Boat Prices

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Bloomin barmy. Just looked at Whilton they have a boat for sale on there for 35k called Kristie. I bought that very boat for 6k in cash in 2001 and sold it  in about 2004. Its worse  inside now than when I owned it. Its a 1981 needing a total refit. That means my present boat must be worth a small fortune. Absolutely barking mad.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yep. Prices are rocketing at the minute. Silly prices.

Well, asking prices may be, but how often does the seller achieve that price? We've just seen a boat in the Historic Boats For Sale section which is being offered at several thousand pounds less than it was a couple of months ago.

Just now, Athy said:

Well, asking prices may be, but how often does the seller achieve that price? We've just seen a boat in the Historic Boats For Sale section which is being offered at several thousand pounds less than it was a couple of months ago.

They are still ridiculous. I had mine valued yesterday and was told it would fetch " High sixties" !! I have been looking at small stuff in the 58 to 62 bracket and the good stuff sells instantly and the mediocre quite quickly and for silly money. Its barmy and not a good thing at all.

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin barmy. Just looked at Whilton they have a boat for sale on there for 35k called Kristie. I bought that very boat for 6k in cash in 2001 and sold it  in about 2004. Its worse  inside now than when I owned it. Its a 1981 needing a total refit. That means my present boat must be worth a small fortune. Absolutely barking mad.

The thing to remember with Whilton is that they are not selling boats, but selling a "Lifestyle & a Floating Flat to wannabe Londoners", and 35K is pocket-change for a pied-a-terre in the City

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

In the case of the brokerage at our marina. Quite a lot achieve either the asking price or very close to the asking price with good boats selling within the week. 

They are crying out for boats to sell at the moment!

If course they have some that refuse to sell, every brokerage does. But these tend to be odd ball boats, scruffy boats or have optimistic owners who have over valued their boats. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ooh, are you finally seeing sense and coming up Wigan flight?

Naah. Ive been up the wigan flight a few times. The last time was in 2000 when we owned our last short boat at 57 feet they have all been 65 or over since then. Besides I have laid off the machine gunner some time ago and would have to employ another one if we were to come back there ;)

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

The prices of boats and the problems on the canals and C&RT attitude lately is exactly why i have not bought a boat yet, things are getting out of control.

Do you not think you might be cutting your nose off to spite your face there Mike?  What is it you think might be going to change so you can then go ahead and buy a boat?

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

People now have access to pension cash which must also be pushing up demand I suspect

It would be nice to access the money locked away in my pension. Alas I have very many years to go before I can get at it!

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

The prices of boats and the problems on the canals and C&RT attitude lately is exactly why i have not bought a boat yet, things are getting out of control.

What problems?

For the vast majority there are no problems and they just get on with enjoying their boating.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It would be nice to access the money locked away in my pension. Alas I have very many years to go before I can get at it!

What problems?

For the vast majority there are no problems and they just get on with enjoying their boating.

Floods, closures, mooring restrictions, locks falling apart and general lack of maintenance seem to be the main problems. The market is way overpriced in my view but that is driven by demand, it will drop one day the same as house prices have done and will do again. I was looking to buy but i can wait, another summer is coming and my cruiser goes back in the water next month.

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Do you not think you might be cutting your nose off to spite your face there Mike?  What is it you think might be going to change so you can then go ahead and buy a boat?

if i was living in UK i would buy a liveaboard tomorrow, but as i am not i will wait and see what happens to the market in the future. 

7 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

So to be sensible and practical, our boat insurance should be upped?

Wonder if there is such a 'thing' as seasonal sales?

good luck with "upping the insurance"... I tried   that when I'd finished the fit out and the repy I got was "we'll need an independent valuation (chargeable of course) and THEN found out, because I'd decided not do go down the RCD route (planning on keeping it for 5 years plus) that would prove nigh on impossible... ergo, the best I could do was increase the "contents element"... from the original figure I insured it at...  hmmf

28 minutes ago, Quaysider said:

good luck with "upping the insurance"... I tried   that when I'd finished the fit out and the repy I got was "we'll need an independent valuation (chargeable of course) and THEN found out, because I'd decided not do go down the RCD route (planning on keeping it for 5 years plus) that would prove nigh on impossible... ergo, the best I could do was increase the "contents element"... from the original figure I insured it at...  hmmf

Just tell them its a 'commercial' (hire) boat.

