Winding on the River Soar

Grassman

Featured Posts

I'm planning on going on the River Soar next month. I don't know the river at all and I would like to know if there is anywhere wide enough to wind a 62ft narrowboat between Kegworth  and Loughborough.

We will be heading south and doing the whole length but will be meeting some friends probably in Zouch for a short cruise. We will need to return them to their car and then turn around again to continue our journey. I know we can wind at the junction in Loughborough but after returning them to Zouch we need somewhere to turn the boat south again.

Any advice from those of you familiar with the river would be much appreciated.

There's quite a few places where you can wind a 62 footer along that stretch, If you plan to meet your friends in Zouch you can travel towards Loughborough and wind where the backwater is, then travel back to Zouch then turn below Zouch lock, that way your friends get to do a lock both ways

Thanks for that.

Looking at Google map I see where you mean - just past the dog poo bin before the towpath narrows. Also by there on the main road at a push. I was also thinking perhaps the pub car park is another possibility if there's nowhere else and we give them our custom.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for that.

Looking at Google map I see where you mean - just past the dog poo bin before the towpath narrows. Also by there on the main road at a push. I was also thinking perhaps the pub car park is another possibility if there's nowhere else and we give them our custom.

I often meet friends at pubs and ask the landlord if they can leave their car for a few of days. Never been refused yet, but I always have a drink and if possible a meal there whilst asking.

12 hours ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for that.

If you look on google maps again, where the footbridge is over the cut, there's a path across the fields to the main road, on the other side of the road is another car park. Generally the pub is OK, but parking is limited at busy times.

Edited by JerryP
typo

55 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ive used the car park at the end of the footpath over the bridge a few times, never had a problem.

Have you escaped the lock now Jerry?

yes Matty, someone knocked on my boat at 7.10 am last Friday wanting to go through, even though it was still just in the red, now mooored where you were.

There are several places to wind on the Soar between Loughborough and Kegworth. Starting at Loughborough there is the junction of canal and river, then by the Plough at Normanton (there are moorings at the pub) then by the Soar Boat Club, junction of Zouch cut and the river, going on towards Kegworth there are several places wide enough to wind a 62ft boat. We often wind on the reach before you get to the Otter (this has poor moorings for a 62ft boat), there is also space to wind beyond the Otter especially just before the weir stream goes off.

Another suggestion for leaving a car would be at the Soar Boat Club - they have plenty of spaces.