Is There Really a Best time to Buy or Sell a Boat?

BargeeSpud

Featured Posts

Hiya,

First off, Happy Eater to all, hope you've not seen too much snow or rain!

During my rather "damp" easter break, I've been scanning the mags including the for sales & it set me wondering whether there actually is a best time to buy or sell your boat. It used to be thought that the best deals for buying were had at the end of the cruising season when owners didn't necessarily want to incur mooring fees etc. when its not being used. Conversely, the thinking used to be that the best time to sell was just ahead of the start of the cruising season when buyers would be more eager to get their hands on a boat.

With today's less structured attitude towards cruising, with more continuous cruising, liveaborads etc., has this affected this "original thinking" when it comes to buying & selling boats? Does the type of boat have a bearing, widebeam, narrowbeam, liveaboard etc.?

What to you all think?

Alan, Wotever. Succint & to the point, love it!

Cal, you are so right, it kind of makes me think I've wasted everybody's time. Just goes to show what being stuck inside for a few days can do to your mind, mind you the Omnipotent One will probably suggest that I don't need to be stuck indoors on a crap day for my mind to get messed up!

13 hours ago, BargeeSpud said:

First off, Happy Eater to all, hope you've not seen too much snow or rain!

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No

Wot! Where have you been Alan? It's poured down here all weekend. The dogs got webbed feet. The ducks in heaven. Piss poor Easter.

Edited by Dr Bob

3 hours ago, adam1uk said:

The best time to buy a boat is when you want one.  The best time to sell a boat is when someone else wants one.

Or more accurately, the best time to buy a boat is when the boat you want comer up for sale. This is rarely when you planned, but the boat says you have no choice in the matter.

This is my experience anyway. 

There's been another rare boat on the market for a while now insistently calling me to buy it. But I'm definitely NOT caving in and buying it. Ok?

How many boats is too many? I've forgotten....

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

• 1 year later...

Hmmmm well I’m thinking I’ll leave NZ late next year, but is much for sale late in  the year? In other words is there a month or two when lots on the market as perhaps I should aim to come then. Thanks for your thoughts.

There are boats for sale all year round, some(overpriced and overvalued by sellers/brokers) may be visible for most of that year!!

Several Antipodeans I know have bought boats at the end of this Summer and won't be over until next year to enjoy them...they have basically seen the boat that they want, for sale with a reputable broker, and bitten the bullet so to speak, as the boat market is so bullish at the moment.

Moorings can be arranged from a distance, surveys can be done by reputable surveyors, remedial works can be carried out and the boat is ready for them to come and enjoy at their leisure.

There always seems to be a slight rush of boats to brokerages after the Summer holidays, but this is offset by the waiting buyers who have been starved of their ideal purchase over the Summer months ....their requirements are often noted by good brokers, and they are quick to jump when the right boats appear.

On 07/04/2018 at 00:01, Mike the Boilerman said:

How many boats is too many? I've forgotten....

N+1 where N is the number of boats currently owned

it can also be S-1, where S is the number of boats owned that would result in separation from your partner

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

N+1 where N is the number of boats currently owned

it can also be S-1, where S is the number of boats owned that would result in separation from your partner

No those values are the correct number of boats a bloke should own, not "too many"!

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

alright then, just S, unless S is what you were aiming for in the first place :)

Your thinking is broadly correct though and aligns with mine. 

Originates in the world of bicycles IIRC, but translates very well into boats. What one really needs is a woman who thinks like a bloke where quantities of boats are concerned....

Stand by for accusations of misogyny!