Dunchurch versus Barby

larryjc

Featured Posts

I need the collective 'wisdom' please.  I'm looking at a marina at the end of this years epic cruise and want to end up at the top of the Oxford/Braunston area.  I've looked at the marinas available.  We only really want it for storage and occasional visits until our next leap off into the unknown.  The two that seem best - because they are where we want and we don't need a remortgage to afford them are Barby and Dunchurch Pools.  Barby were offering £100 per month for storage but apparently this may not be available from now on.  I've read some 'interesting' things about Barby, indeed you have to read the web site a little carefully to realise that most facilites are a pipe dream.  Dunchurch is a little more expensive but I spoke to the owner and he seems a really nice chap and is offering deals at the moment although still a little more expensive than Barby - but at least there will be facilities by the end of the year.  Can anyone offer a view on the relative merits please?

1 hour ago, larryjc said:

I need the collective 'wisdom' please.  I'm looking at a marina at the end of this years epic cruise and want to end up at the top of the Oxford/Braunston area.  I've looked at the marinas available.  We only really want it for storage and occasional visits until our next leap off into the unknown.  The two that seem best - because they are where we want and we don't need a remortgage to afford them are Barby and Dunchurch Pools.  Barby were offering £100 per month for storage but apparently this may not be available from now on.  I've read some 'interesting' things about Barby, indeed you have to read the web site a little carefully to realise that most facilites are a pipe dream.  Dunchurch is a little more expensive but I spoke to the owner and he seems a really nice chap and is offering deals at the moment although still a little more expensive than Barby - but at least there will be facilities by the end of the year.  Can anyone offer a view on the relative merits please?

Don't overlook Calcutt. Hard to fault them for facilities, and cheap as any. 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Don't overlook Calcutt. Hard to fault them for facilities, and cheap as any. 

Thanks - just had a look and they are better situated for me but quite a lot dearer than the other two.

Edited by larryjc

It all depends on the width of your boat really.

If it's only a bit fat, say around 12 feet then go to Dunchurch, it's nearer to fat canals.

If your boat is nearer 14 feet wide and clearly has no business in being on The North Oxford then you should plump for Barby, otherwise you'll miss out on the opportunity to create maximum irritation to the poor people who can't afford a proper sized, slab sided, wind effected boat.

If however you only have a skinny boat, then buck your ideas up, get a better job and improve yourself ..... for goodness sake.

I'm planning a 70 X 14 Feet boat that I'll paint bright yellow and then name Utterly Butterly

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Wigwams? Near and should be less than Calcutt.

But you can't park your car near the boat at Wigwams. In fact you're lucky if you can park anywhere at all. Serious lack of parking space there.

if your boat is a normal narrowboat have a look at brinklow marina, when we were looking for a mooring they were cheaper than barby (dunchurch didn't exist then).

it's ideal if all you want is a mooring, there is fuel, gas, electric, rubbish, elsan and pumpout but not much else (no club or shop etc)

If I'm honest all we use is 2 mooring rings or a car parking space

56 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I'm planning a 70 X 14 Feet boat that I'll paint bright yellow and then name Utterly Butterly

I Can't Believe It's Not called Butter....

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But you can't park your car near the boat at Wigwams. In fact you're lucky if you can park anywhere at all. Serious lack of parking space there.

Hardly need parking if you are storing the boat for Winter, most marinas have a trolley for car park to boat use - some have a wheelbarrow....

3 hours ago, larryjc said:

The £100 winter storage moorings are many boats rafted together in the pool near the marina entrance, last year probably 14 or 15.

Cheap yes, but I don't think rafting up to that many boats is especially sensible (one has a fire they all go up), and I am not sure whether landline hookup is available - which would make impossible frost heaters or other deep freeze protection. You also have no chance of taking your boat out for a Winter Cruise weekend if in the raft.

3 hours ago, larryjc said:

What size is your boat?

32 minutes ago, Detling said:

Ventnor Farm is opposite calcutt and may be cheaper.

Depends which basin in Calcutt. The older basin is cheaper than Ventnor but the newer one is more expensive than Ventnor. Not a lot in it though.

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Depends which basin in Calcutt. The older basin is cheaper than Ventnor but the newer one is more expensive than Ventnor. Not a lot in it though.

Whilst we moor at Calcutt am not sure about the winter mooring charges.  As Ray says for long term mooring then meadows marina is more expensive than locks marina, but that would to some extent depend on how long the boat is.  Locks marina is usually full and in most cases over recent years winter moorings have been in meadows marina, where we are, but it don’t know what that means cost wise.  You would need to talk to the office to find that out.

Good advice all - thanks.  The boat is a 57 foot narrow boat.  I've checked all of the ones mentioned and prices vary from £2900 per year to £1950 (Barby) which is quite a difference.  (Mind you Braunston was over 3 grand)  Also Barby promise me they now have their workshop and slip up and running and I may need some hull work this winter.  So its looking like them unless I can negotiate something even better with Dunchurch.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Captain Fizz said:

I am able to confirm that Barby do not have their workshop up and running.

They have no means of removing boats from the water.

They have no qualified engineer on site.

Well thats a surprise

Another vote for Calcutt here.  If it wasn't too far south for us now we would still be moored there.  Apart from the workshop facilities, as Mike says the access is second to none and when some marinas have you 100yards from the car park you really appreciate being able to park right next to the boat.  Ok it doesn't have a fancy coffee shop... but the only real disadvantage with Calcutt is the initial "joining" fee, assuming they still operate that system When we were there they were cheaper than most of the other newer marinas.

20 hours ago, Neil2 said:

but the only real disadvantage with Calcutt is the initial "joining" fee, assuming they still operate that system When we were there they were cheaper than most of the other newer marinas.

Actually no they don't, even though I think their website still says they do. Which is most annoying as I paid it when I started mooring there!

One annoying thing not mentioned on the website (last time I looked) is how they add £150 a year 'electricity bollard charge' to the mooring fee, which takes the gloss off their competitive pricing. 

I said I don't really need the electric so I'll pass on that please, and they said I can't, its a mandatory charge whether or not you use the leccy.

• Horror 1