Is this really how a bowthruster is fitted?

Featured Posts

Having cut an access hatch to get at my bowthruster (it must have been fitted before the deck!)  I am a bit concerned at what is in there.  Having removed the motor, the flange it bolts to appears to be held on to the tube with plastic and not much else.  Is this normal?

The view from the top shows the only bolts involved in the process

I was expecting to find that the flange was welded to the pipe!

On top of this there is no bulkhead behind the tube either.  One solution is to weld the tube closed  but I would like to keep the thruster since it is already there

Advice welcome

IMG_20180330_1327026.jpg

IMG_20180330_1326504.jpg

It looks to me like those two shiny hex screws at the bottom screw the top flange to the internal flange, sandwiching the tube between them, with plenty of gunk to ensure a water tight seal. 

Don’t undo them while in the water!

Get a bulkhead welded in too :)

As above. It looks like the vetus unit on mine. the two stainless cap screws go through the motor stool, the wall of the tube and into the bronze hub carrying the impeller inside the tube. Don't undo them unless your in dock and have access to the tube to 're- make the joint once you disturbed it. It's not the most robust mounting arrangement but seems to work ok. If it's not leaking leave well alone. Again, A coffer dam or a full height bulkhead is a good idea should the worst happen.

2 hours ago, Iain_S said:

As Wotever says. The flange has to be removable to get at the blades, but not in the water.

I'm replaced the prop on our Vetus one when dry docked next but instructions show just removing 2 screws from front of prop, remove the 2 plastic shells that retain the drive pin and remove the prop. Hope they are right and not you. 

Edited by pearley

A bit of googling and that is just how they are.  Have spent the rest of the afternoon welding in a bulkhead hopefully will finish tomorrow.  I did want to remove the prop to clean the tube properly but I am a bit nervous about breaking the seal, if it ain't broke etc

If you did pull the prop assembly out it looks like a bit of a game to get it back in again though

4 hours ago, pearley said:

I'm replaced the prop on our Vetus one when dry docked next but instructions show just removing 2 screws from front of prop, remove the 2 plastic shells that retain the drive pin and remove the prop. Hope they are right and not you. 

How long is your bowthruster tube, and how long is your arm? (I doubt you'd be able to get more than one up the tube)

12 hours ago, Iain_S said:

How long is your bowthruster tube, and how long is your arm? (I doubt you'd be able to get more than one up the tube)

The tube does have a weed hatch but even so it will be one arm only, with my wife looking though the tube from outside to guide me. Mind you, every time we're dry rocked and I look up the tube I wonder why the blade isn't on the shortest side. 

Edited by pearley