Leisure Moorings allow 1 week stay a year!?

Featured Posts

CRT are advertising leisure mooring vacancies on the Coventry Canal and for the first time I've notice them implicitly stating how long a person can stay on their boat on that mooring:

"Leisure berths are only available to spend occasional weekends aboard, and possibly a single whole week during the course of a year. "  

https://www.watersidemooring.com/336-grendon-wharf-l1/Vacancies#berth3995

One single week per year!? :ninja: Where's that number come from,  and how long has that been the rule, I wonder. If boaters followed that rule CRT would potentially lose a huge amount of income because excluding liveaboards sneaking under the radar, the vast majority of boaters I know who have leisure moorings spend much more time on it than a week, either fitting out the boat, spending school holidays with the family, or otherwise using it as a static holiday home as much as a mobile one. Winter stoppages and ice would also potentially prevent boaters from staying aboard if it took them over their 1 week a year limit.  And any of that would render leisure moorings useless to many boaters and not worth paying for.

So why have CRT come up with that 1 week limit? To appease local authorities maybe? To pay lip service to marina owners? Or to intentionally render leisure moorings almost obsolete in the longer term, even?  

Thoughts? 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

It has been said that CaRT don't understand boating and boaters  - and this is, perhaps, a clear indication of that. OTOH if I was a lessor, I might put onerous terms on an advert to discourage 'abuse' of a mooring...

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Quite likely restrictions imposed by local planning consent and not made up by CRT.

This is unlikely.  The boat does not enter into it.  It is the piece of land that can be granted planning permission.  The Local Planning Authority cannot impose preventative sanctions.  A boat would only become subject to Planning Permission, if it is moored in a specific place and serves the function of being a principal primary residence.  This is likely to be CRT and I believe they can impose any conditions they choose, as no-one is compelled to moor there, but if they do, they they accept the conditions.

35 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

This is unlikely.  The boat does not enter into it.  It is the piece of land that can be granted planning permission.  The Local Planning Authority cannot impose preventative sanctions.  A boat would only become subject to Planning Permission, if it is moored in a specific place and serves the function of being a principal primary residence.  This is likely to be CRT and I believe they can impose any conditions they choose, as no-one is compelled to moor there, but if they do, they they accept the conditions.

Really?
They seem to do lots of times about caravan sites, or over agricultural worker housing.

Absolutly draconian.

I have already decided I won't take a winter mooring [when I getaboat, lol], just a few years ago  the basic moorings were decent value, now they look like a rip off.

I can see me going to the Middle Levels.............

Edited by LadyG

I've moored on two farm moorings on the Macc.  One was happy to allow liveaboards albeit it a higher rent, my current one doesn't.  I would imagine it's down to the site owner, whoever it is. Personally, I can't see the problem - if you're renting out the land, you don't use it (which is the case with most of CRT's moorings), why should anyone care if you live on it or just go down every weekend?

Pleased to say I've never had a BW or CRT mooring.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

There's at least 2 boats there with permanent liveaboards. 

Part of the site details says......... 

Owners with boats moored on the Leisure part of the site are not permitted to liveaboard for long periods during the year.

Does that imply that there are residential moorings there so they don't want people having liveaboard moorings at leisure mooring prices. The residential moorings bods might be a bit unhappy about it.

2 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thoughts? 

One should delete ones thread and stay under the radar like other sensibull foulkes.

scary names like poll tax, the witches tythes and Parrys pecuniary thintank taxes come to mind.

if someone new comes to any moorings within a 100 miles of your moorings, pretend you only visit once a milenium.

cough.

hope this helps.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can only dominate Orcs up to your level, gear drops scale with how much experience you have, and any chests you get from the market will only give equipment and Orcs appropriate to your level.

Have you been sniffing envelopes again? 

Eta Anyway that's Middle earth. Much the same, so you may have a point. 

Edited by rusty69

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Did you get out in one piece? 

He was tarred and feathered by the Bedford Levels elders.

As for Council tax. your billed if they deem you to spend more than six months on the moorings or if you have another address that you pay council tax on. They class the mooring as a second home. Round here the council tax is done by a privite company after it was contacted out, who have vested intrested in rising as much tax as they can for a bigger fee. Dealing with them is a pain, in my own case I have a house in Dorset and have had the mooring listed twice on the VOA listing with a PO Box I never had and at the wrong address. I only found out about this when I had a phone call from them as letters (All addressed to the PO Box) had been returned to sender. All my post goes to my home address.   

4 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

"Leisure berths are only available to spend occasional weekends aboard, and possibly a single whole week during the course of a year. "  

I note this only applies to Berth 2 the 58ft space. Berth 9 62ft appears to carrie no such restriction.

Much the same price per foot too. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've moored on two farm moorings on the Macc.  One was happy to allow liveaboards albeit it a higher rent, my current one doesn't.  I would imagine it's down to the site owner, whoever it is. Personally, I can't see the problem - if you're renting out the land, you don't use it (which is the case with most of CRT's moorings), why should anyone care if you live on it or just go down every weekend?

Pleased to say I've never had a BW or CRT mooring.

CRT is the site owner as such, they are CRT leisure moorings 

Perhaps ..... Possibly ...... Likely.

Not good enough, we need to understand the reason behind this otherwise it's the thin end of a wedge where Custom and Tradition allows a radical change in what we're all used to and expect.

Explain CRT!

• Greenie 1