Maintenance Fails

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Is there a problem ? It must have been like it for some considerable time because it probably works after a fashion. But if not, those lacking mechanical engineering knowledge would not know why, and just stand there and hold the paddle open with the lock key. And those that did know why, would do the same anyway.

The engineers here would know what is wrong, and what to do to 'fix' it, albeit there could be a bit more to it than at first sight.

15 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

But if not, those lacking mechanical engineering knowledge would not know why, and just stand there and hold the paddle open with the lock key.

Jamming it open with a lock key is quite likely damage the lock key, then it won't fit in the door lock and unlock it, leaving one stuck outside in the cold and unable to access one's boat.

I think using a windlass would be a far better and more practical idea. 

:giggles:

16 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The restricter is missing to stop the safety pawl from being lifted off too far.

CRT staff have instructions NOT to fit any more of those dangerous devices.  Sadly CRT cannot fund the specific task of removing existing ones.  Fortunately, they are being assisted by suitably equipped private boaters.

George

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I know for a fact that some of us boaters just fix stuff without reporting it, as it is faster to sort things that way. 

Yes, I've experience of a boater oiling and greasing a similar item - allegedly!

I say "allegedly" because some dimwit will now respond pointing out the dangers of polluting the whole system with 3-in-1 oil

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Jamming it open with a lock key is quite likely damage the lock key, then it won't fit in the door lock and unlock it, leaving one stuck outside in the cold and unable to access one's boat.

I think using a windlass would be a far better and more practical idea. 

:giggles:

Not jamming! No!

Just standing there waiting holding the lock key by hand.

IMG_20180331_145457825.jpg.84e63da795c7d216ecca7cb52a1fdbe9.jpg

It looks 'right' that way around - to the uninitiated - neat, everything is sort-of-inline.

Put it the correct way round and it looks "wrong" with the pawl sticking out away from the frame - until you try to test it... That's the problem with contractors, especially when the lowest price wins and  gets no training from  whoever places the contract.

I must confess - been there, done it - but I tested the result and put it right..... 

I contacted CaRT regarding this ground paddle on the Worcs & B’ham on the Tardebigge flight 10 days ago, as of yet no response.

The windlass shaft is almost seized solid, no a drop of grease anywhere to be seen.

New gear added to another lock, again no grease applied, hardly going to last very long before needing maintenance.

0E0EA3E1-183F-42EF-92F1-29874D8F0510.jpeg

4 hours ago, OldGoat said:

IMG_20180331_145457825.jpg.84e63da795c7d216ecca7cb52a1fdbe9.jpg

It looks 'right' that way around - to the uninitiated - neat, everything is sort-of-inline.

Put it the correct way round and it looks "wrong" with the pawl sticking out away from the frame - until you try to test it... That's the problem with contractors, especially when the lowest price wins and  gets no training from  whoever places the contract.

I must confess - been there, done it - but I tested the result and put it right..... 

But which bit is wrong, has someone but the cog on the shaft back to front?

On 4/3/2018 at 21:48, TheBiscuits said:

It's been like that for about 18 months now.  I just happened to remember to take a photo of it on Sunday while going through Blackburn.

That draws attention to the difference between the working era & today that would have been put right by lock keeper/lengths man or a working boater & a liberal "sploge"  of grease, on second thoughts it would have been fitted correctly first time around as it would have been obvious as the person fitting it didn't give it a test run

12 hours ago, steve hayes said:

I contacted CaRT regarding this ground paddle on the Worcs & B’ham on the Tardebigge flight 10 days ago, as of yet no response.

The windlass shaft is almost seized solid, no a drop of grease anywhere to be seen.

New gear added to another lock, again no grease applied, hardly going to last very long before needing maintenance.

If you recall a bloke with a small black dog who closed a couple of gates for you near the top of the flight that was me.

The bloke that is, not the dog...

JP

• Love 1

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Looking at the boss on the cog I’m not sure that would be possible. Easily determined - which way do you wind it to lift the paddle? If it’s anticlockwise then the pawl is wrong. If it’s clockwise then the cog is wrong. 

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well done, you win today's gold star.

Previously this gate had a straight snick, not a curved claw.  For these to work, the cog needs to be the opposite way round.

I suspect that the job sheet for this "fix" said something like "replace snick with claw pawl" which is exactly what happened.

The right way to fix this is indeed to remove the whole shaft, flip the cog round and replace.  It is a shame they didn't do this during the stoppage last month when the cill failed and was rebuilt.

13 hours ago, steve hayes said:

Grease.......GREASE!! nasty dirty stuff. Do you expect todays boaters having alighted from the cabin of their shiney  boat having just switched off the  hairdryer and donned their high heeled shoes to get their hands or jacket dirty :o

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Grease.......GREASE!! nasty dirty stuff. Do you expect todays boaters having alighted from the cabin of their shiney  boat having just switched off the  hairdryer and donned their high heeled shoes to get their hands or jacket dirty :o

I have noticed that on my last few trips down the oxford (brinklow - dukes cut) someone has almost always left a short stick next to the paddles for people to use to flick the pawl off / on

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I have noticed that on my last few trips down the oxford (brinklow - dukes cut) someone has almost always left a short stick next to the paddles for people to use to flick the pawl off / on

It was like that when we were on the S Oxford about 4 years ago