Boater Graffiti

Featured Posts

I was always impressed with the recycling of an old piece of graffiti on a viaduct  overlooking the former Shell garage (now Texaco) going out of Rugby.

For many years it read "Boycott Shell" and I often wondered if it affected business for the garage down below but one day someone sprayed over the "Shell" and changed the message to the then more topical "Boycott is innocent!".

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

The most useful piece of graffiti I remember seeing is on a bridge somewhere around Polesworth. It simply says "PUB", accompanied by an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction.

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Incidentally, part of BS3704 states that it must be able to contain a litre of fluid without bursting...

Didn't realise they sold elephant condoms in pubs.:huh:

1 hour ago, carlt said:

I was always impressed with the recycling of an old piece of graffiti on a viaduct  overlooking the former Shell garage (now Texaco) going out of Rugby.

For many years it read "Boycott Shell" and I often wondered if it affected business for the garage down below but one day someone sprayed over the "Shell" and changed the message to the then more topical "Boycott is innocent!".

That one always made me laugh too.

The of course there was the infamous "Home rule for Crick" which for many years adorned a railway bridge near Cawston.

I'm not a fan of graffiti, but I am compulsive reader....

1 hour ago, Athy said:

The most useful piece of graffiti I remember seeing is on a bridge somewhere around Polesworth. It simply says "PUB", accompanied by an arrow pointing in the appropriate direction.

I don't know who it was, but someone covered many miles of the canal system doing exactly that years ago in yellow paint.

Thanks are due to that person but sadly, with pub closures, it is well out of date.

George

14 hours ago, Bee said:

Yeah, it just messes up the brickwork and its a bit childish and its not something I would ever approve of but I think I know what the perpetrator means. Presumably this was done by someone who is struggling to make ends meet.

and were down to the last few pence which was wisely invested in a can of spray paint 

9 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

A church near me had this on the roof "Jesus Saves" then one day this was written underneath.

and the very wonderful Fascinating Aida have written a song called, Jesus saves, but Tesco saves you more'

47 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

and were down to the last few pence which was wisely invested in a can of spray paint 

:D

My thoughts exactly, you just beat me to it.

A bridge on the Oxford Canal approach to Braunston has been called 'Pink Floyd' for as long as I can remember, but last time I went through it, the bridge at Marston Junction was no longer called 'Steve'.

Edited by Athy

50 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Yes I also pondered this. Then I thought he might have stolen it. The I realised he can't possibly have done because stealing is illegal. 

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

:D

My thoughts exactly, you just beat me to it.

A bridge on the Oxford Canal approach to Braunston has been called 'Pink Floyd' for as long as I can remember, but last time I went through it, the bridge at Marston Junction was no longer called 'Steve'.

Should have been called Simon and Garfunkel..... Bridge over troubled water. But I can see the Floyd /Waters link. 

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Should have been called Simon and Garfunkel..... Bridge over troubled water. But I can see the Floyd /Waters link. 

I recall it as more of a wall than a bridge. My favourite so far was when going down into Stratford upon Avon and being greeted with the written words ‘welcome to Stratford, have a lovely visit’ 

Edited by ianali

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

I rather hope they never decide to clean this one off - it has been there very many years now.

(It's over the M25 motorway, for those unfamiliar with it).

pea_bridge-1024x555.jpg

Oh that's a nice photo of it. Taken before they built those horrid motorway-wide grey gantries either side of it spoiling the view. 

I always thought the M25 designers deserved a lot of credit for the way they made the beautiful brick-built viaduct look as though it had been designed to span the motorway, when it actually pre-dated it by 100 years. Fantastic views of it for drivers approaching it from bith sides on the M25 as in your photo, now spoilt. 

46 minutes ago, ianali said:

I recall it as more of a wall than a bridge.

On reflection, you may well be right - which would be appropriate, of course.

Is the "Stratford" comment just a local person being nice and welcoming to visitors, or is there a joke hidden in there?

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

On reflection, you may well be right - which would be appropriate, of course.

It is actually the old, now demolished Great Central Railway bridge with only the wall remaining so I suppose it is both.

• Greenie 1

we just did the Llangollen again last week and due to the weather being a bit rubbish and my better half beginning to brave the tiller I had more time to peruse the architecture rather than the scenery.

on Bridge 31a just near the Whitchurch branch some wag has tagged "Anti-Chav"

and on Bridge 24 amongst the black spray painted anarchy slogans someone has chalked "KEEP OFF MY PATCH OK" which has gained the response "NO" in white spray paint

16 hours ago, Bee said:

Yeah, it just messes up the brickwork and its a bit childish and its not something I would ever approve of but I think I know what the perpetrator means. Presumably this was done by someone who is struggling to make ends meet. Years ago when we had a residential mooring and two very young children the licence and mooring fees shot up. I was working full time and could barely afford to pay, I thought we would have to go back to mooring on the towpath, in fact we sold up and left the (English) waterways forever and bought a terraced house not much bigger that the boat. That was back in the days of Thatcher and BWB and I well remember how I felt at the time, A bit of graffiti would not have expressed it.

Making ends meet would be easier if they didn't buy tins of spray paint!

6 minutes ago, billS said:

Seen in an Edinburgh pub toilet during the seemingly interminable years of disruption due to the building of the light rail system:

Trams is for bams

p.s. death to the English

oooooh! That's a bit racist! Shame on them!:clapping: