Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Nige123

Moorings available in Reading

Featured Posts

We have some moorings coming up in Reading at Burghfield Island Boat Club.

We have free water, electric, & pump out, a nice social club house, library (books DVD's etc) workshop, BBQ, & more all set on a picturesque island on the K&A river on the outskirts of Reading.

We are about 2 hours to the Thames by boat or 30 minutes cycle to Reading town centre.  

We have a nice local pub (The Cunning man) 3 minutes walk away, 2 supermarkets at the top of the road, a golf club in walking distance, safe locking car park, a chandlers that can supply gas, coal etc is also on the island & they will delivery to your boat.

This is the lowest cost mooring in this area due to us doing upkeep of CRT's island, so all applicants must be willing to take part in work parties on the island & take part in social events (you don't show you have to go).

Strictly No Liveaboard sorry.       

please contact Jim on 07933 203691 for more details

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

all applicants must be willing to take part in work parties on the island & take part in social events (you don't show you have to go).

 

Oh dear. Can you send a substitute if you are lazy or unsociable?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

applicants must be willing to take part in work parties on the island & take part in social events (you don't show you have to go).

 

More than 'willing', mandatory I'd say. 

When I was there I happily attended the Sunday morning work parties but having a large and young family the saturday night socials were impossible.

I had to leave the mooring as attending the socials turned out to be mandatory too.  I still have the letters they wrote to me about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sorry Bill that's not the idea of a club. best stick to the marinas.... ;O)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I had to leave the mooring as attending the socials turned out to be mandatory too.  I still have the letters they wrote to me about it!

Jeez,sounds worse than Butlins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The final straw was us not attending the welly throwing comptetion!

Sorry about that Mike... Some of us are now trying to change the face of BIBC & make it a better club. It's a hard job but we are trying... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were not even willing to even discuss a PAID FOR temporary mooring for about a month when I enquired a few years ago and just quoted the AWCC 14 day thing so I agree with Mike. I went to Frouds Bridge Marina instead. I cant understand a club turning down money but there you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Sorry about that Mike... Some of us are now trying to change the face of BIBC & make it a better club. It's a hard job but we are trying... 

Sounds like you need to change the body too. I understand the work parties,but enforced socials doesn't sound too sociable to me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

If you like pettifogging rule-following, Burghfield Island is the mooring for you!

I hear you Mike this is why I would encourage new members to become committee members & make change if that's the feelings. & this is also why I say you would need to become active in the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Sorry about that Mike... Some of us are now trying to change the face of BIBC & make it a better club. It's a hard job but we are trying... 

 

Is it all different now then?

The bit that chuffed me off particularly was the socials were not mandadory when I joined. Then it became clear I wasn't attending the socials and the letters started. When I wrote back pointing out attendance at socials was not mandatory, feck moi they had a committee meeting and changed the rules to make socials mandatory too. JEEEZZ!!!!!!

So I swanned off to Thames and Kennet. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

They were not even willing to even discuss a PAID FOR temporary mooring for about a month when I enquired a few years ago and just quoted the AWCC 14 day thing so I agree with Mike. I went to Frouds Bridge Marina instead. I cant understand a club turning down money but there you are.

Sorry to hear that Tony, Like I say some of us want change & this feedback after only a few minutes of posting is very telling.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

No sorry Bill that's not the idea of a club. best stick to the marinas.... ;O)

 

Mandatory work parties I can understand as it subsidises the mooring fee, but mandatory social events sound like a chilling prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, billS said:

Mandatory work parties I can understand as it subsidises the mooring fee, but mandatory social events sound like a chilling prospect.

Is there an echo in ear:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

I hear you Mike this is why I would encourage new members to become committee members & make change if that's the feelings. & this is also why I say you would need to become active in the club.

 

Nothing much has changed. Time I have 'spare' I want to spend on one or other of my boats, not sitting on pettifogging, rule polishing committees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion to Burghfield Island would be put the mooring fees up to something sensible and pay contractors to maintain the island. THEN you'll fill the place up in a flash.

 

 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
speeling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billS said:

It needs repeating!

 

Mandatory work parties I can understand as it subsidises the mooring fee, but mandatory social events sound like a chilling prospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Is it all different now then?

The bit that chuffed me off particularly was the socials were not mandadory when I joined. Then it became clear I wasn't attending the socials and the letters started. When I wrote back pointing out attendance at socials was not mandatory, feck moi they had a committee meeting and changed the rules to make socials mandatory too. JEEEZZ!!!!!!

So I swanned off to Thames and Kennet. 

Trust me I know the problems we have & I have felt like moving away many times but my wife & I have made our minds up to change things & so have a lot more members. We need nice people who want to join in & make a better boating club for all & a place to meet with family & friends in a nice place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My suggestion to Burghfield Island would be put the mooring fees up to something sensible and pay contractors to maintain the island. THEN you'll will the place up in a flash.

Well it may not be for everyone, but for me I have made many good friends over the last 8 years & that is priceless.

I would hope like minded people would apply & every comment here is helpful good or bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nige123 said:

Trust me I know the problems we have & I have felt like moving away many times but my wife & I have made our minds up to change things & so have a lot more members. We need nice people who want to join in & make a better boating club for all & a place to meet with family & friends in a nice place.

 

This is still going to be a problem I feel. I have a nice place to meet with family and friends already - on my boat on the towpath. 

There are people about who like joining clubs and indulging in peripheral activities. I'm just not one of them. I like mucking about on my boat. 

My main reason for mooring there in the first place was it was near my house.

It still is I suppose!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pleased ro see its definately for non liveaboards. Dirty scruffy criminals  they are as far as I can see.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrsmelly said:

I am pleased ro see its definately for non liveaboards. Dirty scruffy criminals  they are as far as I can see.

 

I agree :D

Stealth liveaboards will be fine at Burghfield island though. If they catch you living aboard, you aren't being 'stealth' enough!

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing puzzles me. If you live a long way away and choose to moor your boat there, are you expected to travel to attend work parties and social events? Sounds as if you can only moor there is you live locally.

haggis

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.