Jabsco par max 3.5 problems

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Com'on Rusty, we need a wiring diagram! ......and a part number! .......and we need it now!:)

You don't need a wiring diagram. Just snip the wire to the internal switch and replace with external switch (and relay if you please). 

ETA You obviously need to do the plumbing bit too. 

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Tony Brooks usually recommends a "Square D" pressure switch for the purpose but the only pressure switch of that brand I can find costing less than a three figure sum, has a 40-60psi range. Too high.

Deleted. Item no longer available. Will look for another 

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Tony Brooks usually recommends a "Square D" pressure switch for the purpose but the only pressure switch of that brand I can find costing less than a three figure sum, has a 40-60psi range. Too high.

Oddly I can’t find any in the UK. Plenty available in the US though (which is odd, seeing as they’re made in Italy).

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-D-20-40LB-Water-Pump-Pressure-Switch-FSG2J20CP-NEW/391419191881?epid=1994097634&hash=item5b2266e249:g:zTAAAOSwstxVJDO1

Ohh... the US ones are made in Mexico. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Oddly I can’t find any in the UK. Plenty available in the US though (which is odd, seeing as they’re made in Italy).

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-D-20-40LB-Water-Pump-Pressure-Switch-FSG2J20CP-NEW/391419191881?epid=1994097634&hash=item5b2266e249:g:zTAAAOSwstxVJDO1

Seller "rhoshill-se" 

Normally has them for less than 30 quid. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It’ll happen again. Why not be proactive and buy an external pressure switch and wire (and plumb) it in at your leisure instead of waiting for it to fail completely. 

I did this and had bit of a problem. My pump is about 25 feet from the accumulator and T'd the switch off about a foot from the pump and found the impulses from the pump discharge made the switch operate before it reached the true cut off pressure.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I did this and had bit of a problem. My pump is about 25 feet from the accumulator and T'd the switch off about a foot from the pump and found the impulses from the pump discharge made the switch operate before it reached the true cut off pressure.

Had you perhaps set the cut in pressure too close to the cut out? If there’s insufficient hysteresis in the settings I could imagine problems. 

Or... if it cut out at too low a pressure why not simply raise the cut out pressure?

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Very similar indeed. Maybe the Chinese bought them all as a job lot and are storing them in Walsall 

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Hang on, you can buy a new pump for less than £70.

But seeing as many pumps die due to a failed pressure switch and bearing in mind that the pressure switch can be used for all subsequent pumps it looks like a deal. <£30 instead of >£70. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yeah, but the switch will outlive 10 pumps! I keep my external switch in circuit until the internal pump switch fails,then connect the external switch until the pump start to inevitably leak.Then repeat.

35 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes but the new pump contains a pressure switch costing peanuts, which is one of the ways they get to make the pump so cheap and why the pressure switch fails so often.

The whole point of fitting an external pressure switch is to get a decent quality, reliable switch which isn't cheap and nasty and won't keep failing.

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, but the switch will outlive 10 pumps! I keep my external switch in circuit until the internal pump switch fails,then connect the external switch until the pump start to inevitably leak.Then repeat.

....but if the external pressure swithc is in circuit when you ptu a new pimp in, but how is the vavle open on the extrenla prussere swithc if it uses its own swicht, hic!

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

....but if the external pressure swithc is in circuit when you ptu a new pimp in, but how is the vavle open on the extrenla prussere swithc if it uses its own swicht, hic!

Beer was good then?

Tis in the plumbing circuit, not the electrical one hiccup buuuuurp!

Edited by rusty69

• 1 year later...

I have a Jabsco 1395 which is operating fine as far as the Pump itself goes , my issue is Water weeping from the seam of the Pump which causes the Pump to fire up and drain the Batteries whilst I am away from the Boat often for several Days . These Pumps are in the region of £135 to replaced I am wondering if I could coat the Joint perhaps in some Sealant , I have a Mate who installs Swimming Pools , Jacuzzis and such like and he reckons he has a few Trade Products that may do the job , its a very small weep that unfortunately is just enough to set the Pump off .

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I have a Jabsco 1395 which is operating fine as far as the Pump itself goes , my issue is Water weeping from the seam of the Pump which causes the Pump to fire up and drain the Batteries whilst I am away from the Boat often for several Days . These Pumps are in the region of £135 to replaced I am wondering if I could coat the Joint perhaps in some Sealant , I have a Mate who installs Swimming Pools , Jacuzzis and such like and he reckons he has a few Trade Products that may do the job , its a very small weep that unfortunately is just enough to set the Pump off .

Possibly the solution is a matter of replacing O rings.

Why not fit a switch eo you can disconnect the power supply to the pump when required?