Engine removal.

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

There are also hydraulic lifts available, though you have to supply your own gantry.

lock.jpg.ea84f851b1bfb181b9b2f18703778626.jpg

Would that not be 'aquaolic' rather than 'hydraulic' ?

Fill lock and enter.

Loosen all engine mounts, electrics, fuel, prop etc.

Tie rope from engine lifting eye to a girder across the lock walls

Open bottom paddles, as boat drops away, engine is extracted from the boat.

Bow-haul boat out of lock, lift engine onto wheelbarrow and away you go.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would that not be 'aquaolic' rather than 'hydraulic' ?

Fill lock and enter.

Loosen all engine mounts, electrics, fuel, prop etc.

Tie rope from engine lifting eye to a girder across the lock walls

Open bottom paddles, as boat drops away, engine is extracted from the boat.

Bow-haul boat out of lock, lift engine onto wheelbarrow and away you go.

I suspect that is the hard bit!

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suspect that is the hard bit!

Certainly 'not easy' but most Nb engines are not that heavy - even my 4-cylinder Lister can be lifted by three blokes (just over 400lbs), a 3 cylinder Yanmar is around 270 - 280 lbs.

Drags, slides and sledges, all avoid doing a straight-lift.

A Fork-Truck at Telehandler certainly make it much easier.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt this would work in reality. When I dismantle a piece of engineering I remember and recognise each and every single part. A few extra bits would be sussed and rejected instantly. 

Or mistaken for pocket screws ...

10 hours ago, NbPlod said:

Simple question. Can I take the engine out of my boat while it's still in the water?

Yes it can be done as long  as stated earlier on that you leave the prop  in place. A gantry of scaff poles over the pit ( even timber gantry ) and lift away with a small block n tackle or them 12v power winches for about £60.

I enjoy these kind of things :)

I once saw a boater erect a scaffold tripod on shore and a scaff pole connected to a scaff bipod on his nb. Lifted engine with chain hoist which was fixed to pole with a loop of chain, engine and hoist was then slid along pole and lowered into w/barrow. It was touch and go with pole bending, double pole would have been better. 

9 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

That will get it out of the boat, but how do you get it on to the bank?

I dropped it on a steel plate placed over the cruiser deck. Then manhandled it into a small trailer on the bank and away it went.

As said earlier, they are not that heavy really for 3 or 4 people to move. Its the getting them out of the hole they are in that's tough. 

Here we go, i found a pic of when i did mine, will work the same as on a boat but the smaller gantry on the boat. then drag/lift the engine on land. No hard to do. as they say no rocket science

frame001_zps981401d8.jpg

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I always carry an old valve spring and a small nut, both with a little patina about them, for just such an occasion.  Slyly drop them on the tarpaulin with the other bits as you distract the owner with a cheery "good morning", and enjoy an intermittent evil chuckle for quite a few days to come.  :D

One of the "gamesmanship" ideas when I used to race Fireball sailing dinghy's was to casually drop a used self tapping screw into the bottom of an opponents boat. The theory being he would be distracted and not concentrate on the race. :captain:

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

One of the "gamesmanship" ideas when I used to race Fireball sailing dinghy's was to casually drop a used self tapping screw into the bottom of an opponents boat. The theory being he would be distracted and not concentrate on the race. :captain:

I used to have a fireball. What a fantastic boat!

In my fireball career I had 4 boats:

K 3528 a wooden Chippendale; K 9400 again wooden built by Plycraft and K 11464 and K 12854 both GRP, Rondar.

I then met "a woman" and somehow my life went in a different direction! The guy crewing was my now late brother in law. I think he had something to do with it.

Edited by Ray T

14 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I then met "a woman" and somehow my life went in a different direction!

Funny that. Same happened to me and my Fireball. Mrs Rusty sold it.Not sure I even saw the money.

Still, got another dinghy now in the form of a Europe.

ETA. Probably have to sell that after brexit, or rename it.

Edited by rusty69

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

One like this?

fireball-xl5-343x258.jpg

Ah, that takes me back! Awesome, wasn't it?  And so much of it now everyday 21st century life! I've even called my transparent robot Robert!  And that reminds me - I need to tax the hover scooter.  Ok, perhaps a plexiglass cockpit might not be viable due to all the space junk we've sown, but nearly everything else.  I'm sure Nazi scientists were pleased to see XL5 putting the V1 launching system to good use too.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some time ago there was a member of the forum (before he was banned and went to the other side) who had taken his engine apart (I think he had removed an injector) and had convinced C&RT for about 2 years that he couldn't move as he was waiting for a part - he even put a hydraulic hoist on the back of the boat to enable him to re-fit it.

I believe that eventually he did take a mooring.

Tomsk ?