Dunchurch versus Barby

larryjc

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually no they don't, even though I think their website still says they do. Which is most annoying as I paid it when I started mooring there!

One annoying thing not mentioned on the website (last time I looked) is how they add £150 a year 'electricity bollard charge' to the mooring fee, which takes the gloss off their competitive pricing. 

I said I don't really need the electric so I'll pass on that please, and they said I can't, its a mandatory charge whether or not you use the leccy.

If that is still the case I would tell them to put their mooring spot were the monkeys puts its nuts innitt. We had a short stay last year in a very pleasant marina twenty minutes away from there.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

If that is still the case I would tell them to put their mooring spot were the monkeys puts its nuts innitt. We had a short stay last year in a very pleasant marina twenty minutes away from there.

Must be nice to be able to afford such high principles.

Even with the leccy charge added in, they are still £300-£400 a year cheaper than any of the nearby other marinas. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even with the leccy charge added in, they are still £300-£400 a year cheaper than any of the nearby other marinas. 

Not high principles Mike. If you dont want lectric its a complete and utter con to pay for it. If you go to the pub and buy a beer do you pay for the food you havnt ordered? Anyway, I can afford it, I have zero debt, the best feeling in the World. Six or seven squids a week extra to moor in a spot that didnt rip me off I would be happy to pay. You do as you please, we all make our own choices.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Not high principles Mike. If you dont want lectric its a complete and utter con to pay for it. If you go to the pub and buy a beer do you pay for the food you havnt ordered? Anyway, I can afford it, I have zero debt, the best feeling in the World. Six or seven squids a week extra to moor in a spot that didnt rip me off I would be happy to pay. You do as you please, we all make our own choices.

You have a very strange view of the world if you think the cheapest marina on the whole system, with remarkably good services, is rip-off. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually no they don't, even though I think their website still says they do. Which is most annoying as I paid it when I started mooring there!

One annoying thing not mentioned on the website (last time I looked) is how they add £150 a year 'electricity bollard charge' to the mooring fee, which takes the gloss off their competitive pricing. 

I said I don't really need the electric so I'll pass on that please, and they said I can't, its a mandatory charge whether or not you use the leccy.

There's a few marinas that do that, if it's not optional it should be part of the up front mooring fee.  Marinas seem to be taking lessons from the hire boat business where the initial hire fee is just the starting point.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

There's a few marinas that do that, if it's not optional it should be part of the up front mooring fee.  Marinas seem to be taking lessons from the hire boat business where the initial hire fee is just the starting point.

If the electricity charge gets put onto the mooring fee then CaRT will take their percentage in the Access Charges so anything that stops this CaRT rip off is fine by me even though, like Mike, I don't use any mains electricity. Another vote for Calcutt. If find their labour  rates exceptionally competitive - at least compared with garages.

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If the electricity charge gets put onto the mooring fee then CaRT will take their percentage in the Access Charges so anything that stops this CaRT rip off is fine by me even though, like Mike, I don't use any mains electricity. Another vote for Calcutt. If find their labour  rates exceptionally competitive - at least compared with garages.

Surely if that loophole existed marinas would a) create a load of extras that don't form part of the mooring fee, provision of water, refuse disposal, grounds maintenance etc. and b) every marina would be doing it.   As far as I know the fee that CRT use to calculate the access charge includes anything mandatory, even if the moorer doesn't actually use the facilities.   

On 25/05/2019 at 10:59, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it cheaper than Ventnor on the other side of the canal?

I'm assuming you don't live on the boat as that's not permitted in Ventnor.

When I last compared Calcutt prices to what we pay, Ventnor was cheaper. At least it was for a 45' boat, maybe it's different if it's one of your longer boats.

On 25/05/2019 at 12:49, Neil2 said:

In a moment of madness, yep., another, I looked at boat hire for the Caledonian Canal. Like Neil says, when you add everything in, it's not a cheap holiday, didn't expect it to be, but hey., let's not extract the urine! And we have two dogs, they are very little but I think it was £75 per dog per week. Perhaps. (Not).

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

In a moment of madness, yep., another, I looked at boat hire for the Caledonian Canal. Like Neil says, when you add everything in, it's not a cheap holiday, didn't expect it to be, but hey., let's not extract the urine! And we have two dogs, they are very little but I think it was £75 per dog per week. Perhaps. (Not).

That's a shame Martyn. We had a week's hire on the Caledonian Canal in about 1991. Absolutely stunning.

As far as I know there is only one hire company there though I may well be wrong. Lack of competition doesn't help.

Yes, it's Cailey Cruisers at Inverness.

Just had a look at their website. Blimey, they ain't cheap!

I still think it's probably worth it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Edited by Lily Rose

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Can't remember the name if the hire company. Does Caleys ring a bell.

Yes Caley Marine.

Whenever folk say we are a nation of dog lovers I say yes, until you want to stay in a hotel or B&B or hire a cottage, or a boat.  Actually I think some of the hire boat firms are the worst, think Black Prince are about £30 now so for you and I that would be another £60.  Other companies take dogs for nothing so I don't see how they can justify it.    

Edited by Neil2

8 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Yes Caley Marine.

Whenever folk say we are a nation of dog lovers I say yes, until you want to stay in a hotel or B&B or hire a cottage, or a boat.  Actually I think some of the hire boat firms are the worst, think Black Prince are about £30 now so for you and I that would be another £60.  Other companies take dogs for nothing so I don't see how they can justify it.    

They can't justify it. We leave a deposit, if the boat is ctrashed or bongo dog has chewed through the doors or has deposited his/her innards on the plush carpets, then surely the repairs/cleanup operation comes out of the deposit. 

42 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Is it cheaper than Ventnor on the other side of the canal?

I'm assuming you don't live on the boat as that's not permitted in Ventnor.

When I last compared Calcutt prices to what we pay, Ventnor was cheaper. At least it was for a 45' boat, maybe it's different if it's one of your longer boats.

When we went to Calcutt 9 years ago it was cheaper than Ventnor, even in meadows marina which is the more expensive of the two at Calcutt.  We did have to pay the £400 entry fee, I dint know if that still applies.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

They can't justify it. We leave a deposit, if the boat is ctrashed or bongo dog has chewed through the doors or has deposited his/her innards on the plush carpets, then surely the repairs/cleanup operation comes out of the deposit. 

I remember having an argument with one of the directors at Black Prince about this.  He said the surcharges were to cover the extra cost of cleaning up after dogs.  Ah, I replied, so you pay your cleaners more if the boat had dogs on it..?  (They don't) 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

I remember having an argument with one of the directors at Black Prince about this.  He said the surcharges were to cover the extra cost of cleaning up after dogs.  Ah, I replied, so you pay your cleaners more if the boat had dogs on it..?  (They don't) 

From my days doing turn round at Alvechurch boats that had dogs on took longer to clean therefore there were more hours worked so more pay as cleaners were paid by the hour.

20 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

From my days doing turn round at Alvechurch boats that had dogs on took longer to clean therefore there were more hours worked so more pay as cleaners were paid by the hour.

Good on them, though IMHO you should never pay cleaners by the hour...

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

And we have two dogs, they are very little but I think it was £75 per dog per week. Perhaps. (Not).

They should be charged by the square foot.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

They should be charged by the square foot.

Is there a socket on the boat to put the square foot in? Are the contacts either side or underneath? What is the max charging voltage? Do they float at the end of charge?

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Is there a socket on the boat to put the square foot in? Are the contacts either side or underneath? What is the max charging voltage? Do they float at the end of charge?

I wondered who would be first.:D