Endoscope recommendation ?

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

Not really for the boat but I’m sure if I get bored I may find a few uses for it :)

On searching the forum I see a few members have a waterproof endoscope. I am looking for recommendations for a cheapie of the stiff cable type.  I see there are many on Amazon and eBay but have read elsewhere that some are crap so I would be grateful if the cognoscenti could give me details of their model if they are happy with it.  The only parameters I have are that it must be cheap, good image and iOS compatible.

Ta in advance

No, I aint got one. When we had our lumpy water boat, I thought it would be a great idea to look at the prop (on a sail drive). Saw quite a few from other boaters but they were all useless - it was 10 years ago - so I learnt to scuba dive instead. Maybe 10 years on they are better but I doubt it......and your not going to see much in a canal. Defo a toy I will not buy.

We had one at work many years ago, a proper long solid chrome plated tube with a tiny mirror and lens at the bottom to see round corners, and a little light that worked off a square 4.5v battery, and when not in use a proper varnished wooden box to keep it in. I used it a few times to peer down spark plug holes to try to diagnose bore and valve problems but always concluded that I needed to take the head off to have a proper look. 

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

I did buy a cheapy from ebay, there is an LED in the end and you can get a reasonable picture in hidden corners etc., but underwater it seems to just see reflected light from the LED in the water. Its handy for finding that dropped spanner under the engine or looking at the stern gland without taking out the flooring/soundproofing.

I have drilled a few small holes in the cabin floor near the stern so that I can check for water ingress, the oak floor on top of the base floor makes any other way difficult.

Just now, ronnietucker said:

I bought this one (£20):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XK6THB4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works pretty well. The app can do still images/video.

Yep, that’s the one I have. I have yet to find a really good use for it. The only time I used it in anger was when I dropped a nut into the engine bay of a car and it didn’t fall out onto the ground. The endoscope found it resting between a couple of brackets. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Yep, that’s the one I have. I have yet to find a really good use for it. The only time I used it in anger was when I dropped a nut into the engine bay of a car and it didn’t fall out onto the ground. The endoscope found it resting between a couple of brackets. 

I end up sticking it in the canal to see if I can see any fish.  :D

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Electronic endoscopes always strike me as a solution looking for a problem. 

Rather like those magnets and/or mirrors on the end of extending sticks a bit like car radio aerials.

Liam uses those magnet sticks a lot at work. Handy for when he has dropped something down the inside of a car door :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Liam uses those magnet sticks a lot at work. Handy for when he has dropped something down the inside of a car door :rolleyes:

A clumsy clot he must be then!

Why doesn't the magnet on a stick immediately stick to the car door?

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably cos he keeps it in between the sides :P

Or maybe he works on Jags...

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Electronic endoscopes always strike me as a solution looking for a problem. 

Rather like those magnets and/or mirrors on the end of extending sticks a bit like car radio aerials.

Nah, magnets on sticks are brilliant, so good I've got three of them?, don't you ever drop nuts/bolts or washers under your engine?

..........Dave

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A clumsy clot he must be then!

Depends what he is working on at the time. 

I wouldn't say he is overly clumsy. Just through the course of doing his job he has to retrieve nuts and bolts from hard to reach places.

Forgetful yes, the number of tools he has left in cars is outrageous!

44 minutes ago, dmr said:

Nah, magnets on sticks are brilliant, so good I've got three of them?, don't you ever drop nuts/bolts or washers under your engine?

..........Dave

Nope. Extremely rare.

And if I do, I need to see them to get them, in which case a stick with no magnet is perfectly good tool!

51 minutes ago, dmr said:

Nah, magnets on sticks are brilliant, so good I've got three of them?

Ooooohhh I know why you have three...

Because you sometimes drop one under the engine, and need another to fish it out. And do you sometimes drop that one too?

:D