Polishing Brass

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

You should polish up the brass so carefully and then you'll be the ruler of the Queens navy.

Gosh I didn’t realise we still had a navy.  I know we have an aircraft carrier but there no jets on it.   :D

Amway metal cleaner is bonzer for really mucky brass, but it does not do a shine. Viakal is good for rain spots and light grot. Whatever happened to Ajax powder? That was good for deep crappiness, especially with a Brillo pad.

Not tried Peek yet but Hot Spot is better than Brasso for a deep shine.  Carr and Day and Martin also do (did?) a good polish. Like Brasso but slightly thicker. Brasso wadding is cr@p IMHO.

N

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Did someone mention toadstools?

IMG_20180405_160622810.jpg

Exellent. I did do the whole mushroom spots/toadstool look on one boat but couldnt be arsed on this one. Brass mushrooms are soooooooooo traditional arnt they....................NOT. Having had to polish REAL brass REAL portholes even when oft covered in salt in an occupation years ago I aint doing it on toy town narrowboats innitt.

For really tarnished brass (whatever polish you use) rub it on using extra fine wire wool.

It will tend to make very fine scratches in the brass, but after the tarnish is removed, just polish as normal & the fine scratches will disappear!

19 hours ago, Murflynn said:

the Scarlet Pimpernel lives here

I realised that which is why I made my comment.  It was meant to be humorous but I think it may have rattled a cage or two.  Wasn’t my intention to do so.

I must say for someone who professes to not cleaning the boat outside I must say that roof is gleaming.  I think someone doth protest to much and may in fact be a closet detailer:D

Just to be clear that comment is also meant in jest.

14 hours ago, Tony Fuller said:

For really tarnished brass (whatever polish you use) rub it on using extra fine wire wool.

It will tend to make very fine scratches in the brass, but after the tarnish is removed, just polish as normal & the fine scratches will disappear!

Thank you for the helpful information.

2 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

I realised that which is why I made my comment.  It was meant to be humorous but I think it may have rattled a cage or two.  Wasn’t my intention to do so.

I must say for someone who professes to not cleaning the boat outside I must say that roof is gleaming.  I think someone doth protest to much and may in fact be a closet detailer:D

Just to be clear that comment is also meant in jest.

Thank you for the helpful information.

Oi r u on about me mush? Only reason my roof is clean  is cos it aint stopped raining for six months innitt :D I do however always keep the roof clear non of this carrying a manky tree or pushbike on my boat. :)

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oi r u on about me mush? Only reason my roof is clean  is cos it aint stopped raining for six months innitt :D I do however always keep the roof clear non of this carrying a manky tree or pushbike on my boat. :)

That's not pride, you just have a big enough boat you could get both of mine and all my junk in your saloon! 

54 minutes ago, plainsman said:

Homecare Shiny Sinks cream cleaner (Tesco, Wilco etc) is less harsh and cheaper than Barkeepers Friend but still removes the worst tarnish, followed by a good metal polish does the job

We used to use shiny sinks on our mushrooms 20 odd years ago,with good results.Thats before the novelty wore off after the first two years and we gave up.

2 hours ago, plainsman said:

Homecare Shiny Sinks cream cleaner (Tesco, Wilco etc) is less harsh and cheaper than Barkeepers Friend but still removes the worst tarnish, followed by a good metal polish does the job

Should I ever finish the tin of BKF I will give that a go.  Thanks

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

We used to use shiny sinks on our mushrooms 20 odd years ago,with good results.Thats before the novelty wore off after the first two years and we gave up.

I suspect that is going to be me :)

For the past thirty odd years I've been used to  polishing acres of brass on our boats. 

The first picture shows our butty in the later FMC livery as it looked before last year's restoration. It is now in pre-WWI livery and is completely bling free - no brass anywhere (apart from the back cabin, that is).  

DSCF0056.JPG.848146e19926a964cb614efa1484e5aa.JPG

20180407_140151.jpg.e403f59add35313f0e2cb73245663172.jpg

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

For the past thirty odd years I've been used to  polishing acres of brass on our boats. 

The first picture shows our butty in the later FMC livery as it looked before last year's restoration. It is now in pre-WWI livery and is completely bling free - no brass anywhere (apart from the back cabin, that is).  

DSCF0056.JPG.848146e19926a964cb614efa1484e5aa.JPG

20180407_140151.jpg.e403f59add35313f0e2cb73245663172.jpg

I do like that bling.  Impressive.  But I wouldn’t like to polish it. :)

I like the look of really tarnised brass and keep the mushrooms with their brown patina.

It's a balance imo. Too much brass polished and it looks too precious and slighly ridiculous (or faked via laquer).  ;)

If I have got a _thing_ it's to keep the roof completely clear of crap.

Edited by mark99

18 minutes ago, mark99 said:

If I have got a _thing_ it's to keep the roof completely clear of crap.

Completely agree theres nowt looks worse than trees, boxes, tarpaulines etc stuck ont lid of the boat.