Chimney up or down on south Oxford?

Dave123

Featured Posts

Ok as no-one seems to grasp the potential restriction caused by Nell Bridge, here is a photo of it in normal conditions:

IMG_0420_thumb.jpg?imgmax=800

The water under it is a short River Cherwell section, prone to rising a couple of feet in rainy weather making the bridge impassable for a narrowboat. 

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

If your chimney is on the left (conventional side) and you are heading from top of marston doles to banbury there are angled bridges where you are likely to take off a chimney. Heading north it is less likely but some of the lift bridges are tightin long chimneys. We have a short chimney on our forward cabin because the ejit who fitted it out put the chimney on the wrong side.

Our chimney is on the right, and not managed to take if off on the South Oxford, or any other canal for that matter, yet!  Is it a tall one though.

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I was taught to pass chimney to chimney... because narrowboats  always have their chimneys on the left. 

I presume that you have lots of collisions then, as that is twadle :D

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

If it's cold/wet enough that you need a fire on, and I expect it is, then you probably need a chimney to get enough draw. I can't remember any especially low bridges on the South Oxford (but beware Osney bridge on the Thames in Oxford if you go that far), but the answer is to be ready to take a chimney down in a hurry if need be. This means having a damp rag handy so you can grab it without burning your hands, and depending on the chimney's location having a crew member available who knows what to do.

Always use a dry cloth to grasp hot metal - an oven glove or cloth is good. A damp cloth  transmits the heat quickly and it scalds.  

11 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

Always use a dry cloth to grasp hot metal - an oven glove or cloth is good. A damp cloth  transmits the heat quickly and it scalds.  

This is why some working narrow boats, by no means all, had the "lambs tails" on the chimney. It could be lifted off the collar by using the handle near the base and the tails near the top.

001biga.jpg

Edited by Ray T

If thats twaddle then you show me one set of plans for a narrowboat that has the chimney on the right. i was taught at 14 and taught to pass chimney side. Thats what i tell people who i allow to steer my boat. The chimney is on that side to fit through tunnels centre channel and avoid obstruction its a historic fact.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

If thats twaddle then you show me one set of plans for a narrowboat that has the chimney on the right. i was taught at 14 and taught to pass chimney side. Thats what i tell people who i allow to steer my boat. The chimney is on that side to fit through tunnels centre channel and avoid obstruction its a historic fact.

It may have been true when you were 14 but its not today. people put the stove and hence chimney where it doesn't clash with the TV

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It may have been true when you were 14 but its not today. people put the stove and hence chimney where it doesn't clash with the TV

...but my stove is always on at the same time as TV except in the summer....which isn't yet.

New  practices happen  in the face  of traditional knowledge thats why mistakes get made. Hospital bourne infections occur because nurses dont wash their hands between patients any more ,  they stopped teaching them when became a degree course, yet cleanliness was a cornerstone of clinical practice . ( and is now being retaught as new knowledge)

• Greenie 1

three boats up to now 2 had chimney on the right. Sensibly i have a cruising chimney which is short and a mooring chimney for winter which amazingly is long and would hit most bridges.

On 31/03/2018 at 23:39, roland elsdon said:

New  practices happen  in the face  of traditional knowledge thats why mistakes get made. Hospital bourne infections occur because nurses dont wash their hands between patients any more ,  they stopped teaching them when became a degree course, yet cleanliness was a cornerstone of clinical practice . ( and is now being retaught as new knowledge)

Not true...its because of overuse of antibiotics 

Um if you dont get the infection in the first place because hygiene practices prevent cross contamination of bacteria from one patent to the next,  then you dont need anti biotics. However the routine administration of anti biotics as a precautionary measure can indeed cause resistance.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Um if you dont get the infection in the first place because hygiene practices prevent cross contamination of bacteria from one patent to the next,  then you dont need anti biotics. However the routine administration of anti biotics as a precautionary measure can indeed cause resistance.

Correct prevention is better than cure

In a hospital ward for 18days Dried Blood on bed curtains, Floors only dusted, Spilt urine mopped up with a towel which was then thrown into laundry basket.

But the idea nurses are not taught to wash hands is not true!

Back on thread (slightly) can confirm Napton elsan is working again despite crt stoppage notice to the contrary (no signs here) :)

7 hours ago, Dave123 said:

But the idea nurses are not taught to wash hands is not true!

Back on thread (slightly) can confirm Napton elsan is working again despite crt stoppage notice to the contrary (no signs here) :)

And a man turned up to mend the one at Anderton while we were taking water, I reported it bust on 28 February