Its only RECREATIONAL boats that need the RCD.

RCD Exclusion Category H

....craft specifically intended to be crewed and to carry passengers for commercial purposes, without prejudice to paragraph 2, in particular those defined in Directive 82/714/EEC of 4 October 1982 laying down technical requirements for inland waterway vessels (2), regardless of the number of passengers;

NB: Council Directive 82/714/EEC of 4 October 1982, which lays down technical requirements for inland waterway vessels, excludes recreational craft from its scope but does not define them. However, it does exclude and define passenger boats as follows: “Passenger boat” means any vessel built and fitted out to carry more than 12 passengers. As a result of this definition, the phrase “regardless of the number of passengers” had to be added to Directive 94/25/EC.

9 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Floods, closures, mooring restrictions, locks falling apart and general lack of maintenance seem to be the main problems. The market is way overpriced in my view but that is driven by demand, it will drop one day the same as house prices have done and will do again. I was looking to buy but i can wait, another summer is coming and my cruiser goes back in the water next month.

CRT can hardly be blamed for rivers flooding. That's nature it happens!

Closures occur because CRT are carrying out maintenance and repairs. The two go hand in hand.

Good luck waiting for that drop in prices. I expect when you come to sell your cruiser you will also be happy for the price of that to have dropped?

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

CRT can hardly be blamed for rivers flooding. That's nature it happens!

Closures occur because CRT are carrying out maintenance and repairs. The two go hand in hand.

Good luck waiting for that drop in prices. I expect when you come to sell your cruiser you will also be happy for the price of that to have dropped?

My cruiser wont be sold, i was thinking of a second boat, for use in UK. My boat is on Lake Ohrid in Macedonia, a 300 plus sq/km lake, great weather in the summer but not great for all year use, also lakes do become a bit boring after a while. I used to have a 25 foot Seamaster on the Avon in Bristol, could quite easily go for that again.

12 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

if i was living in UK i would buy a liveaboard tomorrow, but as i am not i will wait and see what happens to the market in the future. 

That's not what you said in the post I quoted Mike - you blamed others for your problem. Specifically..

14 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

So, do you not have a boat because of prices, CRT attitude and the problems on canals, i.e. things are "out of control" and someone else is to blame, or is it rather because you live abroad? 

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's not what you said in the post I quoted Mike - you blamed others for your problem. Specifically..

So, do you not have a boat because of prices, CRT attitude and the problems on canals, i.e. things are "out of control" and someone else is to blame, or is it rather because you live abroad? 

Living abroad is part of it, leaving a boat unattended for months is not good, the prices are out of control is what i meant but demand is high so understandable. I loved my time boating in UK and would love to do it again. Retired early and have the money to do it. Family have zero interest in it, if they did then maybe it would be worth it. I dont mean to sound like CRT are to blame for everything, i know they are not. Mrsmelly quotes the boat he bought in 2001 for 6k, i wonder what that boat cost new?

The canals are in much better condition than when I started boating in the early 70's.

Closures then could last for years. Blisworth Tunnel was closed for intermittently between 1977 and 1984 and made it impossible to get from the south to north for 2 years between 1982 and 1984.

Maintenance and thus canal condition reached a peak in the late 80's, early 90's and has been declining ever since. 

I don't think it will decline to the level of the 60's and 70's though because there are many more people interested in them today, even though most are tow path walkers and cyclists.

With regard to boat prices, they are what they are and unless demand for boats drops (unlikely given the ever decreasing number of boat builders and increasing number of TV programmes glamorising canal life) then demand will remain relatively high.

If you want to enjoy boating on Britain's canals I would bite the bullet, buy a boat and enjoy it. Worry about the cost when you no longer enjoy it and come to sell the boat.

Edited by cuthound
Detailed dates on Blisworth Tunnel closure
  • Greenie 1