Tiles, best cement for applying tiles to hearth surround.

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, wullie said:

best way to remove old tiles, bolster chisel I'm thinking.

A multi-tool with a scraper blade is great for cleaning up the old adhesive. It’s slow but effective. 

I used plumba flue, high temp silicone and grouted with a flexible grout. If you've got rid of the old tiles and adhesive you'd probably want to go over the area lightly with some abrasive paper and then wipe all the dust off with a damp cloth and let the area dry. You just need a blob of silicone in each corner of the tile, or for bigger tiles a blob in the centre too. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-trade-mate-plumber-flue-silicone-black-310ml/66373

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Note the word rigid surfaces which boat sides/bulkheads certainly are not.

Neil

As none of my tiles around my stove in 18 years since being installed have fallen off or any in the galley or bathroom either. This proves that the stuff is suitable.

11 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

As none of my tiles around my stove in 18 years since being installed have fallen off or any in the galley or bathroom either. This proves that the stuff is suitable.

I used the cheap Wickes tile adhesive and grout around my stove too. Been on there since 1997, even with my solid mounted Lister ST2 shaking the daylights out of them. I wet the tiles when laying them , they stick better.

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

Well I will eat humble pie, I used what my mate recommended and he has been tiling 40 years, but seems any cheap stuff will do.

Neil

When we tiled our bathroom floor at home, which is floorboards covered with hardboard, we chose ‘flexible tile adhesive’. The tile shop insisted that would be no good and we should spend more than the cost of the tiles in buying Bal super-flexible adhesive for wooden floors. We declined, deciding that if the flexible stuff all broke up then we’d eat humble pie and go back to them. 6 years on we have no loose tiles or cracked grout lines.

I’m sure that super-flexible adhesive will be superior, but if the inferior product works, what’s the point? 

Next time I do some tiling I will try the chaepo ones, but when I did the boat my mate sold me enough bal flexi to do fire place and bathroom for £10 so not bad, I know all the tile shops recommend it but they probably have a higher mark up than their normal cheap one.

Neil

We've had a lot of cracked tiles in the house we built in 2011 as the contractor did not use flexible adhesive. A lot have been relaid using flexible. I think I will always use flexible adhesive again wotever the job to avoid any chance of cracked tiles in future. Yes, you may get away with non flexible adhesive but if the substrate is not rigid then why risk it?