Deckhead lighting.Hello.

Featured Posts

Hello. Anyone know if these are available anywhere? Age is taking its toll on ours. Ideally need about 6-8 units. I've converted all ours from 2D to Led. To replace with anything else leaves a big square in the deckhead.

IMG_1618.JPG

I might be a dickhead for not making myself clear. I want to replace with the same, now obsolete light fittings. Continuity and all that rubbish. Ceiling lights are what I'm after, and I believe in nautical circles ceilings are referred to as deckhead. Sorry if I have confused.

(when I wrote deckhead I thought comments about decks and dicks may have been forthcoming sooner).

edit to add, thank you for all the suggestions so far.

Edited by Nightwatch

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I might be a dickhead for not making myself clear. I want to replace with the same, now obsolete light fittings. Continuity and all that rubbish. Ceiling lights are what I'm after, and I believe in nautical circles ceilings are referred to as deckhead. Sorry if I have confused.

(when I wrote deckhead I thought comments about decks and dicks may have been forthcoming sooner).

edit to add, thank you for all the suggestions so far.

The reason you call them Deckheads is cos you know what you are talking about and cos you and I would have been subject to much pee taking in a previous life had we used the term ceiling. I deliberately now seldom use proper terminology because most people including many boaters wouldnt have a clue what we were talking about. Mention something as basic as a Hawse pipe or shit on a raft and you will get blank looks :D

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I deliberately now seldom use proper terminology because most people including many boaters wouldnt have a clue what we were talking about.

Thats cos most inland boats aren't proper boats,but ditch crawling skips:)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The reason you call them Deckheads is cos you know what you are talking about and cos you and I would have been subject to much pee taking in a previous life had we used the term ceiling. I deliberately now seldom use proper terminology because most people including many boaters wouldnt have a clue what we were talking about. Mention something as basic as a Hawse pipe or shit on a raft and you will get blank looks :D

Perhaps I'm too intolerant.

Thank you Nightwatch for posing the question. I'm in the same position - eking out the last remaining spare(s) that I have. Marlec stopped making them years ago. The base frames are quite solid, but the bezel is a bit fiddly and the switch design - not good. There's not much power saving as the 16W DD lamp is quite efficient especially with the electronic high frequency (?) controller.

I'm tempted to make you an offer for yours if you strip them out - but mine are 24v.

Most of the links don't state the voltage - so I'm assuming they're 240V?

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Thank you Nightwatch for posing the question. I'm in the same position - eking out the last remaining spare(s) that I have. Marlec stopped making them years ago. The base frames are quite solid, but the bezel is a bit fiddly and the switch design - not good. There's not much power saving as the 16W DD lamp is quite efficient especially with the electronic high frequency (?) controller.

I'm tempted to make you an offer for yours if you strip them out - but mine are 24v.

Most of the links don't state the voltage - so I'm assuming they're 240V?

I think all the ones I posted to were 12 or 24 volt DC, that was my intention but it was getting late. I have round semi recessed unswitched fittings with DD lamps which cost an arm and a leg to replace. I am just going to take the guts out and fix one of these in them. https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/g4-dc-12-led-cool-white-led-bulb-8v-30v-2-6w-27w-back-pin.html

Capture.JPG

11 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You can make you own hanging lights, if you like jam or marmalade. Hartley's are a de-light-ful shape. LED's in mine, depicted here.

001.JPG

With LEDs being smaller than a lot of Lamps may be you could even use wine bottles

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

With LEDs being smaller than a lot of Lamps may be you could even use wine bottles

Indeed, different colours too.  That stuff Crem De-Memf cames in blue glass bottles, or is it that Caraco.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think all the ones I posted to were 12 or 24 volt DC, that was my intention but it was getting late. I have round semi recessed unswitched fittings with DD lamps which cost an arm and a leg to replace. I am just going to take the guts out and fix one of these in them. https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/g4-dc-12-led-cool-white-led-bulb-8v-30v-2-6w-27w-back-pin.html

Capture.JPG

Thanks for that I'll certainly do some experimenting. Certainly spoilt for choice!

I converted all mine to LED three or so years ago. I have found all is well with all the fitting but the two lugs that push and pull the switch on the inside break. Become brittle. Tried glue of all sorts. Never works/sticks.