Alde boiler pump, replace with inline

Featured Posts

As title says, i am going to remove the pump from my alde comfort, the one that sits in the expansion tank on top of the boiler, i find it takes far to long to heat the rads.

Have fitted new rads this year and replaced 75% of the pipes from the old 22m down to 15mm and also cutting out the bypass under each rad meaning water passes directly through each rad before moving to the next one, i hope with an inline pump the water will more faster meaning quicker heat up times.

Does this sound right, do i need to choose a pump with a certain pump speed, was thinking one of these purely because i have one already on the hot water side of the boiler and it works well heating the tank in 15 mins.

Thanks

I would be tempted to try one of these

however with you having modified your radiator plumbing I suspect you will find that the first radiator gets hot and every radiator after that is cooler, the further along the radiators you get the colder they will be (because the water has already used it's heat on every other radiator it has passed through)

the usual way is to have a flow and return that runs to all radiators and each radiator goes between flow & return, then you use the 2nd valve on the radiators to regulate the flow through each one to keep everything in balance (so all radiators get the same level of heating)

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I dunno. Does electricity at the same voltage flow faster through bigger wires? 

There’s more of it left at the other end but nothing travels faster than the speed of light, Einstein said so. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So how come a Warp Drive works then?

Oh do keep up. Dilithium crystals. 

They control the antimatter reaction and enable space time to be bent. 

They only appear to be travelling faster than light. It’s all relative you know. 

56 minutes ago, WotEver said:

and enable space time to be bent. 

I realised space time was a bit queer,but are you sure its bent? or is it only around black holes!

52 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If you drove your car at the speed of light and turned the headlamps on, would anything happen?

Yeah.You'd get knicked for speeding by a copper on a light cycle!

Tron-Legacy-Lightcycle.jpg

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

If you drove your car at the speed of light and turned the headlamps on, would anything happen?

Only for you. An observer behind you wouldn’t see you at all and one in front of you would see your lights only when you arrived. 

Or something like that. 

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh do keep up. Dilithium crystals. 

They control the antimatter reaction and enable space time to be bent. 

They only appear to be travelling faster than light. It’s all relative you know. 

I'm not convinced. 

ISTR as you approach the speed of light, you get heavier so you can never get there as the energy needed approaches infinite. A bit like getting up in the morning. 

On an unrelated note, if you die in your sleep is it true you won't know anything bout it until the morning? 

4 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I would be tempted to try one of these

however with you having modified your radiator plumbing I suspect you will find that the first radiator gets hot and every radiator after that is cooler, the further along the radiators you get the colder they will be (because the water has already used it's heat on every other radiator it has passed through)

the usual way is to have a flow and return that runs to all radiators and each radiator goes between flow & return, then you use the 2nd valve on the radiators to regulate the flow through each one to keep everything in balance (so all radiators get the same level of heating)

Another vote for the cheap solar pumps , I have used one of these to replace the bolin pump on my previous boat and it worked faultlessly for 2 years

Rick

With the arrangement you have designed you are going to need a decent pump to keep the water circulating fast enough that there is enough heat left in the water by the time it passes through the furthest radiator. 

Obviously it's one off all off which presumably you are happy about. 

The one you have enquired about draws 2.2 Amps which is significant but not outrageous. I also notice the declared service hours are 5000 so it will probably last a few years before you wear it out. 

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

ISTR as you approach the speed of light, you get heavier so you can never get there as the energy needed approaches infinite.

That’s why you bend space time. Then you don’t have to move very fast at all, because it’s space that’s travelling around you instead of you moving through it.

Time doesn’t exist anyway. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

That’s why you bend space time. Then you don’t have to move very fast at all, because it’s space that’s travelling around you instead of you moving through it.

Time doesn’t exist anyway. 

"Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth ...there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself