Man Overboard!

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

I recently witnessed an incident where an individual took a tumble into the cut in a lock. The details of the incident are not relevant but thankfully the individual seems to be none the worse for the dip.

It did however make me think about the situation and what we, as ordinary boaters, can do to try and help if we were to come across someone in the water. 

The significant thing about what happened is that it came just after we had our first aid refresher course and on the back of some discussion about how to get someone out of the water once they have fallen in. Witnessing the incident from a short distance away I did not need to do anything as a number of bystanders were available and had the situation under control but what I really wanted to have in my handbag right at that point in time was a space blanket that I could pull out so that wet outer coat could come off and a space blanket in its place to try and help get the individual warmed up a bit. The time seemed to tick away endlessly before any attempt to get the individual warmed up and out of wet clothing took place. I suspect in reality it was only a few minutes but in that time I felt really helpless to be able to help. 

On board Python and indeed on board all the trip boats in The Chesterfield Canal Trust fleet we carry a very simple MOB kit. It consists of a towel, a couple of pairs of disposable paper overalls and some space blankets. They are all sealed into a zip-lock plastic bag to keep them clean and dry then stored away in a quickly accessible place known to all crew (I am about to get a big bold label to show where it is on Python so if crew are busy trying to get a MOB out of the water or doing first aid they can send someone else to locate the kit for them. )

In those few moments when I felt helpless to be any practical help I really wanted to be able to go and get our MOB kit but we were miles away from Python at the time. I realised that when we are out and about boating on our own boat we have towels on board but the addition of a couple of space blankets and some disposable paper overalls would cost only pence to buy and hardly any space to store but could be of huge benefit if we were to come across a dog walker or cyclist who had fallen in on our travels. 

The report I got on the incident I witnessed suggested the individual was fairly determined to hang on to wet clothing and this led to a discussion with some other boaters in the bar last night. 

Let's face it, none of us want to fall in, we all know it can be a scary and potentially life changing incident and yet, if someone says they "took a look" as the old boaters would say it is often treated as a bit of a joke. If any of us were unfortunate enough to fall in then assuming we had not hurt ourselves we would probably feel very silly and embarrassed. Having a load of people fussing around us could just heighten the embarrassment and as much as we probably know we need to get our wet clothes off as soon as possible if the only option to preserve our dignity was by borrowing some clothing from a good Samaritan who had come to our aid it would compound our embarrassment. If offered a pair of disposable paper overalls to preserve our dignity it becomes easier because you know that when finished with them you can just dump them, no need to worry about getting things laundered and back to the person who lent it. 

I am sharing this information in the hope that perhaps a number of boaters out there will consider adding some space blankets and disposable overalls to the kit on board their boat just in case we are ever the people who come across that unfortunate individual who had taken a dip. We probably all have access to hot water (for a shower) and hot drinks and towels but in those precious few moments between getting someone out of the water and managing to get them on board a space blanket can make a big difference, even more so if the individual has become a casualty and is unable to get on board your boat for warmth and shelter. (socks and a hat help too and are often easy to lay your hands on on your own boat) 

I hope this will make a few people think about what they would do if they came across that person and how they might best help. If we have all run through the possibilities in our mind we may be better prepared if we have to come to their aid. 

Of course there are likely to be other suggestions people have or stories people can share of real life experiences on the back of this that may help others to be prepared if they do encounter an emergency like this. I would love it is folks can share their ideas and experiences to help us all be a bit more prepared just in case.

Take care out there folks 

• Greenie 3

I think also we have to think about what to ask for when rescued, I fell [off a horse] on the road in to a stream of icy water, leg kinda unstable/broken, I had to ask my [capable lady rescuer] for a blanket,   and also insist the ambulance take me to hospital as they  thought I was OK! I'm not usually one to call for assistance, but this time I needed it ! If you feel you are in shock, tell them, its not always obvious. Its best to appear calm, as you are probably know what you need better than the rescuer.

If an ambulance is needed for a casualty who has been in water some time, mention possible drowning, as the casualty need to be monitored,  so I was advised on my survival course.

Edited by LadyG

The other aspect of falling in is how you get out. When my wife fell in a few years ago she was unable to get out despite several people being on hand until another boater produced a ladder from his boat. As a result we carry a ladder on Fulbourne. We had to use it to get a boater out who fell in at Buckby last year. In both cases the faller-in was unhurt and physically capable but couldn't climb out onto a piled bank or narrow boat.

Edited by David Mack

Good idea, the mob kit. I carry a space blanket in my day sack and a small first aid kit as a matter of course, also have fa kit on boat, just need a set of paper overalls. I'll share this idea elsewhere too.  

