Cast iron bath waste drain

OllyO

Featured Posts

Anyone got a cast iron roll top bath on their boat?

im trying to work out what to do about the waste drain.  The flange needs to be at least 70mm dia with enough thread for the thickness of the bath (prob 25mm or so)

ideally it would not be a 40 or 32mm outlet as I'll be attaching it to a gulper with a 20mm fitting. 

I thought of buying a waste with overflow and blanking the 40mm outlet then using the 20mm overflow spur as the outlet.  The overflow of the bath can then either be blanked or a hose taken from it into the engine bilge where there is an auto bilge pump just in case. Doubt I'd ever manage to over fill it though!!

3 minutes ago, OllyO said:

Anyone got a cast iron roll top bath on their boat?

im trying to work out what to do about the waste drain.  The flange needs to be at least 70mm dia with enough thread for the thickness of the bath (prob 25mm or so)

ideally it would not be a 40 or 32mm outlet as I'll be attaching it to a gulper with a 20mm fitting. 

I thought of buying a waste with overflow and blanking the 40mm outlet then using the 20mm overflow spur as the outlet.  The overflow of the bath can then either be blanked or a hose taken from it into the engine bilge where there is an auto bilge pump just in case. Doubt I'd ever manage to over fill it though!!

This is not an answer to your question (which I don't really understand),  just a point taken from personal experience of a bath on a boat.

When we bought the boat it had a full size bath aboard, with a shower above. In 5 years of ownership we have never used the bath (except as a giant shower tray). Frankly we would have to be on a water point in order to fill it and on shore power to heat enough water (even then I doubt we could get it all hot at once).

I intend to pull it out and put a conventional shower in its place but have not got round to it yet.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

A plastic washing machine drain adaptor will screw onto the 1 1/2" bath waste and give you a 25mm and 19mm outlet for a hose. Have a look at McAlpine waste fittings catalogue.

Sam, you're a star!  That's perfect.  This has been driving me mad, glad it's such a simple/ cheap fix

https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-hose-connector/48625?tc=BT1&ds_kid=92700020953274405&ds_rl=1249799&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3ar34Jio2gIVTbXtCh2L_gFCEAQYAiABEgIugvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMT7tvOYqNoCFcFnGwod5zYCzg

Thanks again Sam, yes I intend to fit a shallow trap as well.  It was just getting from 1.5"/ 40mm to 3/4"/ 20mm that was causing me to scratch my head.

Thank you both for your thoughts on baths.  I'm not intending to install this bath on either of your boats so you needn't worry. 

Black Rose you comment about women is sexist and irrelevant 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, OllyO said:

Thank you both for your thoughts on baths.  I'm not intending to install this bath on either of your boats so you needn't worry. 

Several boats ago I took out the 'shower' and fitted a 4 foot bath, not perfect for a 'long lying down soak', but OK for a 'sit down and lean back soak'

Mikuni water heater and a 'reasonable' sized water tank and it was no problem - not an 'every-day' thing but nothing better than easing the aches and pains in a bit of hot water.

image.png.ecf81aaa8fdad5fe241dccbec0caca6a.png

1 hour ago, OllyO said:

Thanks again Sam, yes I intend to fit a shallow trap as well.  It was just getting from 1.5"/ 40mm to 3/4"/ 20mm that was causing me to scratch my head.

Black Rose you comment about women is sexist and irrelevant 

Phew!  That's all right then - I was a bit worried about what I'd do with two of the bloody things!:)

It's all right for Blackrose, he has plenty of space.

• Haha 1

Traditionally you keep the coal in it. I know a boat that has an air bubbly bath in, and it did have a water purification system to use canal water heated in two huge horizontal calorifiers.

But I have never wanted one, seen lots taken out. Its a choice thing. It wouldn't do for us all to be alike.

1 hour ago, OllyO said:

Canal fed jacuzzi on a narrowboat?! That's either an engineering marvel or madness.  I think maybe both! ;-)

Great line on the sales brochure though...