Crick Boat Show

Traveller

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

If the thought of a thunder shower puts you off visiting a show with large amounts of undercover displays, I don't recommend boating in England for you ?.

I don't mind the rain myself but was going with someone else but don't really expect them to park on a muddy car park.

59 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I agree with him, went last year and left after a couple of hours, full of stalls selling stuff you can cheaper online and a beer tent with not enough seats.

....so, after two hours in the beer tent you were no longer able to stand?

Oddly enough, I've always found the boats the most interesting feature of the show - though last year they were somewhat samey.

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Three day tickets? 1 hr would be 60 mins too long

I agree. The tent stands you wonder about through sell mainly candy floss, chinese food, beefburgers, jewellery, clothes, general tat etc nothing to do with boating, and far outnumber the stands which are boating oriented. So on that front Crick is a monumental disappointment these days.

On the other hand if you want . new boat built, all the major builders seem to be there with boats for you to look through. But the queues to view the boats are MASSIVE so booking a timed appointment with each builder is essential really. 

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

....so, after two hours in the beer tent you were no longer able to stand?

Oddly enough, I've always found the boats the most interesting feature of the show - though last year they were somewhat samey.

no, after an hour of walking around looking at the stalls, i went to the beer tent, had a couple of pints then decided as the sun was shining and i had colder, cheaper ale on the boat, i would bugger off cruising, so i did...

• Happy 1

I agree there are a lot of non boating stands selling non boating stuff but if there wasn’t swmbo wouldn’t be interested and I wouldn’t be able to go. 

Since ill I’ll be driving 60 minutes in the beer tent is 59 mins 59 seconds too long 

i cant understand why more of the boating stands don’t actually have stuff for sale 

10 hours ago, Athy said:

Have you ever been, or are you in the "I've not tried it, so I don't like it" corner?

Yep moored by crack hill many times, but not during rally. Only do oddball rallies after being banned from national rally for daring to tow butty through , upsetting the shiny boat speed kings. That was in 1985 can only imagine now worse.

Besides we have a RoyceRoyce narrowboat, not a skoda like josher. It has a toilet in the engine hole, electric light stuff off a car battery. A range to heat and cook on. It even has an electric commencement device.

cant see how progress can be made from that , so stands have no attraction and I hate popcorn and abba. 

• Greenie 1

On 31/03/2018 at 19:46, 13-10 said:

Is the Crick show something that could be done in a day or is it worth buying the 3 day ticket

We did the first show it must be near on twenty years ago now and all I can say is get the 3 day ticket if you like getting wet a lot :D I think it moved there from Braunston which we have also done but I have been on the G and T tonight so could be way off the mark. Always remember reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol ?

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

If you've got everything, can you let us know where the drivers are on your Apple Mac?

You don't need to know where the drivers are on your Apple Mac cos your Apple Mac knows and that's all you need to know. ?

That empty box is a wink, Rusty.  ;)

Hmm I am in rugby to watch the match tomorrow night, but seen an advert for show, so hired a car for three days, cos long w/e,seemed a good idea not so sure now looking at these reviews, but only 20 minutes away so will give it a go, but will miss the bands. Will just get a day ticket looking at your views. 

12 minutes ago, Timx said:

Hmm I am in rugby to watch the match tomorrow night, but seen an advert for show, so hired a car for three days, cos long w/e,seemed a good idea not so sure now looking at these reviews, but only 20 minutes away so will give it a go, but will miss the bands. Will just get a day ticket looking at your views. 

I thought the match was in Kiev tomorrow night?

Going on the last day worked out well, not so crowded and no problem getting on all the boats I wanted to look at, though would have liked a little more time to view second-hand boats. Learned quite a bit too. Still uncertain on loos, engines, stoves and power systems, so quite a lot still. I wonder if I'm being unreasonably prejudiced against bus windows. I love portholes but wonder if the lower seals are prone to perishing. I thought the Braidbar boat was a worthy "best in show" winner, but liked Fernwood, Smithwood and Heyford Fields boats too. Very impressed by the Mel Davies shell in terms of strength and quality but for my position - leisure cruising and fairly new to the canals - it might be more than I need just now. A good second-hand boat could be the way to go, with a view to having something new in two or three years if I take to it. On the other hand, not getting any younger, it's tempting not to compromise and to go for exactly what I want (when I decide just what that is!).  

9 minutes ago, Earthwatcher said:

Going on the last day worked out well, not so crowded and no problem getting on all the boats I wanted to look at, though would have liked a little more time to view second-hand boats. Learned quite a bit too. Still uncertain on loos, engines, stoves and power systems, so quite a lot still. I wonder if I'm being unreasonably prejudiced against bus windows. I love portholes but wonder if the lower seals are prone to perishing. I thought the Braidbar boat was a worthy "best in show" winner, but liked Fernwood, Smithwood and Heyford Fields boats too. Very impressed by the Mel Davies shell in terms of strength and quality but for my position - leisure cruising and fairly new to the canals - it might be more than I need just now. A good second-hand boat could be the way to go, with a view to having something new in two or three years if I take to it. On the other hand, not getting any younger, it's tempting not to compromise and to go for exactly what I want (when I decide just what that is!).  

You will never know exactly what you want / need until you get to your 10th boat - by that time technology will have changed and there will be new things you want / need.

Never get confused between 'want' & 'need', you'll always want more that you actually need (but when owning a boat loadsa-money is always both wanted & needed)