2 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Good idea, the mob kit. I carry a space blanket in my day sack and a small first aid kit as a matter of course, also have fa kit on boat, just need a set of paper overalls. I'll share this idea elsewhere too.  

Thank you Jim, that was what I was hoping for. It is a very simple and inexpensive idea so the more people that take it up the better chances any of us have if we are unfortunate enough to fall in

Being stuck firmly in the ice a month or so ago, we watched kids, on their way to school, 'testing' out the ice to see if they could skate on it. We were on the other side of the canal, and if there was an accident we wouldn't have been able to help in time. Must admit, I squealed on the kids, and emailed their head, he wrote back thanking me and said he'd be instructing teachers to alert students of the danger, and he'll send out an email to parents.

This led me to finding this webpage https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Fall-Through-Ice

On another occasion a kid threw a stick onto the ice, a walker's dog ran after it, and splosh; through the ice! How many people drown trying to rescue their dogs?

Problem is, it's easy to see how the 'helper' can find themselves in trouble too.

Great idea about the space blanket. No one will be able to warm up their core without removing their wet clothes though, and the 'rescued' person might be in the early stages of hypothermia, and getting confused. Nightmare!

37 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Great idea about the space blanket. No one will be able to warm up their core without removing their wet clothes though, and the 'rescued' person might be in the early stages of hypothermia, and getting confused. Nightmare!

That is the idea of the disposable overalls. Yes so you will probably need to get the person onto your boat so they can strip off but if you have something to preserve their modesty without having to offer your own clothing it is often easier for them to accept. 

Icy water is always a worry but even during the summer someone taking a dip can start to lose body heat very quickly and, if they are already a bit infirm, elderly or a child things can go bad very fast. Our first aid training told us that it will be the fitter and slimmer person who is overcome by the cold fastest. those of us carrying a bit more weight have some extra insulation. I knew those pies were going to be beneficial one day!

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

The other aspect of falling in is how you get out. When my wife fell in a few years ago she was unable to get out despite several people being on hand until another boater produced a ladder from his boat. As a result we carry a ladder on Fulbourne. We had to use it to get a boater out who fell in at Buckby last year. In both cases the faller-in was unhurt and physically capable but couldn't climb out onto a piled bank or narrow boat.

I believe that is probably one of the main problems regarding falling in, you don't realise how difficult it is to get out until you have to. I helped to 'fish' a little old lady out of the canal 2 or 3 years ago now, she fell in below a lock and was fortunately wearing a lifejacket, but then we had to try to get her out. Trying to pull a 75 year old out by her arms isn't going to work and will probably result in broken arms or dislocated joints (even ignoring the shrieks she was making as we initially tried to do so:(). We eventually got around it by dropping a tarpaulin that I had on the roof of my boat into the canal, drifting it under her and then  with a couple on each end, hauling her out inside the tarpaulin.

Some of the canals themselves don't make things easy. I travelled through the narrows above Marsh Lane bridge on the Staffs & Worcs a couple of days ago and was perusing just how difficult/impossible it would be to get out if you fell in there. The canal side rises sheer about 3 feet out of the water on the towpath side (even higher on the non-towpath side) so you are going to have to swim/wade for about 250 metres to get to somewhere that you can even get assistance in getting out.

An admirable sentiment to carry a rescue kit in case you need to help someone else. But how many of us carry a kit to help ourselves ? not many I guess - so that would be a start.

Mind you, we carry many items of spare dry clothing on our boat, but only for the last couple of years have we carried a ladder.

At my old mooring site, a friend slipped on an icy pontoon (wintertime) and fell in.  As he fell he hit his wrist and broke it.  So he finds himself down in the freezing water, the pontoon is high above his head and his wrist is broken.  It was also late at night (when trips and slips are more likely).  If a fellow boater hadn't heard his screams, i don't see how there is any chance he would have got out.

Until you've gone in a deeper part of the canal (especially with high banks), it's hard to appreciate just how difficult it can be to get yourself out.

As ever, the risk is several times higher for single-handers.  For example, an emergency ladder is only useful if it can be deployed from in the water.  How many boats have that facility?

Have fished my husband out twice , both times by putting a rope through his belt and dragging him onto the back of the boat . 1st time he dislocated his shoulder 2nd time cracked a few ribs. Another time we hauled a friend out of Savick Brook by his lifejacket, gave him our  ladder to hold on too but he couldnt get his foot up onto the runs ,and I grabbed a canoeist out by his lifejacket from tye kennet . Bunny