.

Better photos would help :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tree monkey said:

There is a huge variability between them as to when they come into leaf, it could actually be dead of course.

Better photos would help :)

 

Qué?

 

Better in what way? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Qué?

 

Better in what way? 

 

 

Showing what Tree Monkey wants to see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Showing what Tree Monkey wants to see?

Exactly 

Or wait another 4 weeks or so, or pay me a huge amount of cash for me to visit and point at the tree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Showing what Tree Monkey wants to see?

 

Exactly what I thoutgh too, why is why I asked in what way he would like better photos. Whole tree? Close up of trunk? Or missing buds? Something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Exactly what I thoutgh too, why is why I asked in what way he would like better photos. Whole tree? Close up of trunk? Or missing buds? Something else?

If you don't know it's obvious you need to pay an enormous consultation fee for me to visit and point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

If you don't know it's obvious you need to pay an enormous consultation fee for me to visit and point

 

I can only afford 1p. Will that be ok?

 

Will I get time to pay?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

I can only afford 1p. Will that be ok?

 

Will I get time to pay?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Actually I have a better idea, send the bill to CRT. It's their tree!

 

And there goes my fantasy of big bucks and early retirement  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoving up dollops of stinky  fumes from Mikes collection of antique diesels has had an effect obvs.  ;)

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Shoving up dollops of stinky  fumes from Mikes collection of antique diesels has had an effect obvs.  ;)

 

I object M'Lud. The exhaust from my Kelvin is crystal clear!

 

An old Gardner like Mark's went by the other day though. I can see the church again from here now....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To update this topic.

Today an infestation was found in Birmingham, likely from some recently imported nursery stock.

Anyway keep an eye out and if you see it I would be a happy monkey if you could report it

 

FB_IMG_1562868250870.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.