Stove chimney advice

APC

Featured Posts

Im just installing a new stove on our narrowboat which is fitted to the soliftec guidelines - except Im really confused re insulated flue requirements - is this something a BSS inspection now requires as I see loads of boats with single skin flue pipe? Also if I can use single skin, can I use the 'push fit' bends or does it have to be welded in one piece?

Many thanks

Andy

The BSS does not, as yet, require double skinned flues.

Other requirements for new boats, such as the RCD, may well do, I don't know, but for the BSS a properly installed single skinned chimney is fine.

If that ever changes, those of us with small ranges in back cabins of former working boats will have a problem, unless an exemption is issued!

10 hours ago, APC said:

Im just installing a new stove on our narrowboat which is fitted to the soliftec guidelines - except Im really confused re insulated flue requirements - is this something a BSS inspection now requires as I see loads of boats with single skin flue pipe? Also if I can use single skin, can I use the 'push fit' bends or does it have to be welded in one piece?

Many thanks

Andy

As others have said, single skin is fine.  It doesn't have to be welded in one piece.  The joints should be tightly fitting, with the outers facing upwards (whatever anyone else may say - I remember quite a heated (!) debate on here once) so that condensates trickle down the flue, not out of the joint.  Right-angle bends are not a good idea, as stuff can accumulate and even block the flue, and brushing is very difficult.

• Greenie 1

If using single wall flue, be aware of the distance from any walls and panelling as it can close to these as it reaches the cabin top. Where it passes through the roof, the collar will usually provide the correct insulation from combustible material. Single wall flue is a vital contribution to the overall performance of the stove as a space heater IMHO, as boat stoves are generally quite small in comparison with domestic units.

8 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Just to throw fuel on the fire, research has been done which seems to show, counterintuitively, that an insulated flue makes a stove more efficient at heating the space around it.

http://www.tigerboats.co.uk/images/forum/insulated-flues.pdf

(I have a single wall flue.)

It certainly makes interesting reading. Easily understood and logical. 

Now, who’s going to test it?

Many thanks for all the comments ! - I was hoping to be able to use a single flue as it seemed obvious to me that you get more radiant heat (interesting to read we may all be wrong tho ;) )

• I use Excel - is this a petcoke?
  • I don't have any trouble with lack of draught, if anything the opposite.
  • I don't want to have half the heat for twice as long, I want the full heat!
  • I have a single skin SS flue going straight up with a modest DS chimney.
  • Is anthracite a "smokeless fuel"?

Thick walled steel pipe suitably cut and welded to shape is the traditional way. There are canal based welders who will do this quickly and neatly and their labour will probably cost no more than the fittings that you would have needed, and no chance of leakage. The welder will try to arrange the bends so that the pipe follows the slope of the tumblehome to give a top job.

..............Dave

1 minute ago, Neil Smith said:

that's exactly what I did myself, 5mm wall I think so should last for years.

Neil

They rust and corrode from the top downwards where its cooler and water and chemicals in the fuel condenses, especially over night when the stove is shut down ticking over.

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

It certainly makes interesting reading. Easily understood and logical. 

Now, who’s going to test it?

I vote for @rusty69 who has two squirrel stoves on one boat!

9 hours ago, system 4-50 said:
  • I use Excel - is this a petcoke?
  • I don't have any trouble with lack of draught, if anything the opposite.
  • I don't want to have half the heat for twice as long, I want the full heat!
  • I have a single skin SS flue going straight up with a modest DS chimney.
  • Is anthracite a "smokeless fuel"?

No.

Good.

Why be too hot for a few hours and cold in the morning?

OK.

Yes, it is "natural" smokeless.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I vote for @rusty69 who has two squirrel stoves on one boat!

Right. In the name of research, I have wrapped one of our flues in an electric blanket and plugged it in. The other I have left as normal. 

I have lit both squirrels and added the same qty of fuel. 

I'll report back with results. Watch this space... 

ETA. For any London  facebook boaters who may be reading, i am of course joking. I don't really have two squirrels. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Right. In the name of research, I have wrapped one of our flues in an electric blanket and plugged it in. The other I have left as normal. 

ETA. For any London  facebook boaters who may be reading, i am of course joking. I don't really have two squirrels. 

Has your electric blanket caught fire yesterday? :giggles:

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Actual science! Ain't it great!

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Has your electric blanket caught fire yesterday? :giggles:

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Not yesterday, perhaps today! :)

Should have said "yet" not "yesterday". Bluddy autowrong :mellow:

Edited by cuthound
To correct autowrong yet again...

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

As promised ,an update.......

Mrs Rusty spotted the wires within the blanket glowing.It was obviously not insulated enough. Quick as a flash ,I grabbed the Brinkhaus Arctic heavy duty duvet off the bed, attaching it on top of the electric blanket and fastening it with my belt.

Of course, my trousers immediately fell down, but at least I could warm my nuts on the squirrel. I'm no Eeeeeejut!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend someone to make / weld a flue pipe for me? We are on the caldon canal near Leek in Staffordshire... thanks. 

Edited by APC

On 03/04/2018 at 13:30, Mac of Cygnet said:

Just to throw fuel on the fire, research has been done which seems to show, counterintuitively, that an insulated flue makes a stove more efficient at heating the space around it.

I've read that as well somewhere else

On 03/04/2018 at 13:30, Mac of Cygnet said:

The article contradicts itself. It says "The hotter the inside of the chimney (and the taller it is) the more vigorously the smoke and gases inside rise,
and the more vigorously fresh air is pulled in against the fuel, making it burn", yet the unisulated chimney provides initially more heat to start with.

I'm left wondering if the premature drop in heat output, for the uninsulated stove, is where its gone out!

I wonder even more about the quality of the article if it says "Stoves only work because they lose a certain about of heat into the chimney".