Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Featured Posts

I have mentioned the Anchor previously on the forum. It’s an unspoilt pub serving real ales and ciders, renowned locally for its superb cobs. Just a few minutes walk from the canal at Caunsall, it is worthy of patronage by discerning boaters. We’ve just returned from a visit to celebrate a boating friend’s 70th birthday and I couldn’t resist a picture of typical fare. These are cheese, the ham and beef varieties have a substantial filling about 1/4” of thick meat. The 3 Tuns bitter was just as tasty. Cheers!!

 

Dave

 

 

85017DB4-6742-42B4-9B44-EC1BD4BA5BA7.jpeg

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ray, ower kid....yower missus ood understond whar a cob is. Wheer my wench cums from on the Wirral, to “ Have a cob on” means to be angry and annoyed about something...funny stuff, dialects...

  • Love 1
  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey, that's a lot of onion and cucumber, do they sell indigestion tablets as a sideline?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Anchor at Caunsall is great for cobs (though I am a southerner, so to me thay are rolls). The food offering is simple. Cheese or ham or Beef. Always with salad of lettuce/cucumber/tomato and onion. Having been there a few times this year the onion varies from very mild to so strong I struggle to eat it.

 

Anyway, if you like that sort of food its worth a visit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to mention the onions, but as Bee beat me to it, I won't. Looks bloomin' good grub. Helps the ale go down me reckons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're "cobs" in Derbyshire, to the extent that a sandwich bar is generally known as a cob shop. Oddly though, if such a bread item accompanies the soup on a restaurant menu, it becomes a "roll". I wonder if it's a cob only when it has acquired its filling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those interested in these linguistic variations, Manchester University has produced a fascinating set of maps.  

http://projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/ukdialectmaps/lexical-variation/bread/

 

(By the way, you can always tell if someone comes from Leicester if he or she says "straight the way")  Sorry, off topic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

For those interested in these linguistic variations, Manchester University has produced a fascinating set of maps.  

http://projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/ukdialectmaps/lexical-variation/bread/

 

(By the way, you can always tell if someone comes from Leicester if he or she says "straight the way")  Sorry, off topic.

 

 

...but interesting nonetheless. The usage of "without" meaning "unless" would also tend to identify a person from that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dave moore said:

I have mentioned the Anchor previously on the forum. It’s an unspoilt pub serving real ales and ciders, renowned locally for its superb cobs.

 

Not to be confused with The ANchor at High Offley, which is an unspoilt pub NOT reknowned for a selection of real ales, ciders and superb food.

6X only, and crisps if you're lucky!

Still like it there though... 

:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Not to be confused with The ANchor at High Offley, which is an unspoilt pub NOT reknowned for a selection of real ales, ciders and superb food.

6X only, and crisps if you're lucky!

Still like it there though... 

:cheers:

Who needs a selection of beers if you've got Wadworth's 6X? A very enjoyable session beer, is Six.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went into two pubs in Devizes (Wandsworth pubs) and neither had 6X on tap. They were waiting for a delivery. I offered to go and get one for them and roll it down the pavement. One looked at me with disgust and the other laughed. I stayed in the laughing pub for couple of another type of Wadworths. I also had pig skin crunch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I went into two pubs in Devizes (Wandsworth pubs) and neither had 6X on tap. They were waiting for a delivery. I offered to go and get one for them and roll it down the pavement. One looked at me with disgust and the other laughed. I stayed in the laughing pub for couple of another type of Wadworths. I also had pig skin crunch. 

Association of ideas: Wandsworth is (or was) the home of Young's Brewery, which some Southerners claim produces/ produced good beers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Association of ideas: Wandsworth is (or was) the home of Young's Brewery, which some Southerners claim produces/ produced good beers.

Youngs used to deliver their beer by horse-drawn dray until fairly recently (well, within 20 years).I used to enjoy a pint of Youngs in the Windmill pub on the edge of Clapham common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Youngs used to deliver their beer by horse-drawn dray until fairly recently (well, within 20 years).I used to enjoy a pint of Youngs in the Windmill pub on the edge of Clapham common.

Indeed they did. They still have an office in Wandsworth but their beers are now brewed by Charles Wells in Bedford, I'm afraid. As far as I know, Hook Norton brewery still delivers to very local pubs by horse-drawn dray, not sure if they're the only ones apart from Wadworths who do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I went into two pubs in Devizes (Wadworths pubs) and neither had 6X on tap. They were waiting for a delivery. I offered to go and get one for them and roll it down the pavement. One looked at me with disgust and the other laughed. I stayed in the laughing pub for couple of another type of Wadworths. I also had pig skin crunch. 

 

I have edited Wandsworth out and put in Wadworths. However it produced a new post as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Indeed they did. They still have an office in Wandsworth but their beers are now brewed by Charles Wells in Bedford, I'm afraid. As far as I know, Hook Norton brewery still delivers to very local pubs by horse-drawn dray, not sure if they're the only ones apart from Wadworths who do so.

I used to drink (sample) Charlie Wells beer when visiting a friend in Wellingborough. But this was many moons ago. Perhaps 40+ years ago. I have sampled some since.

Edited by Nightwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I went into two pubs in Devizes (Wandsworth pubs) and neither had 6X on tap. They were waiting for a delivery. I offered to go and get one for them and roll it down the pavement. One looked at me with disgust and the other laughed. I stayed in the laughing pub for couple of another type of Wadworths. I also had pig skin crunch. 

Many years ago we would say that certain beers, including 6X did not travel well. Remember this being talked about in a pub once which had served us some mediocre 6X. Unfortunately we were in the Wadsworth brewery tap !!

9 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

For those interested in these linguistic variations, Manchester University has produced a fascinating set of maps.  

http://projects.alc.manchester.ac.uk/ukdialectmaps/lexical-variation/bread/

 

(By the way, you can always tell if someone comes from Leicester if he or she says "straight the way")  Sorry, off topic.

 

 

Moored at Ferrybridge once where we were completely flummoxed in the local bakery when they asked if we wanted some scufflers! Turns out that the are a triamgular bread bun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2018 at 15:56, dave moore said:

I have mentioned the Anchor previously on the forum. It’s an unspoilt pub serving real ales and ciders, renowned locally for its superb cobs. Just a few minutes walk from the canal at Caunsall, it is worthy of patronage by discerning boaters. We’ve just returned from a visit to celebrate a boating friend’s 70th birthday and I couldn’t resist a picture of typical fare. These are cheese, the ham and beef varieties have a substantial filling about 1/4” of thick meat. The 3 Tuns bitter was just as tasty. Cheers!!

 

Dave

 

 

85017DB4-6742-42B4-9B44-EC1BD4BA5BA7.jpeg

Great stuff. Cobs and beer, the perfect diet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

A good cider would go well with that cheese and onion roll.

Funny you should mention that, they do have a good selection of ciders at The Anchor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.