SR2 External Oil leak

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

After a disastrous leak about five years ago, I had the engine rebuilt, so I'm slightly paranoid over oil leaks.

What I'm getting is just a weep of oil where the arrow shows, it seems to be worse when the engine's cold and then more or less stops as it warms up. Even after a forrtnight's cruising I can't really detect any difference in the overall oil level and every engineer I've mentioned it to tells me it's fairly normal for a Lister and not to worry about it.  The guy who rebuilt it says the fan blows through a bit of oil anyway, which, to be honest, seemed fairly unlikely to me, but what do I know?

I've checked all the obvious bolts for tightness.

Lister Sr2 oil leak.jpg

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Even after a forrtnight's cruising I can't really detect any difference in the overall oil level

I suggest you're twice shy through having been bitten once.

If you're pointing to the ledge that is just below the level of the cylinder head then you may have a weep on the gasket that the rocker cover on that cylinder clamps down onto.

See if you can gently tighten down the two nuts on the top (either side of the word Lister) Or take the rocker cover off and check the gasket is straight and not kinked or awkwardly trapped.  It's a very floppy gasket and needs to be true.

Unfortunately, that's where several oil leaks will deposit the oil. Rocker cover gaskets, head studs, cylinder base, piston rings  and crankshaft oil seal for instance

I'd ignore it if I were you

Richard

• Greenie 1