Inside hull paint

PMcC

Featured Posts

Having found the perfect boat for me, a 2010 Skater marine , (who were taken over by Liverpool boats in the same year) 57' narrowboat with cruiser stern.

The survey is good with only a couple of small problems, except one thing worries me and that's that the surveyor yold me on the phone that gas bottle compartment has never been painted, would this mean that the whole of the interior hull has not been painted ? Unfortunately the bilge is not visible without cutting a panel in the floor. Unfortunately I wasn't able to be present for the survey and am still waiting for the written report

What are your thoughts on this as it's a £50,000 plus boat.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Gas bottle compartments always seem to rust more than you'd think, mine did anyway, painted it with a couple of coats of ordinary gloss paint over primer and its perfectly ok but it is well above water so it should be dry, if yours is only just above the waterline then better paint is a good idea. If its been spray foam insulated the sides should not get condensation and should not rust. That leaves the bottom and probably everything below floor level. In my opinion people who fit out narrowboats without decent access panels on the floor are lazy sods who should be demoted to making wooden pallets, however that is 99% of them. I'm afraid the only way to really know is to cut a hole in the floor, the chances are that it will have a coat of something over it but it almost certainly will not be a very good job. If the bilge is always dry then serious rust is unlikely. There just might be a little access panel right up against the rear bulkhead to drop a bilge pump in but if you do buy the boat it would be a good idea to put a decent size panel in - you could always keep the wine / beer / valuables there.

Yes, cut a hole as Bee has said. But as the boat might have a slight list, make sure it is at the lowest point of the interior hull, at one side or the other, where water will collect. So you will be looking for signs of water and rust - and as large hole as practicable to look under the ballast as well. If it is bad, you will get layers of rust flaking off in sheets. 

Having said that, the bilge should be bone dry, and painting the interior, being a costly operation, that has to be done at the outset outset, will save money if omitted, as is likely, considering the gas locker was not painted. 

I watched a program last night about painting the Forth Bridge and it seems they are using a new epoxy paint that contains glass flake http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=9750 made by Lieghs Paints  https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=BOLTON_EX&prodno=M922A&doctype=PDS&lang=en_GB 

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I watched a program last night about painting the Forth Bridge and it seems they are using a new epoxy paint that contains glass flake http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=9750 made by Lieghs Paints  https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=BOLTON_EX&prodno=M922A&doctype=PDS&lang=en_GB 

Yes, a good coating as are many on the market BUT it requires blasting to SA 2 1/2 which is not in the realm of DIY. They used to use red lead as a primer.