irregular gunwales?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Noticed this boat recently which I believe is a Les Allen. Would any of you know if the somewhat irregular gunwales and wavy cabin sides are the norm for a Les Allen hull? I am aware that wavy cabin's can be the result of more frequent framing/welding and therefore strength but this much?

std gunwale.jpg

port gunwale.jpg

port gunwale wide.jpg

1 minute ago, Markinaboat said:

Noticed this boat recently which I believe is a Les Allen. Would any of you know if the somewhat irregular gunwales and wavy cabin sides are the norm for a Les Allen hull? I am aware that wavy cabin's can be the result of more frequent framing/welding and therefore strength but this much?

std gunwale.jpg

port gunwale.jpg

port gunwale wide.jpg

Not on ours, but ours does have bus type windows. 

I would very much doubt it is an Allen boat  I have seen a good number of their builds & my cousin had one & I cannot remember seeing any wavy plating on either hull or topsides the welding of the top guard to the edge of the hull/gunwale doesn't appear to be up to Allen's standard The boats name/C&RT # may give an idea of the builder There is an Allen boat for sale on the Duck "Troubador " & the steel work on that looks more to Allen's workmanship & looks a totally different finish to the boat in this thread

Edited by X Alan W

15 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

the two forward windows are bus type but still wavy inbetween.

Missed that bit.

A picture of the stern would help identify it as an Allen boat or not if you have one. 

ETA. The other boat i have a interest in has wavy cabin sides, but not quite to that extent. 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I would very much doubt it is an Allen boat  I have seen a good number of their builds & my cousin had one & I cannot remember seeing any wavy plating on either hull or topsides the welding of the top guard to the edge of the hull/gunwale doesn't appear to be up to Allen's standard The boats name/C&RT # may give an idea of the builder

Thanks for the input.

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Missed that bit.

A picture of the stern would help identify it as an Allen boat or not if you have one. 

ETA. The other boat i have a interest in has wavy cabin sides, but not quite to that extent. 

not a very good pic but may help the aficionados.

stern.jpg

For comparison, I've just popped out and taken a pic of my own gunnel, which, although not perfect is far ahead of the one pictured.  Point being, my boat is self built and a one off, I find it hard to believe the one pictured is a Les Allen (although the stern pic above is very Allen like).

I've seen photos of Allen boats in build, and although some of the methods may have been a little "rough and ready" the finished product was always good quality.  

image.jpeg

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

For comparison, I've just popped out and taken a pic of my own gunnel, which, although not perfect is far ahead of the one pictured.  Point being, my boat is self built and a one off, I find it hard to believe the one pictured is a Les Allen (although the stern pic above is very Allen like).

I've seen photos of Allen boats in build, and although some of the methods may have been a little "rough and ready" the finished product was always good quality.  

image.jpeg

Looks lovely!

• Happy 1

Generally gunwales are made from long straight strips of flat sheet folded to form a large angled section. So apart from correct alignment of the joints of long sections it is nearly impossible to get a wavy edge.

The picture shows what looks like a gunwale of horizontal strips abutting vertical edges  - and welded where they touch, and what with strips not being perfectly flat to start with,  and then thermal buckling when welding, it is nearly impossible not to get a wavy edge.

It is typical of a Springer boat construction - albeit Springers usually have an shallow inverted 'V' roof - and a bow wave breaker.

I have an Allen boat. Ths cabin sides are a little bit wavy in places but the gunwales are dead straight. Having watched mine being built, and the technique they used to get the hull sides straight, I'd be surprised if yours actually is an Allen, unless it's been very badly mistreated.

• Happy 1

48 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I have an Allen boat. Ths cabin sides are a little bit wavy in places but the gunwales are dead straight. Having watched mine being built, and the technique they used to get the hull sides straight, I'd be surprised if yours actually is an Allen, unless it's been very badly mistreated.

Do you know? That did cross my mind, I'm just a bit doubtful, could be a combination of a fairly hard life and mediocre build.  I'm wondering if because that stern looks like an Allen, it's "become" one, over the years.

6 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Do you know? That did cross my mind, I'm just a bit doubtful, could be a combination of a fairly hard life and mediocre build.  I'm wondering if because that stern looks like an Allen, it's "become" one, over the years.

Just to save this taking the wrong route and in appreciation of all of your input/efforts, the boat is most definitely an Allen (mid 90's).

Edited by Markinaboat

Just now, Markinaboat said:

What's the general consensus of it being off-putting for someone looking for a quality Allen if the boat as a whole was rather special?

Depends in what way it is special. It would put me off quite a bit I must admit.

Isn't a lot of what is going on here "long lens" effect?  It is very foreshortened in the picture surely?

Does it really look like that to the naked eye, if not viewed through a camera lens?