Sorry again all but thoughts on this boat please?

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because when you try to buy parts for an engine not sold as a marine engine, the first and only question will be “what is the vehicle registration number?”

And Perkins in Peterborough are most unlikely to sell parts directly to the public. 

I worked in Perkins for years and never made any parts for obsolete engines. At the end of any production run a couple of thousand parts were produced for stock and when they run out you've had it. Unless they have a spare parts plant I didn't know about in case any millionairs needed a bit for an old engine.

13 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Nice boat, good builder, but overpriced.

There are two others at ABC that would tempt me, were I in the market for a boat.

That boats is easily its money......Honestly the pics do no justice at all.... the internal quality finish is perfik!!! its like stepping inside a brand new boat...so cleverly designed and the absolute muts nuts...the battery setup alone is impressive....its a chunk over budget and if we buy it then we are looking at 2 years before we can cruise to pay it all off.... i have 65k cash thats it.

Edited by Matt&Jo

51 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

So I'm not going loopy, can I, me, ask opinions on this one. Did I mention? I quite like this one. 

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/bailedout/

I like:

1.Quality of fit out

2.Headroom

I dislike.

1.Poor advert, lacking in engine photos

2.Lack of fixed cupboards in saloon

3.Positioning of woodburner

4.Steep steps/small doors

5.Lack of blacking in nearly 4 years (unless it has been epoxied)

6.Steering seats

7.Price.

ETA

8.No mention of galvanic protection

9.No mention of alternator(s) specs.

10.BSC expires soon.

11.Not sure on this one, but engine hours/engine service schedule worth checking.

Edited by rusty69

29 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

So I'm not going loopy, can I, me, ask opinions on this one. Did I mention? I quite like this one. 

http://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/bailedout/

I can't quite believe how little air gap there is between side of the stove and the linings, or the back of the stove and the kitchen units.

Even if there is masses of fireproof board involved, those adjacent surfaces will get very hot indeed, surely.

Also, many of these modern boats look so anonymous, to my eye.

EDIT: As virtually all narrow boats these days have a diesel engine, wouldn't it be worth all brokerage staff learning to spell "diesel"?

34 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Parts4engines have all the Perkins spares one could possibly need.

That would surprise me for an old enough engine.

Quite a few of the bit for a P3-144 were unobtainable in the mid 1970s - I'd be surprised if anybody held those parts in stock now.

Newer engines maybe, but for a 50 year old one?

Edited by alan_fincher

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I like:

1.Quality of fit out

2.Headroom

I dislike.

6.Steering seats

7.Price.

Dislikes: Those kitchen tiles!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

That boats is easily its money......Honestly the pics do no justice at all.... the internal quality finish is perfik!!! its like stepping inside a brand new boat...so cleverly designed and the absolute muts nuts...the battery setup alone is impressive....its a chunk over budget and if we buy it then we are looking at 2 years before we can cruise to pay it all off.... i have 65k cash thats it.

We had a boat by the same builder, and it was lovely in many ways, but the engine was shoe-horned in, and the water tank was tiny. Our previous boat had a huge water tank, which was really useful.

The two trads with engine rooms at ABC would tempt me more. Churnet, though I don’t know the builder, and Louisa May, Dennis Cooper built fabulous boats. Age is much less important than quality, IMO.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I like:

1.Quality of fit out

2.Headroom

I dislike.

6.Steering seats

7.Price.

I'm probably outnumbered on this, but don't think it's that overpriced 

1 minute ago, Nick D said:

I'm probably outnumbered on this, but don't think it's that overpriced 

If you actualy see it then you wont be suprised why its worth this money....its a special boat IMHO.... even down to the portholes for example have sliding inbuilt blinds to them. The bathroom wall fully opens to turn it into a walkthrough effectivley... there is a fake wall inbetween the engine room and the bedroom that has a tall library style bookshelf behind it....very very clever

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Possibly no, possibly yes, but do you want a boat whose name implies that it needs to be bailed dry?

The fitterouterer of Nightwatch ceased to trade not long after producing Nightwatch. The fitterouterer of Bailedout may have gone out of business now but this boat was fitted out in 2014. Perhaps a last ditch attempt to prove they fit out to high standards.

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:
6 minutes ago, Nick D said:

If you actualy see it then you wont be suprised why its worth this money.

If it is worth the money,then it will sell quickly.If not to you, then someone else.

Pictures often do not convey an accurate picture of a boat, that's why its always worth viewing.

I guess you already know both of these things:)

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

If you actualy see it then you wont be suprised why its worth this money....its a special boat IMHO.... even down to the portholes for example have sliding inbuilt blinds to them. The bathroom wall fully opens to turn it into a walkthrough effectivley... there is a fake wall inbetween the engine room and the bedroom that has a tall library style bookshelf behind it....very very clever

Go on then, make an offer!

7 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Glad you like it. I do and I haven't seen it in the flesh. I'm not glad that you're not going to buy it. Put in a cheeky cheeky offer, hold you're breath and see what happens. We got Nightwatch with nearly 20% off the asking. The seller may be anxious to sell. For whatever reason. 

Edited by Nightwatch

3 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Go on then, make an offer!

Im about 15k short of the mark unfortunatly......but anyone reading this looking for an 80k boat....thats the 1 i promise you she is beautifully built and finished even better from a in mu opinion top 3 hull builder too.

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Im about 15k short of the mark unfortunatly......but anyone reading this looking for an 80k boat....thats the 1 i promise you she is beautifully built and finished even better from a in mu opinion top 3 hull builder too.

You've got nowt to lose offering 15K less.If it doesn't sell in a few weeks at that price,they may make contact with you. What have you got to lose.

Edited by rusty69

26 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Possibly no, possibly yes, but do you want a boat whose name implies that it needs to be bailed dry?

I thought that perhaps the seller was a barrister or a judge and that the boat's name was a play on words with different meanings of bail.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought that perhaps the seller was a barrister or a judge and that the boat's name was a play on words with different meanings of bail.

Apparantly an older couples boat and the reason for sale is that the gent has a very bad back and can no longer live the canal life.

9 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Apparantly an older couples boat and the reason for sale is that the gent has a very bad back and can no longer live the canal life.

They need shut of it asap me reckons. Nudge nudge!!

I'm going to shut up now, well in a minute.

If I was closer to the 'asking' price than I actually am, I would be chomping at the bit. 

Thats it, "that's all I have to say on the matter".

Edited by Nightwatch

We put in the offer there was laughing and a we will put it forward..... but let me tell ya its not likely....:D wish i had more to offer but ya never know!!!! (Just saying that cuz i know it will be a no)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Matt&Jo said:

We put in the offer there was laughing and a we will put it forward..... but let me tell ya its not likely....:D wish i had more to offer but ya never know!!!! (Just saying that cuz i know it will be a no)

You never know it's a no until you get a no. I didn't stay quiet for long did I.