Calder & Hebble is on one...

NB Esk

Featured Posts

What a night, the C&H is trying to recreate Boxing Day 2015, managed about two hours sleep.  Normally moored against the wharf but two mud hoppers are there, having some major alterations done, so I'm out in mid channel.  Doesn't look too bad in the first pic, looks like I'm under way, doing about ten knots.  Pic two shows the other side, was clear water yesterday, all of this rubbish has happened overnight.  Not easily scared but this is not nice...

Image order reversed but you get the idea.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Edited by NB Esk
Image order
  • Horror 2

17 minutes ago, rgreg said:

That's quite a mound. What's your plan for moving off? Hard astern and let it all float away ahead of you or is there means to remove it into the hoppers next to you?

Lol, think the plan might be to start SWALE 2 (the ex waterways tug) and let that clear it.  Think it's peaked now but still logs and drums passing under me.  At least the baseplate should be cleaned off...

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So where on the C&H is that, then?  I'm finding it difficult to recognise......

Lol, me too...it's on the last 100yds or so.  Not certain but think it ends at the wier.

Wier in the distance, there's an alloy "wharf boat" vertical against the narrow boat it was tied to, not quite sure how it's got like that, not been across yet.

IMG_0012.JPG

2 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Ah, right.  I don't normally go past there, of course.  The bridge in your most recent pic will be the one across to the Hepworth Gallery?  I certainly wouldn't like to have a mooring there!

Yes, that's right.  Believe me, last night I didn't like it either.  My other boat HATFIELD, just the other side of the bridge, looks to have a bit of a list on, she'll straighten up tho, she'll have seen a lot worse.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm happy sat here on the K&A. We are in a riverbed section at Kintbury, even that has got a bit of a wiggle on. Water is so powerful. Respect to you. Take care.

You're right, when you start to be able to distinguish between pallets, trees & oil drums passing under you, it tends to concentrate your thoughts, lol...

Bit further down but  alot of water has arrived at Castleford since last night. Main Road going out is still shut at the moment.

Pic of last night and this morning.Glad Im only next to it (inbetween the flood locks) and not on it!

20180402_155136.jpg

20180403_102509.jpg

Yep. Isnt mine though :lol: Looks like a Sheffieldish type boat- from what I could see of the bows. Obviously been there along time-love to know how it ended up there. Would guess it broke free and went over the weir and was something to do with delivering to the Allissons Mill perhaps?

7 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes indeed.  It's been there over 30 years now.  Another pic and info here

Thanks Mac. I knew someone would know on here-I shall pass that onto the chap two boats down from me too as he was interested as well.. :)

Was hoping to start a four week cruise today from Fairies Hill down the A&C, C&H and onto the Rochdale.  According to the EA website, the river levels have peaked so now hoping to make a start on Thursday but any info from folks currently on these sections would be gratefully received.

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yes indeed.  It's been there over 30 years now.  Another pic and info here

Edited to say it has been there since 1977, after reputedly being set adrift deliberately by vandals.  Info here but no pics.

Interesting to hear the story behind the barge on the wier, it's not the first time it's happened, the Tom pudding tug WEST RIDING was cut loose by vandals and spent a short time on Castleford wier.  Apparently took quite some effort to pull it back off.

2 hours ago, Nick D said:

Was hoping to start a four week cruise today from Fairies Hill down the A&C, C&H and onto the Rochdale.  According to the EA website, the river levels have peaked so now hoping to make a start on Thursday but any info from folks currently on these sections would be gratefully received.

Whilst sweating it out in York last night I was also on flood monitoring duties for the boat club. Most of the heavy water came down the Colne valley so I expect the Calder & Hebble to be OK by Thursday - providing the predicted rain isn't too heavy that is.

31 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Whilst sweating it out in York last night I was also on flood monitoring duties for the boat club. Most of the heavy water came down the Colne valley so I expect the Calder & Hebble to be OK by Thursday - providing the predicted rain isn't too heavy that is.

Forecast for overnight & into Wednesday ( coming from West to east across the Midlands and then onto Yorkshire & Lincolnshire) looks abysmal with some forecasts showing as much rain as we had on Monday.

https://windria.net/paull-gb

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Forecast for overnight & into Wednesday ( coming from West to east across the Midlands and then onto Yorkshire & Lincolnshire) looks abysmal with some forecasts showing as much rain as we had on Monday.

https://windria.net/paull-gb

Yes  I just saw that on weather radar.
Depressing isn't it.
I think I may be here in York for awhile. I  hope I don't get hit with a polite email from CaRT telling they noticed I overstayed. Suppose I could go down to Naburn but there's nowt there and it gets cut off in big floods. (ISTR Wandering Snail getting stuck there for about 3 weeks in a massive flood). I once went down to Selby in about 3 metres of flood - so big I barely got under Cawood Bridge and they had to open the railway bridge for us. Surprisingly it was relatively easy the exit into Selby Lock. Probably because the flow was quite consistent across the river.

Edited by Midnight