Calder & Hebble is on one...

NB Esk

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Any better up your way yet NB Esk ? 

Dropped overnight here an amazing amount and lock has come off red and onto flashing red.

Pic below of yesterday afternoon and just now- hell of a drop but flows still a bit lively.

2018-04-04 09.35.29.jpg

2018-04-04 09.36.39.jpg

Yes mate, different day now. Flood gates won't be open yet but may be later.  Definitely tomorrow if no more rain.  That looks like Bulholme lock you're on, are you moored in Cas?  I'll be pushing two 70' mud hoppers through there in a couple of weeks, taking them to Thorne for grit blasting.

2 hours ago, Nick D said:

Whereabouts are you Paul? I don't recognise the bridge.

As ST says. Spoke to a few round here- Its still high -the landing stages are all under and other boater (maybe ST even! ) told me need to lose another four foot yet. CRT chap reckons by weekend if...

2 hours ago, Sweeny Todd said:

Its the bridge out of the Cas lock going in the direction of Ferrybridge. We are moored up there too. River is down a lot this morning but canal was well up yesterday.

20180403_104736.jpg

You are on the wet end :lol: Im right next to Bullhome lock where the towpath is higher and have a gap in the hedge so satellite works!

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Yes mate, different day now. Flood gates won't be open yet but may be later.  Definitely tomorrow if no more rain.  That looks like Bulholme lock you're on, are you moored in Cas?  I'll be pushing two 70' mud hoppers through there in a couple of weeks, taking them to Thorne for grit blasting.

Well I hope Im not still here in two weeks  :lol:

On Plan B now -cant see me getting up Trent /Soar anytime soon so hoping to head towards you and travel down towards T& M instead . Your prediction is very encouraging. Plan C is when I give up :lol:

That's the twig that tried to reduce my boat owning from two down to one.  A guy on another boat was having a coffee, on the back of his boat, in the middle of night.  He saw those prongs coming towards him and the tree went under him and came up under mine (he saw my boat rear up) no one got much sleep that night.  Levels will fluctuate now due to flood management systems releasing water.

IMG_0014.JPG

8 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

That's the twig that tried to reduce my boat owning from two down to one.  A guy on another boat was having a coffee, on the back of his boat, in the middle of night.  He saw those prongs coming towards him and the tree went under him and came up under mine (he saw my boat rear up) no one got much sleep that night.  Levels will fluctuate now due to flood management systems releasing water.

IMG_0014.JPG

Did that 'twig' roll under the Dolphins ?

If so it shows how inadequate they are for protecting NBs (a NB ended up broadside against a dolphin on the Trent and just rolled under it)

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

I'm beginning to worry, Mr Esk, that you're moored a little too close to that weir for comfort. :huh:

• Happy 1

we're a bit p'd off with the Calder... here we are - on our MAIDEN voyage with first paying customers onboard - having planned to go to Cooper bridge and back over 2 nights, STUCK between Stanley Ferry and Altofts... hmmf...  ruddy river.

We'll give it 1 more hour to get back into the yellow, before we abandon it and take them to the ferry boat for tea.... hmmf, hmmf and more hmmmf

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Did that 'twig' roll under the Dolphins ?

If so it shows how inadequate they are for protecting NBs (a NB ended up broadside against a dolphin on the Trent and just rolled under it)

Yes, it went under.  It's a fair sized old tree, it'll sit there now until the next big flood.

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I'm beginning to worry, Mr Esk, that you're moored a little too close to that weir for comfort. :huh:

It's when I'm moored ON the weir that you need to worry, lol.  Ta anyway...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quaysider said:

we're a bit p'd off with the Calder... here we are - on our MAIDEN voyage with first paying customers onboard - having planned to go to Cooper bridge and back over 2 nights, STUCK between Stanley Ferry and Altofts... hmmf...  ruddy river.

We'll give it 1 more hour to get back into the yellow, before we abandon it and take them to the ferry boat for tea.... hmmf, hmmf and more hmmmf

It can be a funny carry on.  Suppose it happens elsewhere but I've seem lock lights on red and then when you look at the marker board at the other end, it's just into the green.  Probably the holding back of water caused by weirs.

On 03/04/2018 at 14:26, Nick D said:

Was hoping to start a four week cruise today from Fairies Hill down the A&C, C&H and onto the Rochdale.  According to the EA website, the river levels have peaked so now hoping to make a start on Thursday but any info from folks currently on these sections would be gratefully received.

This morning we came up from Stanley ferry to Falll ing... it was JUST in the yellow when we left broadreach but on arrival at fall ing, it was still in red  - a crt chap had a moan about "you do know your insurance isnt valid don't you" - "you shouldnt be on when its red"...  I explained it WAS on yellow and falling  when we got on...  he grumbled but he's only trying to be helpful.

We're' gonna have lunch near the ruddy duck and then head back down - hopefully fall ing will TOO be on yellow by the time we get there.

