Manchester Ship Canal Transit

dmr

Featured Posts

Due to the problems at Middlewich we are intending to go from Ellesmere Port to the Weaver on the Ship canal. Exact date is flexible but towards the end of next week is looking likely. Is there anybody else intending to do this so that we could share the journey? Peel prefer two boats to go together though this is not essential.

.................Dave

26 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Your best bet would be to ask whoever takes the bookings and gives permission.

Yes, but CaRT, Peel and the council all only need 48 hours notice, so if I wait till they receive a 48 hour booking its too late to put mine in. CaRT have no bookings at all right now. I havn't got my certificate of sea worthiness yet but once that's done should be ready to go at quite short notice.

........Dave

21 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

I think that they would all be flexible in letting you go at the same time as another boat as it is less work for them.

I will hopefully know more once we have the certificate as I hope the man doing it can answer some questions. We have to book a date with Peel but I don't know if we can change that at short notice, I don't particularly want to go in bad weather.

............Dave

2 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

I wouldn't worry - I found it no different to being on the Weaver.

I have heard that the turn into Marsh lock can be unpleasant in bad weather, its a wide expanse of water with no protection from the wind on the Mersey, and can even get tidal on springs.

I always thought the Weaver was tame but we spent two months down there over Christmas and a lot of water can (and did) come down the Dane, though still nothing like what we have seen on the Thames and the Kennet.  Just thought it might be rather nice to go with another boat. We thought about tagging along with the historic boats after the Ellesmere Port do but could not get our act together in time.

............Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have heard that the turn into Marsh lock can be unpleasant in bad weather, its a wide expanse of water with no protection from the wind on the Mersey, and can even get tidal on springs.

I always thought the Weaver was tame but we spent two months down there over Christmas and a lot of water can (and did) come down the Dane, though still nothing like what we have seen on the Thames and the Kennet.  Just thought it might be rather nice to go with another boat. We thought about tagging along with the historic boats after the Ellesmere Port do but could not get our act together in time.

............Dave

Some photos here of the crowd going to the Port and a single boat coming the other way https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2gipy1mfn74itpv/AAD_y1it9MW6vpI9lI_Dc-7Ga?dl=0

Thanks, we also watched them all leaving Ellesmere after the weekend event. Its the first time we've been to the Easter thing as we are usually on the K&A for winter. Its a good event and is totally free for pre-booked boats, including free entry to the music. They even had a proper and well known (in some circles) folk band in addition to the local folk club bands.

Its interesting that its free, maybe this is the museum and even CaRT accepting that boats are a big part of the entertainment and an essential feature of the canal.

...............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thanks, we also watched them all leaving Ellesmere after the weekend event. Its the first time we've been to the Easter thing as we are usually on the K&A for winter. Its a good event and is totally free for pre-booked boats, including free entry to the music. They even had a proper and well known (in some circles) folk band in addition to the local folk club bands.

Its interesting that its free, maybe this is the museum and even CaRT accepting that boats are a big part of the entertainment and an essential feature of the canal.

...............Dave

I think it may be debatable if CRT can charge for mooring at any time in the basins as I don't think they own them

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I think it may be debatable if CRT can charge for mooring at any time in the basins as I don't think they own them

That's interesting and I did wonder. They usually charge for entry to the museum (and the basins and museum are pretty much one and the same) and then do charge a small mooring fee for each additional night. Anyway the museum and music were free and they even had a little real ale bar. Sadly this was in a sort of conference room so rather lacking in atmosphere, it would have been rather good to have it in the engine house.

There are a fair few boats that look like long term moorers in the open/lower part of the lower basin and I did wonder if these were CaRT moorings or if they had found a sort of "no mans water". They are outside of the museum perimeter fence.

Admission to the museum gives free re-admission for a whole year. It will be interesting when we go back on route to the ship canal, will we get free re-admission based on our previous free admission :D

............Dave

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Good to see Kennet taking part. It was for sale for a long time after Tim Leech died. Does it now have a new owner?

dunno, but it was at the Ellesmere Port do looking very lovely and cared for.

..............Dave

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Good to see Kennet taking part. It was for sale for a long time after Tim Leech died. Does it now have a new owner?

Yes it does, a well respected family in historic boat circles, but it is not my place to name them.

George