Hyundai HY3000SI Generator inverter

tortuga guy

Featured Posts

hello all you wonderful people, i am not a liveaboard and have my 46ft narrowboat in a marina ,but visit at least twice every ten days, i have no access to shoreline but wired for it , i had the pleasure of using shoreline last month while blacking it and finally got to fully charge my two new 110ah agm leisure batteries  via a sterling battery charger, it took around 7-8 hours for the float charge to finish but well worth it , since then i have had to recharge them running the engine, sometimes in idle which i believe isn't good for my barrus shire 1200. for those reasons and maybe using the vacuum on occasions  i have decided to buy a   Hyundai HY3000SI Generator inverter or something similar, it comes with  13 to 16 amp caravan adaptor leads , now , does that mean i can plug it in to where i would plug in the shoreline and let the sterling battery charger do the rest or would i have to charge each leisure battery individually , sorry for my ignorance but electricity is not my strong point, any info is of great help, thank you very much and happy boating.

Just treat the output socket on the generator exactly the same as the output socket on a 'marina electricity bollard'.

Just a couple of pointers :

1) At about 30kgs it is a huge heavy beast - ensure that you can lift and carry it.

2) Do not run the generator on board - lift it off and run it on the tow-path / bankside with the exhaust side well downwind and away from the boat.

3) Ensure that you store petrol in accordance with the BSS rules.

4) Ensure that you do not store the generator inside the boat.

5) Ensure that your Co alarm (you do have one don't you !!) is working.

6) It is not the quietest of generators try to run it when well away from other boaters - noise travels 'miles' over water, and a quiet 'throb' to you can be a real annoyance to others.

7) Ensure that it is chained to the boat when not in use.

8) Ensure it is chained to the boat when in use (so if noise-affected boaters throw it in the canal you can recover it)

Thank you so much for the reply, we are very considerate boaters and understand all the etiquette so no worries , also thanks for the safety tips, all understood, while we are on this subject do you think a 2000kw or 2200kw model charge my batteries in the same way and time or would a 3000 as mentioned before be better, thanks again Mr De Enfield. happy easter too.  

I don't have a gennie, but if I was going to buy one I wouldn't go higher than the 2000 one. I really would try to save a bit more and get a Honda. Just for the noise, or lack of. There's a boat near us presently who has a Kipor running for a couple of hours twice a day. It's not too bad but you can hear it. I'm led to believe that the Honda is quieter. 

10 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Thank you so much for the reply, we are very considerate boaters and understand all the etiquette so no worries , also thanks for the safety tips, all understood, while we are on this subject do you think a 2000kw or 2200kw model charge my batteries in the same way and time or would a 3000 as mentioned before be better, thanks again Mr De Enfield. happy easter too.  

Just a slight correction - 2000Kw is 2,000,000 watts (or somewhere near a power station)

You are talking about either 2Kw or 2000 watts.

It will depend on what size your battery charger is, a 50 amp battery charger will draw 70o watts, however, in the real world battery chargers are not perfectly efficiient and they have a 'power factor' of typically 66-85% (very high quality ones with electronic monitoring can be 100%)

If you work on 'worst case' scenario then take a power factor of 0.5 (50%) so you would need a 1400w supply.

What is often called a 2000w generator is often a maximum continuous rating of 1600 watts with 'peak' (seconds) at 2000w.

Check the specification before buying.

I have a 2000w (1600w continuous) Kipor which is 'carryable' and works my 50a charger with no problem - I can also run my power tools from it.

Edit to add :

It is not the generator, or even the battery charger that controls the time taken to charge the batteries, it is the batteries themselves, and as the batteries get to about 80%-85% state of charge it will be calling for a fraction of the 'amps' that the battery charger is capable of giving. You may get from 50% SoC to 80-85% SoC in an hour or so, and take a further 4 or 5 hours to get from 85% to 100% SoC. You may have the last couple of hours at something as low as 2 amps.

It all depends on the size and condition of your battery bank.

Only you can decide if it is worth the fuel to get that last 10% into the batteries every day, or better to let them 'die earlier' and get a new set.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I have a Honda Eu20i generator. It’s 21kg and I can just about lift it to move it around. Any heavier and I might be able to lift it, but wouldn’t be able to move it around much, so 30kg is way too heavy IMHO.

It charges fine wit my 80A Sterling inverter charger and my 60A Sterling Pro Charge Ultra, so definitely don’t need anything more than 2kw, (in fact I think it’s only actually 1.6kw continuous).

What is the max Amps of your Sterling charger?

Richard 10002, i am not on the boat right now and ashamed to say i do not know , i know its a long rectangle device , sorry for my ignorance right now, 

thank you nightwatch, i have considered the honda but the price doesn't justify  the amount of times i will actually use it , if you see what i mean,  rather spend that amount on other things, thank you though

2 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Alan De Enfield, after reading the edit on your kind reply , i suspect that the leisure batteries can just as adequately be charged with the generator set to eco mode ? 

Nope, that’s not what Alan meant. Particularly not in the earlier stage of charging. 

30 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Richard 10002, i am not on the boat right now and ashamed to say i do not know , i know its a long rectangle device , sorry for my ignorance right now, 

It probably doesnt matter... I cant imagine it would be more than 80A, and more likely 50A or less.... whatever the case, the chances of your needing a 3kW generator are slim to nil. 2Kw will almost certainly be more than enough and, if I didnt have a Honda, or the money to buy one, I'd buy a Kipor.

Just now, tortuga guy said:

i understand the the float time , the last few percents of charge will take hours but say to reach 80%, would running the generator on eco do it ?

I run my Honda in eco mode all the time... it runs fast during the early stages of charging when the batteries are drawing 60A or 80A, but slows down significantly as the process goes on.

2 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

i understand the the float time , the last few percents of charge will take hours but say to reach 80%, would running the generator on eco do it ?

It would switch itself out of eco for the vast majority of the charge time, depending on the size of the charger and the depth of discharge of the batteries.