It was quite fast flowing coming up so we're going to crawl out and hug the wall with a rope being held to get back to the lock landing - itll be easier back at stanley as the flow is slower there.

23 minutes ago, Quaysider said:

This morning we came up from Stanley ferry to Falll ing... it was JUST in the yellow when we left broadreach but on arrival at fall ing, it was still in red  - a crt chap had a moan about "you do know your insurance isnt valid don't you" - "you shouldnt be on when its red"...  I explained it WAS on yellow and falling  when we got on...  he grumbled but he's only trying to be helpful.

We're' gonna have lunch near the ruddy duck and then head back down - hopefully fall ing will TOO be on yellow by the time we get there.

It was quite fast flowing coming up so we're going to crawl out and hug the wall with a rope being held to get back to the lock landing - itll be easier back at stanley as the flow is slower there.

Yes, still some flow due to last evenings rain.  Out of interest, what colour was the traffic light at Stanley ferry flood lock (think it's called Broadreach lock) ?

31 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Yes, still some flow due to last evenings rain.  Out of interest, what colour was the traffic light at Stanley ferry flood lock (think it's called Broadreach lock) ?

light out of order - has been for  a short while now....

btw - we've just had a walk over the bridge and seen in the flesh that "tree" that's come down passed /under you - OUCH!!!

Edited by Quaysider
forgot something

3 hours ago, Quaysider said:

light out of order - has been for  a short while now....

btw - we've just had a walk over the bridge and seen in the flesh that "tree" that's come down passed /under you - OUCH!!!

Tell me about it, be glad to see the back of those mud hoppers, so I can get back in to safety.  Think we're due to set off with them next Friday, good riddance, lol.  Pic below shows the hopper barges on my mooring plus another view of the beaver dam....

IMG_0018.JPG

1 hour ago, Quaysider said:

we're back down at stanley ferry now and safely off the river - it JUST got back into the yellow before we left - still interesting tying up at broad reach though.    Time for tea in the pub I thinks

How are the guests? Have you managed to put them off water for life? Or are they demanding something to top that for excitement tomorrow?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

How are the guests? Have you managed to put them off water for life? Or are they demanding something to top that for excitement tomorrow?

It was only a 2 night (3 day) taster and it went Really well - floods a side...  very quickly all became comfortable around each other and mucking in - just received a lovely testimonial via face book from them ... shame they weren't staying a while longer .  Still, on Tuesday, we set off on our voyage to Liverpool with our next guests.

VERY sure now that sharing our adventures IS a good thing to be doing.... can't wait to set off properly now. :-) 

• Greenie 1

You should be fine now - it's back in the yellow and still falling...  good to be "home" now... well, until Tuesday  ;-) 

3 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Tell me about it, be glad to see the back of those mud hoppers, so I can get back in to safety.  Think we're due to set off with them next Friday, good riddance, lol.  Pic below shows the hopper barges on my mooring plus another view of the beaver dam....

IMG_0018.JPG

what ARE you going to do with all that kindling though?DSC_0796.jpg.ad32a89d9ce54e3ee8f3b052b83d1f61.jpg

27 minutes ago, Quaysider said:

You should be fine now - it's back in the yellow and still falling...  good to be "home" now... well, until Tuesday  ;-) 

what ARE you going to do with all that kindling though?DSC_0796.jpg.ad32a89d9ce54e3ee8f3b052b83d1f61.jpg

Lol, you've been on the bridge.  Kindling will probably be following you unfortunately.  There's not a lot we can do with it apart from letting it go.  I've seen it worse than that, much worse.

32 minutes ago, Nick D said:

As long as we can get on to the Calder at Fairies Hill we are planning to go through Stanley Ferry tomorrow so will keep a look out for you. Give us a wave!

Have just looked at the forthcoming itenerary for NB Ellis. We are hoping to cruise the ring down the C&H to Manchester and back along the L&L in four weeks so we will probably see you again maybe around Barnoldswick?  Good luck with your new venture!

15 hours ago, Nick D said:

Have just looked at the forthcoming itenerary for NB Ellis. We are hoping to cruise the ring down the C&H to Manchester and back along the L&L in four weeks so we will probably see you again maybe around Barnoldswick?  Good luck with your new venture!

Cheers for the wishes and make sure you say hello - better still, stop for a beer!

52 minutes ago, Nick D said:

If only we could! It's still on red up here at Fairies Hill so could be yet another day before we can move.

Yes, flood gates not open yet.  Probably the flood management scheme that's releasing it's water, unless there's been more rain up the Calder valley.

8 hours ago, Nick D said:

If only we could! It's still on red up here at Fairies Hill so could be yet another day before we can move.

Lifted red at Castleford at about 10.30 this morning-had a good easy run to Dewbury. Apart from bit of a job getting through Thornes flood lock-together with the other 5 boats stuck either side got through OK in the end. Passed this chap on the way through...

20180406_121751.jpg