Slow electricity

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Yes, the panels produce DC, which is converted to AC and boosted to mains voltage and frequency by the inverter. The inverter then synchronises with and tracks the mains frequency.

... which is why the solar panels don't work if the grid is down (in the normal domestic installation)

25 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

... which is why the solar panels don't work if the grid is down (in the normal domestic installation)

I didn’t know that. Makes perfect sense though. 

On 03/04/2018 at 21:03, cuthound said:

The National Grid effectivery parallels loads of generators totalling over 27Twh of capacity,

PEDANT ALERT !!

your units do not compute.

are you trying to wind me up?  what do you mean by generators' capacity?  is this an annual total or an instantaneous rate?

On 03/04/2018 at 21:03, cuthound said:

The National Grid effectivery parallels loads of generators totalling over 27Twh of capacity,

PEDANT ALERT !!

your units do not compute.

are you trying to wind me up?  what do you mean by generators' capacity?  is this an annual total or an instantaneous rate?

Can't find the document on t'interweb that I took it from now, but it referred to the maximum ability to supply overy a 1 hour period.

Wikipedia gives the following

• Annual electrical energy used in the UK is around 360 TWh (1.3 EJ)
  • Capacity (2005/6): 79.9 GW (or 80 GW per the 2008 Seven Year Statement)

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Can't find the document on t'interweb that I took it from now, but it referred to the maximum ability to supply overy a 1 hour period.

Wikipedia gives the following

• Annual electrical energy used in the UK is around 360 TWh (1.3 EJ)
  • Capacity (2005/6): 79.9 GW (or 80 GW per the 2008 Seven Year Statement)

Shrinking fast due to coal closure, now down under 60GW hence expecting power shedding in winter, where firms who use loads and loads are paid to shut down, money for nothing, I planed to set up a smelter and wait for the payments for doing nothing, but I am well back in the queue for free money.

7 minutes ago, Detling said:

Shrinking fast due to coal closure, now down under 60GW hence expecting power shedding in winter, where firms who use loads and loads are paid to shut down, money for nothing, I planed to set up a smelter and wait for the payments for doing nothing, but I am well back in the queue for free money.

When I worked for BT I used to get involved in the TRIAD runs, whereby if you were off grid and generating your own electricity for three unspecifed half hour periods (which eventually turned out to be the three periods of peak demand for that winter) you got a huge discount on your electricity bill.

They would warn you of potential TRIAD periods so often, that if you ran the generators for them all, the fuel, overtime and increased maintenance costs vastly exceeded the discount potentially available.

• 2 months later...
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:56, Phil Ambrose said:

We are on to something here, dog clocks or tummy clocks as they are sometimes know are very reliable, on our boat we have breakfast o'clock (8-00am)

Dinner  o'clock (6-00pm)

Dentastix o'clock (7-30pm)

Bonio o'clock ( 11-30pm)

And yes all these times are remarkable in their accuracy 

Phil 

Very similar for ours :

08:00 Breakfast & 'Food outlet tube emptied'

17:00 Dinner

20:00 'Food outlet tube emptied' and Dentastix

12:00 Jelly babies and bed

The Pug literally runs to the door and starts wining within a couple of minutes either side of the 'official times'. The French Bullog has to be poked & woken up.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Love 1