C&RT Seize Pensioners Boat 27th March

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

More relevant is the likelihood of crt having to spend more than that in the next few years in legal fees, to move him on, get a bss, insurance and license for his new boat. Can we start a crowd fund for these legal fees, currently paid for by our license fees. He may of course do everything right this time.

Unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Unlikely.

Don't you think that knowing that the licensing authorities are watching him like hawks will be a powerful incentive to "do everything right"?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Don't you think that knowing that the licensing authorities are watching him like hawks will be a powerful incentive to "do everything right"?

But some people take that as a challenge and see how long they can get away with it, knowing that if they 'get caught & get a letter' it must give them 28 days notice, so they just licence it on the 27th day.

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

But surely its a case of new boat same old owner, and it is the owner that breaks the rules. I think it almost certain that CaRT have watched him like a hawk for the last year, sent loads of letters, visited, sent the welfare bods to see him etc etc etc.  He might have convinced himself that "it cant happen to me" and now that he knows that it can he might try harder, on the other hand he now knows that he has a rather good safety net as others will step in to help if he can't get round to to doing things himself.

To be less harsh, there are some people who just can't get round to doing the paperwork, but maybe his friends should have stepped in sooner to help rather than waiting for the drama and publicity of a boat getting lifted out (oops I am getting a bit cynical again).

...............Dave

1 hour ago, Athy said:

the cynic in me thinks that by doing things wrong he has avoided costs for license, BSS, Insurance (and mooring?) for a length of time and is now getting another boat at no (financial) cost. what incentive is there to do things right?

3 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

the cynic in me thinks that by doing things wrong he has avoided costs for license, BSS, Insurance (and mooring?) for a length of time and is now getting another boat at no (financial) cost. what incentive is there to do things right?

None. 

He will be in exactly the same situation in 18 months time.

No doubt it will all be CRT's fault again.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

LOL, more fool the person who has lent him a boat and the people who have given money.  Then again if he is not the registered owner with CaRT why does he need to worry about the relevant license, BSS and insurance.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

No

Rather cynical perhaps, Brian (and Rachel). If someone is convicted of drinking and driving, for example, and is suspended from the wheel for a year, that will act as a powerful incentive not to drink and drive subsequently. I see this situation similarly.

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

Rather cynical perhaps, Brian (and Rachel). If someone is convicted of drinking and driving, for example, and is suspended from the wheel for a year, that will act as a powerful incentive not to drink and drive subsequently. I see this situation similarly.

Not necessarily. Some just jump back behind the wheel despite being banned.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Completely different in all respects, all that has happened is he has lost his un licensed, un insured boat. He has not been banned from anything, fined any sum of money or given a criminal record, so an unsuitable comparison to use. Now he has been given a boat temporarily so not the registered owner, so no need to worry about the relevant paperwork.

Edited by PD1964

20 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Completely different in all respects, all that has happened is he has lost his un licensed, un insured boat. He has not been banned from anything, fined any sum of money or given a criminal record, so an unsuitable comparison to use. Now he has been given a boat temporarily so not the registered owner, so no need to worry about the relevant paperwork.

I can't agree with all that you say, but I can see your point.

I was interested to look through the list of those who have contributed towards raising the £3,000, (though of course many have remained anonymous).

The list includes people who I have exchanged messages with about CRT matters in the past, and who I have found to be intelligent, well reasoned people, and far from gullible.

So whilst I admit that I personally would not have contributed to this crowd fund, there are a lot of people who have, and some of them I recognise and have respect for.

So whatever the reasons, it is obvious that some feel very differently about this chaps circumstances from the really nasty and unpleasant views that some have expressed on here.  I guess he should count himself lucky that many people on groups like "London Boaters" have very different views from some on CWDF!  (And I acknowledge there are plenty of people like me who are on both!.....).

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Is it nasty to expect someone to licence, safety test and insure their boat on waters where it is a requirement?

If it had been a car with no tax, M.O.T, and insurance it probably would of been instantly impounded, crushed and the owner fined. Maybe CaRT need to get a bit more heavy handed especially with similar boats around the London area, the majority of paying boaters would not have a problem with CaRT being more forceful instead of wasting money going through the courts.

For saying this, does it make me a nasty person or just just someone that's pays CaRT £1100 a year in license fee, who would rather see the money being spent on the canal system rather then court cases trying to sort boat owners out like in this case?

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Athy said:

The licensing authorities  will have been watching him like hawks for some months, they even told him what would happen. They don't just turn up one day and take the boat.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Maybe he should be suspended from owning a boat for a year and suspended from the canals for the same, as it's obvious that he is not capable of maintaining a boat and paying for it to be on the canal system.

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Maybe he should be suspended from owning a boat for a year and suspended from the canals for the same, as it's obvious that he is not capable of maintaining a boat and paying to be on the canal system.

Nice idea but unfortunately :

1) C&RT do not 'licence' the boat owner and therefore cannot stop anyone owning a boat.

2) The 1995 Act states there are only three conditions that must be met to be able to licence a boat, if they are, then there can be no refusal to issue a licence.