Hire boat briefing

Big Bob W

Featured Posts

We shared Buckby flight this morning with a family who picked up their boat from ABC at Gayton yesterday.

They were a really nice group. This was their first experience of a lock though and were quite apprehensive. We worked the flight with them and by the time we reached the New Inn, I think they had a good idea what it was all about. However, I was surprised by their description of the briefing they had before setting off. A quick demo with a model lock by someone who openly admitted that it was their first time training and were not that sure themselves!

All a bit worrying really. What would have happened if they faced the first lock on their own? Or, as I suspect, do ABC rely on the fact that someone will help them through.

Completely different to Andersons in Middlewich who I have watched a few times. 2 instructors, one on the boat explaining to the steerer and one on the lock side with the locking crew so both parties know what is happening in a lock and what they should do. 

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Completely different to Andersons in Middlewich who I have watched a few times. 2 instructors, one on the boat explaining to the steerer and one on the lock side with the locking crew so both parties know what is happening in a lock and what they should do. 

I have seen Calcutt do the same thing. I guess its a bit more difficult for ABC at Gayton because unless they head down the Northampton Arm, they don't come across a lock for a couple of hours. What surprised me though was the fact they clearly had not had anything like a decent briefing. 

27 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

We shared Buckby flight this morning with a family who picked up their boat from ABC at Gayton yesterday.

They were a really nice group. This was their first experience of a lock though and were quite apprehensive. We worked the flight with them and by the time we reached the New Inn, I think they had a good idea what it was all about. However, I was surprised by their description of the briefing they had before setting off. A quick demo with a model lock by someone who openly admitted that it was their first time training and were not that sure themselves!

All a bit worrying really. What would have happened if they faced the first lock on their own? Or, as I suspect, do ABC rely on the fact that someone will help them through.

This was, and I assume still is, the standard practice at the Skipton/Silsden boat hires on the Leeds and Liverpool as the nearest lock is a couple of days' cruising away. This is how we faced our very first lock (Gargrave) years ago and, although it was daunting, we took our time and managed ok. We had also read up on the process in advance. 

Our first boat hire was 1978 from where ABC are now at Anderton. So Robert came with us to the first bridge, 200 yards? and said they would meet us a Big Lock at Middlewich. When we arrived at the lock in the gloom someone came out of the pub and sering us scratching our heads proceeded to show us how it worked. We assumed he worked for ABC and if wasn't until we were leaving that if became obvious he was just a passerby. 

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

ABC at Gayton have long been renowned for telling their hirers just to go to the first lock and wait there until someone comes along who knows what to do.

Exactly this.

We have helped numerous perplexed ABC hirers from Gayton at Stoke Bruerne over the years, including witnessing a cilling, and manage to intervene just fast enough to prevent it being a sinking.

They seem to be one of the most lax around.

Wyvern at Leighton Buzzard do a great job if crews are heading north.  We were delayed by 45 minutes at Leighton Lock last summer whilst training was happening for two boats.  BUT - it was clearly excellent because we were anticipating a slow transit through the Soulbury 3, but not a bit of it.  Don't know what happens if the crew want to travel South...

A training video would not be too much to expect when you consider the costs.

25 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

ABC at Gayton have long been renowned for telling their hirers just to go to the first lock and wait there until someone comes along who knows what to do.

As are Whilton with most boat buyers..."turn right for London and when you get to the first lock(Stoke Bruerne) just wait for someone to show you"

55 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

I have seen Calcutt do the same thing. I guess its a bit more difficult for ABC at Gayton because unless they head down the Northampton Arm, they don't come across a lock for a couple of hours. What surprised me though was the fact they clearly had not had anything like a decent briefing. 

I think last time I was that way they came down to the lock and looked at it before winding and going back, not the same as actually working it.

13 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Wyvern at Leighton Buzzard do a great job if crews are heading north.  We were delayed by 45 minutes at Leighton Lock last summer whilst training was happening for two boats.  BUT - it was clearly excellent because we were anticipating a slow transit through the Soulbury 3, but not a bit of it.  Don't know what happens if the crew want to travel South...

A training video would not be too much to expect when you consider the costs.

That has jogged my memory that, as well as a demonstration lock model, Silsden Boats show a training video. Realistically, this is much as they can be expected to do given the distance to the nearest lock. 

Caley Cruisers (on the Caledonian Canal) use a training video AND take you through the first lock, even if you are experienced. Their briefing also includes how to safely deploy a drogue anchor in the event of power loss, not something you need on many canals!

2 hours ago, rgreg said:

That has jogged my memory that, as well as a demonstration lock model, Silsden Boats show a training video. Realistically, this is much as they can be expected to do given the distance to the nearest lock. 

Their instructions last Summer to hirers were that they were not allowed to go through Gargrave bottom lock on Day 1.  Someone drove out the following morning to show them how to work the lock, even if they had experience.

I assume they did the same the other side too.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Their instructions last Summer to hirers were that they were not allowed to go through Gargrave bottom lock on Day 1.  Someone drove out the following morning to show them how to work the lock, even if they had experience.

That is good service. It must be a bit of a logistical problem for them as you would expect boats to be arriving at Gargrave at different times, unless they are instructed to notify the base on arrival or they are specifically told to be there at a certain time.

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah that explains what I was told... I thought the bloke

that told me they had no instruction was joking....until

I got massively sideswiped by Helen's Drum last year,

no stopping to apologise either.

16 hours ago, NickF said:

Caley Cruisers (on the Caledonian Canal) use a training video AND take you through the first lock, even if you are experienced. Their briefing also includes how to safely deploy a drogue anchor in the event of power loss, not something you need on many canals!

Im surprised at this given that all of the locks and bridges are manned!

Our last hire on the Broads we just signed a form at reception were pointed towards the boat and told to get on our way. A very swift and easy process :rolleyes: