Sorry again all but thoughts on this boat please?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Would need a new BSS also. Only a few months left. Fingers crossed. Docking and blacking and anodes must be about £900. There's a lovely floating dock adjacent to the marina at The Boatyard. They are nice people.

On 01/04/2018 at 11:43, Rickent said:

Yes, we have a Perkins 4108 and the only belt on the engine is the one that turns the alternator.

Apart from a leaky water pump which has been replaced, we have had no problems thus far.

It does sound like an old bus when it's running though.

...and you should know what an old bus sounds like. .....:D

How's your towpath, gone yet??

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

...and you should know what an old bus sounds like. .....:D

How's your towpath, gone yet??

Old buses are me.

Water has dropped slightly but it rained again all night so it won't stay down for long.

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

Old buses are me.

Water has dropped slightly but it rained again all night so it won't stay down for long.

Its all ere now. Will you stop sending it please :(

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

That would surprise me for an old enough engine.

Quite a few of the bit for a P3-144 were unobtainable in the mid 1970s - I'd be surprised if anybody held those parts in stock now.

Newer engines maybe, but for a 50 year old one?

Maybe not a 50 year old one but certainly for the 4107 and 4108 which seem to be fitted in some boats.

I believe they are more popular in lumpy boats.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

You'll not be moving much for the next week.

Some of our buddies who have tried to get from their old mooring at Denver to their new mooring at Newark Marina are holed up in Kings this Week. They battled their way up the Trent yesterday from Hull.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

You'll not be moving much for the next week.

Water point and back to my 48 hour mooring is about all :(Luckily still have a car with us so getting out and about but car is going on thursday so then more limited.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Water point and back to my 48 hour mooring is about all :(Luckily still have a car with us so getting out and about but car is going on thursday so then more limited.

Last time it was this bad they had a helicopter service at Sawley.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Last time it was this bad they had a helicopter service at Sawley.

Yes I know remember I was there. It was however considerably worse then than now. Summer is coming soon :unsure:

On 01/04/2018 at 12:51, alan_fincher said:

Floating Homes boats are from my perspective one of the most "budget" available.

I looked at the specs of a number of floating homes boats about 13-14 years ago. Was mainly put off by the roofs,on the ones I looked at, only being 3mm thick instead of the more usual 4mm. Basically my  thought process was  if they scrimped on the roof thickness then where else were savings bring made, with that in mind I never pursued my investigations any further.

I note the specs for this one do not give the roof thickness, might be worth checking

ETA

Old thread from 2011

Personally they were a budget buy and so the one your are looking at appears to be overpriced.

ETA the ETA

Just realised that I had skipped 4 pages and you had already come to conclusion I had come to i.e the floating home boat is overpriced for what it is.

Edited by reg

On 4/2/2018 at 15:05, JamesFrance said:

The name is interesting since the fitters  seem to have gone under.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2455320

Yes Top Notch closed after just a couple of years.  I was told that the owner of the company (and they had a huge shop fitting joinery company too) became very ill, and they closed both firms.

Top Notch boats always had lots of clever ideas in them, and the woodwork is very precise because it was produced by laser controlled machinery.  When new, it would probably have been £150,000 or thereabouts.

I'm trying to remember if this was a boat we met on the G&S a few years ago, and the owner had fallen out with Top Notch in quite a big way.

7 hours ago, adam1uk said:

Yes Top Notch closed after just a couple of years.  I was told that the owner of the company (and they had a huge shop fitting joinery company too) became very ill, and they closed both firms.

Top Notch boats always had lots of clever ideas in them, and the woodwork is very precise because it was produced by laser controlled machinery.  When new, it would probably have been £150,000 or thereabouts.

I'm trying to remember if this was a boat we met on the G&S a few years ago, and the owner had fallen out with Top Notch in quite a big way.

Well obviously i dont know what he would of paid for it...but if i had more to offer i would most deffinatly would of done so.......lovely boat....had 3 missed calls yesterday but fue to work coyld not pick up so not sure what the reply will be.....

10 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Not yet........

I think the silence is a message....we can only afford what we can afford tho right so either way thats our top line.:blush:

How long have you been looking for ya boat?