Crick Boat Show

Traveller

Featured Posts

You may want to try Bed & Breakfast - possibly better value for money?  If you broaden your search to include West Haddon you will find a number of farmer (or farmer's wife) run places.  Much nicer than Holiday Inn or Travelodge.  Tripadvisor lists them.... 

If they don't do half board then there is hot food at the show (limited to your usual mobile catering fayre) or in Crick village.

I've never found one day enough, especially if shopping or fact-finding for anything. And there's Thin Lizzy tribute band on Sat night and Abba tribute on Sunday night. If you want to view some of the top boat builders boats, then get in touch with them in advance to book a time slot. Add a massive choice of ale and ciders and you'll want to stay!

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Last two were red hot!!!

That's cos I didn't go. When I go I get so wet I could quench the very sun itself! :(

3 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

I've never found one day enough, especially if shopping or fact-finding for anything. And there's Thin Lizzy tribute band on Sat night and Abba tribute on Sunday night. If you want to view some of the top boat builders boats, then get in touch with them in advance to book a time slot. Add a massive choice of ale and ciders and you'll want to stay!

But, actually, I agree there's much to merit a visit.  I just wish I could time mine better!

Edited by Sea Dog
Autocorrect bolleaux

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Planning to get over to Crick on Monday with a view to seeing as much as I can during a day, while concentrating on builders and fitters. Any advice on the best way to approach it? Who are the must see builders? Also any recommendations for fitters I need to talk to? I have one or two in mind but I'm keen to get as much out of the day as possible. Only realised that I could get there this morning so have been unable to do much useful forward planning. PS. I go to the Monaco show most years and hate it, but I'm hoping Crick will be a little more friendly with less elbowing. 

1 minute ago, Earthwatcher said:

Planning to get over to Crick on Monday with a view to seeing as much as I can during a day, while concentrating on builders and fitters. Any advice on the best way to approach it? Who are the must see builders? Also any recommendations for fitters I need to talk to? I have one or two in mind but I'm keen to get as much out of the day as possible. Only realised that I could get there this morning so have been unable to do much useful forward planning. PS. I go to the Monaco show most years and hate it, but I'm hoping Crick will be a little more friendly with less elbowing. 

I think you usually need to have an appointment to see the builders with boats on show, the popular ones at least.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

I think you usually need to have an appointment to see the builders with boats on show, the popular ones at least.

Just like Monaco then, and why I hate it. Surely if I go up to a builder and say I'm seriously looking for a boat, they're not going to dismiss me? And if they do, I guess that works like self-selection. Anyways, supposing I could try for an appointment? Any recommendations?

20 minutes ago, Earthwatcher said:

Just like Monaco then, and why I hate it. Surely if I go up to a builder and say I'm seriously looking for a boat, they're not going to dismiss me? And if they do, I guess that works like self-selection. Anyways, supposing I could try for an appointment? Any recommendations?

The trouble is that everyone turns up and claims to be serious.  That’s why the really serious people phone up the builders in advance and book in.

However, Monday can often be a bit quieter on the bookings front, so it’s still worth phoning tomorrow, especially if they have mobile numbers on their websites.  Some builders also have appointments during most of the day, but ‘freeflow’ for the last couple of hours.  It’s probably not particularly useful to give recommendations about who to see, without knowing what you want and what budget you’ve got.

I want a really good quality boat, something like this one. I checked out Oakcraft, that did much of the interior, but it seems to have ceased trading. That, incidentally, is the problem with much of the builders thread (before it swung off topic). Some of the yards and names there are out of date, but I have pulled some useful stuff from it. I'm not looking to cut corners and I understand all the stuff about time wasters and people going back for add ons and quibbling on price after doing a deal. I'm seeking to do this thing properly but Crick only happens once a year. If I can find a cracking bargain at £50,000 I'd be interested. If it's something of real quality, costing much more, like Theodoric, I'd also be interested. I'm not steeped enough in canals to take on anything vintage but if I can find something that has the right feel to it, or create my own from new, with a good builder and well recommended fitter, I'll go with them. I'm looking probably at a 57ft semi-trad, anything from 20 years old (if well looked after) to new. I'll take the "freelow" advice, that's good  and just drop a few cards otherwise to follow up later. I'm not in the business of "making claims to be serious" and I'll tour the yards when I've paired down a shortlist. I'm just trying to get the absolute most from a very short notice decision to go to Crick. If I phone tomorrow (difficult as I'm fishing) who should I phone?

Jim Birch (who was Oakcraft) builds under his own name now, and will be at Crick this year. You won’t need to book with him, just turn up.

If you want a properly bespoke boat you’re probably going to be looking at £120,000 plus.  Some builders might be able to do it for less, such as Aintree who build their own shells, and JD Narrowboats.  MGM are usually good value, not sure if they’re there this year.  The big names that you’ll probably need to book for include Finesse, Braidbar, Bourne, Aqua Narrowboats.  Boating Leisure Services will have a nice 60ft that’s for sale; Stem to Stern are due to have a spec boat there that will probably also be for sale.  Stoke Boats are usually worth a look.  New and Used May have an off the shelf Aqualine or similar, among their many wide beams.  

3 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

Jim Birch (who was Oakcraft) builds under his own name now, and will be at Crick this year. You won’t need to book with him, just turn up.

If you want a properly bespoke boat you’re probably going to be looking at £120,000 plus.  Some builders might be able to do it for less, such as Aintree who build their own shells, and JD Narrowboats.  MGM are usually good value, not sure if they’re there this year.  The big names that you’ll probably need to book for include Finesse, Braidbar, Bourne, Aqua Narrowboats.  Boating Leisure Services will have a nice 60ft that’s for sale; Stem to Stern are due to have a spec boat there that will probably also be for sale.  Stoke Boats are usually worth a look.  New and Used May have an off the shelf Aqualine or similar, among their many wide beams.  

Top stuff, thank you. I'm in touch with Jim Birch so that's good news and Tim Tyler just told me to show up at the Finesse stand. I'm ruling out wide beam but getting more interested in trads after seeing what can be done with that extra space at the back. But I'm not looking to live on a boat, nor do I think I'll need three tellies (or any), or a dishwasher, just want something a bit more bespoke.

Braidbar usually have a free hour at the end of the day, just turn up and queue, and you can talk to the folk in the marquee at any time. I agree that Monday will almost certainly have slots left if you ring tomorrow, as most of the serious prospects do Saturday then come back on Sunday if they are thinking of putting the builder on the shortlist. I imagine most of the other quality builders/fitters have the same experience.

Have fun, anyway!

4 hours ago, thomask130 said:

Brought tickets for Sunday ages ago but apparently we got heavy thunder showers so might give it a miss, also brought a ticket to have a quick boat handling course but i assume that will be cancel anyway.

Never mind

If the thought of a thunder shower puts you off visiting a show with large amounts of undercover displays, I don't recommend boating in England for you ?.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, thomask130 said:

Brought tickets for Sunday ages ago but apparently we got heavy thunder showers so might give it a miss, also brought a ticket to have a quick boat handling course but i assume that will be cancel anyway.

Never mind

Aye, it's going to pour down. Mrsmelly's personal cloud will expand this weekend.

12 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Three day tickets? 1 hr would be 60 mins too long

Have you ever been, or are you in the "I've not tried it, so I don't like it" corner?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Have you ever been, or are you in the "I've not tried it, so I don't like it" corner?

I agree with him, went last year and left after a couple of hours, full of stalls selling stuff you can cheaper online and a beer tent with not enough seats.